U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 05:36 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,557,775 times

Advertisements

I've never been negative about McCarthy and he isn't going any where. However, having Aaron has really covered up some ongoing issues with this team.

I think McCarthy is loyal to a fault, I do like position coaches but sometimes some new ideas, might not be a bad idea. He is known for shifting titles around and blocking some from interviewing. Packers may be a team needing to make changes. A long hard look at everything, on all sides of the ball, maybe the staff has been together too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 06:13 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,977,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
With the excellent draft position, I hope Giants take Rosen. address the O-Line and LB which are immediate requirements. Release Marshall and maybe picking up a WR in free agency or draft one in the 2nd round.

Once we address the LT position and LB we can be a strong contender. With so many weapons for Eli with proper protection and an improved run game, we can make NFC East more interesting.
Will Eli Manning be around to use those weapons? If the Giants want to be competitive long term, they need to draft or acquire Manning's replacement.

I like Manning. He has done well for the Giants. He is aging. If he wants an opportunity to win again, he needs to go elsewhere.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I've never been negative about McCarthy and he isn't going any where. However, having Aaron has really covered up some ongoing issues with this team.

I think McCarthy is loyal to a fault, I do like position coaches but sometimes some new ideas, might not be a bad idea. He is known for shifting titles around and blocking some from interviewing. Packers may be a team needing to make changes. A long hard look at everything, on all sides of the ball, maybe the staff has been together too long.
If the Packers have anyone on the hot seat, defensive coordinator Dom Capers should be on it. The Packers' toxic defense has been covered up by Aaron Rodgers' offense. Capers should retire and find work as a consultant or in a broadcast booth.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Will Eli Manning be around to use those weapons? If the Giants want to be competitive long term, they need to draft or acquire Manning's replacement.

I like Manning. He has done well for the Giants. He is aging. If he wants an opportunity to win again, he needs to go elsewhere.
I agree with that. Maybe Eli should follow in his brother's footsteps and head to Denver. He could probably win out there.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM

252 posts, read 386,332 times
Quote:

I highly doubt he will take that route. Maybe he will complete his 2yr contract here in NY and sign with maybe Jags as his relationship is great with Tom C. But with messed up O-Line no matter who we put as QB he will fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I agree with that. Maybe Eli should follow in his brother's footsteps and head to Denver. He could probably win out there.
Jacksonville is a better option for him compare to Denver.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I highly doubt he will take that route. Maybe he will complete his 2yr contract here in NY and sign with maybe Jags as his relationship is great with Tom C. But with messed up O-Line no matter who we put as QB he will fail.

The Giants' offensive line can be improved when the front office and the coaching staff are cleaned out, and a new front office and a new coaching staff proceeds in replacing members of the offensive line with better talents that win game.

Eli Manning could go where he can win quickly, have good relations with previous coaches, and/or play out of the limelight. The Jacksonville Jaguars could be a good fit. They are winning games, have Tom Coughlin in the front office, and go unnoticed. The Denver Broncos and the Indianapolis Colts may have to rebuild short term. I doubt Manning wants to go through a rebuild with another team.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:47 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Quote:
The Giants' offensive line can be improved when the front office and the coaching staff are cleaned out, and a new front office and a new coaching staff proceeds in replacing members of the offensive line with better talents that win game.

Eli Manning could go where he can win quickly, have good relations with previous coaches, and/or play out of the limelight. The Jacksonville Jaguars could be a good fit. They are winning games, have Tom Coughlin in the front office, and go unnoticed. The Denver Broncos and the Indianapolis Colts may have to rebuild short term. I doubt Manning wants to go through a rebuild with another team.
I had forgotten about Tom Coughlin being in the front office at Jacksonville. That would most definitely be a very likely spot for Eli Manning if he does leave New York. Even though I'm a Redskins fan and my job as a 'skins fan is to hate the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys, I have always liked Eli. I guess because he never seems like the flashy type - always seems humble and down to earth. I'd like to see him go somewhere else to finish his career on a positive note. I think he's been rotting away on the Giants' roster for the past few years. I know they made the playoffs last year, but it seems like the G-men have been on a downward spiral for a few seasons, and for a player who's taken that squad to multiple Super Bowl wins, you hate for that quarterback to end his career on such a low note.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 AM

