Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 04:45 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,540 times

Advertisements

They didn't play well at all but the Eagles now have a first round bye.
They will be able to clinch home field with a win over Oakland. Hopefully, being at home, they can get their defensive mojo back.
Hopefully, they won't have any road games in the playoffs.
They finished at 6-2 on the road. That's pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 04:58 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
They didn't play well at all but the Eagles now have a first round bye.
They will be able to clinch home field with a win over Oakland. Hopefully, being at home, they can get their defensive mojo back.
Hopefully, they won't have any road games in the playoffs.
They finished at 6-2 on the road. That's pretty darn good.
The Eagles have clinched the tiebreaker with Minnesota - the two teams don't play so there is no head-do-head tiebreaker, the Eagles can't finish with a worse conference record than the Vikings (that's the second tiebreaker) and the Eagles went 5-0 in the games they have in common with the Vikings while Minnesota is 3-1 in those games with one remaining (that's the third tiebreaker). Also, they've clinched tiebreakers with the Panthers and Ram (they beat both of those teams) and the Saints (common games).

So all the Eagles have to do is beat either Oakland or Dallas, or have Minnesota lose either of their final two games, and they're the #1 seed.

Philadelphia handed Minnesota the driver's seat for the top seed with their loss a couple of week ago to Seattle, and Minnesota handed it right back with last week's loss to the Panthers.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:40 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
It's time to blow up the Seattle Seahawks. You don't know how much that hurt me to say, as a Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson fan. Regardless of if they make the playoffs or not, it's time to blow it up...

This has been an embarrassing season and has to be unacceptable for what has been one of the most consistent franchises in The League for the past 5-6 years. They won a title, were a play away from another one, had one of the greatest defenses of all time that led the NFL in scoring defense for five years in a row. It's time to tear this thing down...

Some of these personalities have to go. I don't want to say who, but some really tough decisions have to be made on some guys that have been instrumental to the team's success this decade. Clean em out, and commit to building your team around an elite QB, offense-first. He's still only 29 and he's class personified. He deserves to compete for championships the rest of his career, and he's carried this team with its declining defense, questionable character, and embarrassing complimentary offensive pieces for two years now. Russell Wilson deserves better...

Commit to building from an offense-first perspective, and stop this bull**** with disregarding the offensive line. Invest HEAVILY in that line this off-season, invest in stronger players at the skill positions. Yes, the defense needs an overhaul too, but they have to start acting like they value Russell Wilson. Give the man everything he needs to succeed on that side of the ball...

I have faith in John Schneider and Pete Carroll. True, they've created this unsavory culture there, but then again, the way they built this thing took them to back-to-back Super Bowls. They deserve the benefit if the doubt, and I think they both are top-tier talent at their respective positions. However, another year like this, and I'd fire them both. The current championship window is vacuumed closed. Let's start building towards a new run, with a new era and a complete culture change. If that means the team has to suffer through another missed playoff year next year, while they find the right pieces and acclimate to the new culture, I'll take it if it comes without the ejections, unsportsmanlike conduct, cancerous personalities and another year of asking Wilson to just run for his life. The last era was great while it lasted. Time to build for a new one...

Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 PM

939 posts, read 505,302 times
When I predicted a sound LA win, it didn't mean I thought Seattle would be down 34-0 at home at halftime!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:19 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Packers are out, last time they missed was 2008, playoffs 8 years in a row, this might be good, maybe a shake up is in order.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 AM

In the 39 seasons of Saints football before the Sean Payton/Drew Brees era, the Saints had won ten games in a season just five times; had never won more than 12 games; were 1-5 all-time in the playoffs and had never advanced beyond the Divisional Round; had never earned a bye week; had only seven winning seasons in 39 years of football; and had a winning percentage of .404 all-time, basically a perennial 6-10 team (or worse)...

