U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:39 PM

929 posts, read 298,557 times

Advertisements

The AFC East looked to be finally a pretty competitive division. But the Dolphins had turned into a complete mess, and the Bills aren't far behind (102 points given up in two weeks!). I hate the Ravens, but honestly, and looking at how much of a joke the AFC is this season, they should put a scare into fans of other teams much more than these pitiful AFC wildcard contenders. Buffalo and Tennessee I think are each still ahead in the pecking order! Ugly thought. And yeah, I know Tennessee just edged Baltimore a week ago, but seriously, if your the Patriots or Steelers, who would you rather play? My big mistake forecasting the teams that were getting in, was that Buffalo would fall apart so soon and so much; the Ravens will probably leapfrog them.

KC has hit a big time wall-maybe they'll recover to a degree. Jacksonville is a nice story, but Blake Bortles isn't going to take them to a Super Bowl this season- come on. So barring a major injury to a Brady,etc... here we are again: Patriots vs. Steelers- let's just skip ahead and get ready for an AFC Championship rematch. Did someone seriously still want to challenge me on this thread about the inferiority of the AFC? Should be obvious at this point, no matter how good one thinks Pittsburgh and New England are.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:11 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,516,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Patriots vs. Steelers- let's just skip ahead and get ready for an AFC Championship rematch. Did someone seriously still want to challenge me on this thread about the inferiority of the AFC? Should be obvious at this point, no matter how good one thinks Pittsburgh and New England are.
Eh, I find this pretty silly. In the AFC: I count NE, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas as legitimate threats (true, Baltimore's passing game needs to wake up, and Kansas needs to stop losing). In the NFC: possibly Cowboys, Saints/Panthers/Falcons, Seahawks. The other teams (like Rams and Eagles) are going to choke. That may mean a 9-7 finish, or it may mean getting crushed 24-3 in the first round of the playoffs. Sure there are more teams in the NFC who will finish the regular season strong, but that means little. It's kind of like "lol cavs just lost to the rockets, the east is so weak ... " when really it'll come down to Cleveland and Golden State, regardless of which conference they play in.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
the Dolphins had turned into a complete mess
I remember at the start of the TNF game they were making this huge deal about how they were on a 13-4 run or something like that in the regular season (past 2 years) as if they were going to crush it... then they got whooped 40-0. Lol

Old 11-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Eh, I find this pretty silly. In the AFC: I count NE, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas as legitimate threats (true, Baltimore's passing game needs to wake up, and Kansas needs to stop losing). In the NFC: possibly Cowboys, Saints/Panthers/Falcons, Seahawks. The other teams (like Rams and Eagles) are going to choke. That may mean a 9-7 finish, or it may mean getting crushed 24-3 in the first round of the playoffs. Sure there are more teams in the NFC who will finish the regular season strong, but that means little. It's kind of like "lol cavs just lost to the rockets, the east is so weak ... " when really it'll come down to Cleveland and Golden State, regardless of which conference they play in.
Why is it "silly"? As opposed to the Rams and Eagles are going to choke while offering no insight as to why?

Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 PM

My bad- Baltimore actually is in and Buffalo is out as of now. Didn't take long for the Bills to collapse after they looked to be safely in as a wildcard team and perhaps even give the Patriots a run for their money. The Jets really deserve to be in before most of these dubious AFC contenders. At least they have been competitive each week and have overachieved.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 PM

11,729 posts, read 11,570,688 times
I don't see the Eagles and Vikings choking, Saints are going to be in there probably. Thing of it is, 3 teams have 8 wins, 2 have 7 wins, teams having only 5 have a tough road. If those top teams don't start losing a team like the Cowboys with 5 wins can't catch up.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Why is it "silly"? As opposed to the Rams and Eagles are going to choke while offering no insight as to why?
They aren't true super bowl teams. If the goal is to make the playoffs, sure. I don't see Case Keenum (edit: Goff, oops, you said Rams) going to the SB, and Philadelphia teams always choke in the playoffs in every sport. I could very easily see the Eagles hosting Seattle in the divisional round and getting crushed.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:53 PM

Like I mentioned earlier, somebody is going to be disappointed in the NFC. A 10-6 team (perhaps even two) is going to be sitting at home for the playoffs. I don't think highly of Detroit, but with their easy remaining schedule, they likely make it. We'll see what Dallas is made of without Elliott, but they have other issues as well, and my guess is they'll be out. (my sentiments might change quite a bit if they can upset Philly tonight).

Seattle is an average team at best, especially without Sherman now. The offensive line continues to be a mess and I don't understand the love affair by some of the national media for this team; living on borrowed time.

I'm not a believer that Atlanta is past their issues- Shanahan was everything to that team's success a year ago and at this point there is too little margin for error.

So my guess is that Carolina will lose a second time at New Orleans, but be the second wildcard. You can't trust Carolina week-to-week, but there is enough of an upside and if Cam Newton can still pass well despite the WR situation, I suspect Carolina sneaks in.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
They aren't true super bowl teams. If the goal is to make the playoffs, sure. I don't see Case Keenum (edit: Goff, oops, you said Rams) going to the SB, and Philadelphia teams always choke in the playoffs in every sport. I could very easily see the Eagles hosting Seattle in the divisional round and getting crushed.
The Rams can do some damage, but no, Super Bowl is asking too much, I agree. But Seattle is not a threat and sure won't be able to compete with Philadelphia. Philly teams always choke? So I'm suppose to be a disbeliever in the Eagles's success this season because of what happened to the NHL Flyers or MLB Phillies in the past? BTW Villanova is one season removed from winning the national championship.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:05 PM

I suspect we'll see an NFC South team in the SB again. Perhaps New Orleans this time around. I have a very hard time trusting any Philadelphia sports team. They always choke when they get to the playoffs. Heck, the Sixers dropped 47 on the Warriors in Q1 last night and still lost. Predicting Philadelphia to get to the SB is like predicting the Nationals to win a playoff series.

They've got a couple of nice wins under their belt, but nothing to convince me they can make a SB run. Let's have this conversation after they face Dallas twice and Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or