252 posts, read 386,332 times
Quote:
I had forgotten about Tom Coughlin being in the front office at Jacksonville. That would most definitely be a very likely spot for Eli Manning if he does leave New York. Even though I'm a Redskins fan and my job as a 'skins fan is to hate the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys, I have always liked Eli. I guess because he never seems like the flashy type - always seems humble and down to earth. I'd like to see him go somewhere else to finish his career on a positive note. I think he's been rotting away on the Giants' roster for the past few years. I know they made the playoffs last year, but it seems like the G-men have been on a downward spiral for a few seasons, and for a player who's taken that squad to multiple Super Bowl wins, you hate for that quarterback to end his career on such a low note.
This season the issue is an undisclosed dispute between Coach and players. Eli is a true gentleman. Always take hits for his bad team and never complains.

Jerry Reese never expected that the O-line is this bad. He kept on adding weapons for Eli but never gave him protection to utilize the WR/TE. Now we are going downhill even with strong D and sets of talented wideouts.

Giants can very well bounce back next season if O-line and LB issue is addressed. Later (2019 draft) add Alpha RB and take it to next level. But in near future, we need to address O-line. I really don't care about rebuilding the front office as I really like Steve Spag as D coach. New front office means new coaching staff and that can set us back a couple of years as players will have to adjust to a new scheme and new coach. Especially for Eli, it will be difficult. Better to keep the same front office and coach and ride it out for next 2 yrs and switch when you start Davis Webb or Rosen (If Drafted by NYG)

Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,840,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
QB and injuries have killed the franchise. Watt just can't stay healthy, which does diminish their defensive front. Having a carousel of QB's doesn't help the situation either. Watson kept them in some shootouts; however, the injuries to JJ and Whitney have killed them on defense. Now you're back to Savage who can't keep the offense on the field. If I was Hopkins or Fuller, I'd be looking to be traded. I'd argue QB selection and defensive injuries have really handicapped this team. Watson could have likely kept this team out of the grave and relatively respectable, even if they continued to lose games. He was exciting in that regard. However, with his ACL injury, along with the defense, and Savage taking snap from center, this team is just a dumpster fire. I like O'Brien, but he's never had a healthy product from start to finish. They may be at a point to where they have to start looking at life without Watt and wishing him the best in his football journey.

I'm starting to question the same thing with Luck in Indy.
I'm not a fan of O'Brien, either. But I do think he deserves at least one year with Watson as his quarterback. That could be his match. However, he has made some notable questionable calls that he deserves criticism for. He's won division titles with nobodies at quarterback, he should get the benefit of the doubt...

I think Watt will be fine. I think his days as an elite player are over, two straight seasons of debilitating injury, you don't return to All-Pro status after consecutive years like that. But I do think he can still be effective if his snaps and usage are managed, and he means too much to that franchise and city. That's Clowney's line now; use Watt as his complement...

I've been calling it on Luck for awhile. He's too good and accomplished to be called a bust, but even healthy, he wasn't the caliber of player he was advertised to be. This injury has heightened that fact. I do think they should move on from Luck. Brissett is more than competent and one if the best backups in The League. This off-season, they need to put together a plan to jettison Luck for assets, shore up the line in front of Brissett, and target their QB of the future. Brissett can be serviceable, fire the coach too, like yesterday...

Luck can still play and be a winner with the right team aroumd him. He's going to be a hot topic for teams that are only a quarterback away from being a champion (potentially Minnesota, Kansas City potentially, Jacksonville, potentially Washington, maybe even Pittsburgh if Ben retires)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't remember anyone else other than Coughlin getting fires. Coughlins time was up, but the Giants should have embraced a full rebuild IMO and cleaned house, Manning included.
Couldn't agree more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

I've never been a big McCarthy fan. I've always thought he was a lucky a-hole who had the benefit of having Rodgers as his quarterback--just like Dungy was a good coach, but looked much better when Manning was his guy. I think we've seen proof if this when Rodgers hasn't played...