Since the 2006 dawn of a new day, the Saints have won 1p games six times in twelve seasons, more than the franchise ever won before them. The Saints have won 13 games twice, been to two NFC Championship Games and won a Super Bowl, are 6-4 in the postseason, have earned two bye weeks, have had six winning seasons, and have a winning percentage of .568, basically a 9-10 win team each year...

Talk about turning around an organization!

I know Brady and Belichick are more prolific and lauded, but Bress/Payton are one of the greatest QB-coach duos ever. I really want them to run the table...

Old 12-19-2017, 09:05 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints do it. It is interesting how they have Brees talent but have embraced the run game. They will be a tough out, I think. I wish McCarthy would take note of the Saints, he talks balance all the time, doesn't do it.

I also think the Eagles have come a long way and could do well, too, tough luck losing their QB.

It is interesting that 5 of the 6 teams in the NFC did not make the playoffs last year!

Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints do it. It is interesting how they have Brees talent but have embraced the run game. They will be a tough out, I think. I wish McCarthy would take note of the Saints, he talks balance all the time, doesn't do it.

I also think the Eagles have come a long way and could do well, too, tough luck losing their QB.

It is interesting that 5 of the 6 teams in the NFC did not make the playoffs last year!
The NFC is a gauntlet and I honestly believe anybody can win the conference. I truly believe it! Whoever the 6-seed is, whether the Falcons hang on or the Lions, Seahawks, or Cowboys sneak in, Miss Susan can you tell me a year you've ever seen a more competitive conference in all your years following the game? I've been watching the game for 18 years and have never seen such a loaded conference!

--if the Seahawks get in they will have earned it and should be considered dangerous simply because of that. If the Cowboys get in they would potentially be riding a 5-game winning streak, and if the Lions make it, well at the very least they should be competitive...
--Atlanta has rediscovered that it has one of the most dangerous offenses in football, and they have a defense generating pressure. If they get in I can absolutely see them beating anybody in the field...
--Carolina has also rediscovered it's offense, has had an elite defense all year, and probably present the biggest matchup issues across the board...
--when the Saints are clicking they are the most balanced team in football, period. On both sides if the ball. If they take their A-game into the playoffs, it's hard to see anybody beating them...
--the Rams have the greatest point differential in The League and can blow anyone off the field. They also have the greatest defensive player in football who is the individually worst matchup nightmare in the entire game...
--the Vikings may have the best defense in the NFL, will be playing at home, and have the new era Rich Gannon growing before our eyes...
--the Eagles are DEFINITELY still a threat with Nick Foles, who may seriously play his way into a starting job and huge payday elsewhere if the Eagles finish this thing out...

Everyone's record versus current playoff teams, including teams still in the hunt:

Philadelphia 4-2 (.667)
Carolina 6-3 (.667)
Minnesota 5-3 (.625)
Los Angeles 4-3 (.571)
New Orleans 5-4 (.556)
Atlanta 4-5 (.444)
Seattle 2-4 (.333)
Dallas 1-4 (.200)
Detroit 1-6 (.143)

Proving that anyone can beat anyone (except maybe Detroit lol), all of these teams' losses were only to other playoff-level teams: Philly (@KC, @Sea); Minnesota (@Pitt, Det, @Car); NO (@Minn, NE, @LAR, @Atl); Atlanta (Buff, Mia, @NE, @Car, Minn); Detroit (Atl, Car, @NO, Pitt, Minn, @Balt)....these teams weren't losing to bottom-feeders. The only teams beating these teams were other good teams...

I'm starting to believe Carolina may be the toughest out in the playoffs. They are the most battle-tested and have the most wins versus playoff opponents. None if these teams are unbeatable; every single one of them has had flaws exposed in losses and even wins (Eagles secondary is looking VERY vulnerable right now!). The NFC is a pick-em!

Old 12-19-2017, 01:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

I am offended that you don't want to see the Vikings do it.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Well, I probably read too many comments from their fan base following internet articles! And it was the Vikings that took Rodgers out, football play or not, he could have pulled up. Easier road to the top with the Packers out of the picture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football