U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM

28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times

Advertisements

Whose side are you on?

NFL lays groundwork to potentially remove Jerry Jones as Dallas Cowboys owner after accusing him of ‘damaging the League'

The NFL sent a letter to Jerry Jones' attorney Wednesday laying the foundation to potentially remove Jones as owner of the Dallas Cowboys due to his ongoing sabotage of commissioner Roger Goodell's contract extension, as first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

Section 8.13, titled "Disciplinary Power of Commissioner", gives Goodell the authorization to discipline an owner if he or she "has either violated the Constitution and Bylaws of the League or has been or is guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the League or professional football."

Jones previously said it's "laughable" to suggest he would be ousted as owner of the Cowboys.

"I've had not one inkling of communication with the league office or any owner that would suggest something that laughable and ridiculous," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan.

Jones is a member of the Hall of Fame. He isn't going anywhere anytime soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:56 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,195,765 times
It probably won't go that far. Maybe he'll be fined.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:55 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
I hate both of them, but Im on Jones side here because im glad someone had the guts to rein in the tyrant of a Commissioner the NFL has. Goodell basically made it personal with Elliott and Brady and I dont think that is conduct becoming of a commissioner.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Jones seems like a real Richard to me, Goodell is powerful enough to bury him underneath the new Vegas stadium but will probably be a nice guy and just send him packing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Whose side are you on?

Jones is a member of the Hall of Fame. He isn't going anywhere anytime soon...
so is O.J.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM

28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I hate both of them, but Im on Jones side here because im glad someone had the guts to rein in the tyrant of a Commissioner the NFL has. Goodell basically made it personal with Elliott and Brady and I dont think that is conduct becoming of a commissioner.
This is where I am.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
I have zero sympathy for Jerry Jones. He had zero issues with the sham that was deflategate, so now listening to him cry about how the league is handling the Elliot investigation is laughable. This guy owes all of his success as an owner to Jimmy Johnson who he chased out of town because Jerry's ego is so big. Dallas hasn't won anything in the last 21 years and Jones is a big reason for it.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,555,061 times
Totally agree with the previous post, Jerry Jones ego is huge, and it is all about him, he doesn't care about anyone else. He is so wrong here, and if they had been smart Zeke would have served the suspension, and he'd be back playing. Now he is serving the 6 games, totally dumb.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
Fighting the suspension itself is more about principle than not having Zeke available IMO. Jones understandably is upset about his player being suspended when he was not even charged by the legal system for the "crime" he was suspended for. At least in deflategate, there was actual (albeit flimsy) evidence of wrongdoing. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think Jones is seriously worried about the power and thought process of a commissioner who would suspend someone without them even being tried by the court and a question of character by the accuser.

Personal feelings aside, I think Jones, indirectly, is trying to protect the league from a tyrant with a God complex.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:03 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,368,152 times
Zeke is an idiot with a record of doing stupid things. It was only a matter of time before an idiot player was going to pay for past NFL mistakes. Jones should have let this go and sucked it up. Then again he thinks Greg Hardy is a model citizen. That's all you need to know about Jones.

Goodell is worthless but this "tyrant" talk is nonsense. He's doing the bidding of 30 of 32 NFL owners.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 PM

32,483 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Quote:
Quote:
Fighting the suspension itself is more about principle than not having Zeke available IMO. Jones understandably is upset about his player being suspended when he was not even charged by the legal system for the "crime" he was suspended for. At least in deflategate, there was actual (albeit flimsy) evidence of wrongdoing. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think Jones is seriously worried about the power and thought process of a commissioner who would suspend someone without them even being tried by the court and a question of character by the accuser.

Personal feelings aside, I think Jones, indirectly, is trying to protect the league from a tyrant with a God complex.
while jones isnt the most likeable of owners, reichsfuhrer goodell needs to go. the only reason elliot got a six game suspension, despite the fact that there was no evidence against him, and his accuser recanted her testimony, is because goodell got hammered because of the way the ray rice incident was handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or