McCarthy is a good coach. Maybe they should evaluate his abilities to lead this franchise, and more importantly, maybe Rodgers should consider his options once his contract is up...

Quote:

Jacksonville is a much better option, from the front office down...

Old 11-08-2017, 10:36 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,160,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm not a fan of O'Brien, either. But I do think he deserves at least one year with Watson as his quarterback. That could be his match. However, he has made some notable questionable calls that he deserves criticism for. He's won division titles with nobodies at quarterback, he should get the benefit of the doubt...

I think Watt will be fine. I think his days as an elite player are over, two straight seasons of debilitating injury, you don't return to All-Pro status after consecutive years like that. But I do think he can still be effective if his snaps and usage are managed, and he means too much to that franchise and city. That's Clowney's line now; use Watt as his complement...

I've been calling it on Luck for awhile. He's too good and accomplished to be called a bust, but even healthy, he wasn't the caliber of player he was advertised to be. This injury has heightened that fact. I do think they should move on from Luck. Brissett is more than competent and one if the best backups in The League. This off-season, they need to put together a plan to jettison Luck for assets, shore up the line in front of Brissett, and target their QB of the future. Brissett can be serviceable, fire the coach too, like yesterday...

Luck can still play and be a winner with the right team aroumd him. He's going to be a hot topic for teams that are only a quarterback away from being a champion (potentially Minnesota, Kansas City potentially, Jacksonville, potentially Washington, maybe even Pittsburgh if Ben retires)...

Couldn't agree more...

I've never been a big McCarthy fan. I've always thought he was a lucky a-hole who had the benefit of having Rodgers as his quarterback--just like Dungy was a good coach, but looked much better when Manning was his guy. I think we've seen proof if this when Rodgers hasn't played...

McCarthy is a good coach. Maybe they should evaluate his abilities to lead this franchise, and more importantly, maybe Rodgers should consider his options once his contract is up...

Jacksonville is a much better option, from the front office down...

Luck in Minny is interesting, but that line isn't many steps above Indy. Although, he'll take far less sacks in Minny, since Indy used Luck as a sacrificial lamb in 2015 and 2016. They were trying to turn his brain into scrambled eggs those seasons. Pagano needs to be gone. The franchise supported him through his cancer treatment, but now he's regressed as a coach. They need to bring in another coach who wants to address and focus on the OL to actually protect a QB. Luck has missed too much time in Indy to make up for lost time. It's time for another team to take a gamble on him. The ride was short, but the last couple seasons, he's had very little pass protection. Now that I think about it, I'd love a healthy Luck in Minny, but I believe the organization still wants to see what Bridgewater has after his nearly career ending injury last season. I think that's fair as well, since the combination of Bradford and Keenum has served well, even in the absence of Dalvin Cook. Adam Thelien is the truth, let me tell you! I'm a little disappointed that Rudolph isn't used as much in the offense this season; however, Thelien's big leap only could stump Rudolph's production.

I love Watt in Texas as well, but his injury his greatly concerns me. Missing a 2 or 3 games is one thing, but missing whole seasons is another. Also have to remember he's a very large framed man and back and leg injuries are not good for a man of his stature. He means a lot to the franchise, but he's such a shell of himself now, I don't know what he brings to the Texans on the field any longer, when compared to the 2012 - 2015 seasons. The Texans need that type of Watt performance to get ahead. At this point, it's like when Jordan was playing for the Wizards. Everyone wanted Chicago Jordan, but Chicago Jordan no longer existed. Father Time had come and gone. I just don't think he's going to return back to his 2012 - 2015 greatness. The team was also arguably better defensively as a unit during those years as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football