U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:08 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times

Advertisements

Teams in the hunt and their record against other teams with winning records...

1-1 Philadelphia
4-1 Minnesota
2-2 LA Rams
2-3 New Orleans
2-2 Seattle
2-3 Carolina
1-3 Atlanta
1-6 Detroit
1-5 Green Bay
0-3 Dallas

I don't see much changing with the top 5 at this point, maybe Carolina and Atlanta could switch for #6 but Atlanta has the toughest schedule remaining in the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 AM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Teams in the hunt and their record against other teams with winning records...

1-1 Philadelphia
4-1 Minnesota
2-2 LA Rams
2-3 New Orleans
2-2 Seattle
2-3 Carolina
1-3 Atlanta
1-6 Detroit
1-5 Green Bay
0-3 Dallas

I don't see much changing with the top 5 at this point, maybe Carolina and Atlanta could switch for #6 but Atlanta has the toughest schedule remaining in the league.
Carolina has a tough remaining schedule, so they could slip out of the playoffs if they drop two more games. Green Bay might be getting Aaron Rodgers back, but the Packers have a tough remaining schedule as well, and that would be very impressive if the Pack found a way to run the tables. The Falcons have all division games left - two against the Saints. I don't think the Falcons are strong enough to win out, so I don't see them making it. Detroit? Nope, not this year. Dallas? Nope, they're not making it in either. I think it will wind up being Carolina for the six seed. If there are any changes, it would either be Carolina or Atlanta, but I think what we're seeing now with the top six seeds will be what you see by the end of week 17.

I think the Saints are at least the best team in the NFC right now. And the Eagles and Vikings are 2a and 2b.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Carolina has a tough remaining schedule, so they could slip out of the playoffs if they drop two more games. Green Bay might be getting Aaron Rodgers back, but the Packers have a tough remaining schedule as well, and that would be very impressive if the Pack found a way to run the tables. The Falcons have all division games left - two against the Saints. I don't think the Falcons are strong enough to win out, so I don't see them making it. Detroit? Nope, not this year. Dallas? Nope, they're not making it in either. I think it will wind up being Carolina for the six seed. If there are any changes, it would either be Carolina or Atlanta, but I think what we're seeing now with the top six seeds will be what you see by the end of week 17.

I think the Saints are at least the best team in the NFC right now. And the Eagles and Vikings are 2a and 2b.
I think Seattle still has a good chance of slipping out of the mix. They have an away game next week in Jacksonville, then host the Rams before traveling to Dallas where the Cowboys will have Ezekiel Elliot back.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Seattle isn't as strong as the other teams, Panthers have issues, too. 1-4 are strong teams, watch out for the Saints and Rams. Saints with the run game are a team to watch.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Eagles are fools gold, if they lose to Rams next week--and I think they will--they will prove what I've said all along, not as good as everyone thought...

The best team in the NFC is Minnesota. Philly needs home field advantage for the postseason, but even with it, I can see 3-4 teams going there and winning. I only trust one team to beat Minnesota right now, and that's the Saints. Right now that's my NFC Championship Game...

The NFC is a murderer's row this year and whoever represents the conference 'should win it all. It's a round robin. Look at this:

--Vikings have beaten Rams, Falcons, Saints, Ravens, but lost to the untrustworthy Lions at home and beat the Saints in Week 1 before the Saints worked out their issues...
--Eagles beat the Chargers and Panthers but lost to a Chiefs team that has been exposed as pretenders and a Seahawks team that lost two straight games at home and purportedly has a weak secondary. Both of Philly's losses were on the road, this team has no shot if they don't have home field...
--Rams beat Jaguars and Saints but got run over in Minnesota and lost at home to a Seahawks team they should have beaten. Serious questions about this team winning NFCCG on the road too, and questions if Seattle is still the division bully...
--Saints have beaten Panthers twice, beat the Bills, and beat a competitive Redskins team that beat both the Rams and Hawks in their own buildings, but started slow losing to Pats and Vikings and looked completely disheveled losing to the Rams...
--Seattle beat the Rams and Eagles but lost to the Falcons, Titans, and Aaron Rodgers Packers. Best team in the NFL with that much injury issues. Still have championship pedigree and can hang with anybody...
--why should I trust the Panthers? They beat the Falcons and the Patriots in Week 4, but they lost to New Orleans twice, lost to Philly, lost to the Bears and struggled to put away the Jets...
--why should I trust the Falcons? They beat the Seahawks, Aaron Rodgers Packers, and an half-empty Cowboys team, but lost to everybody else: Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Vikings, most of those at home...

The rest of the teams in the hunt are too flawed. The Lions are unbelievably soft and untrustworthy; the Packers have been exposed as too quarterback-reliant and those kind of teams aren't winning it all; the Cowboys have been exposed as too running back and Sean Lee-reliant and aren't a serious contender...

The top 4 seeds could beat each other any day on any field, so it's a toss up. All 4 have weaknesses one of the other top 4 could expose...

The Seahawks would be the best team in the entire NFL with a competent O-line and healthy defense (missing Avril, Sherman, Chancellor). They are still good enough to challenge the Top 4 but I can't see them winning the conference missing those stars and having those offensive line issues...

The Panthers aren't good enough to beat anybody in the field in postseason play. The Falcons are, but they've been exposed as soft, too, and you can't be soft and win a road game versus the Top 4...

Old 12-04-2017, 11:35 AM

if the Vikings lose on the road to Carolina and the Eagles lose on the road in LA (Rams) this week and then win their remaining games, the Saints would still be able to take over the #1 seed in the NFC if they win out.

2017 NFL Playoff Machine - Simulate Matchups and Scenarios - ESPN

Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 PM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think Seattle still has a good chance of slipping out of the mix. They have an away game next week in Jacksonville, then host the Rams before traveling to Dallas where the Cowboys will have Ezekiel Elliot back.
Good point! I think by the end of the season, anyone who gets into those wild card spots will have earned it. Meaning, all of those teams have a tough road if they want to make the playoffs. Honestly, might bold well for some of the other teams that at best will wind up 9-7, although I don't think 9-7 stands a chance at the post season this year.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 PM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
Nobody thinks Detroit is good, but the teams that get in aren't always the actual six best. I thought Detroit had an easy schedule a few weeks ago, but I thought they would win one of their past two games. Seattle was terrific for one night, but I'm still not buying, especially with the remaining schedule. Atlanta will have a tough time making it as well without sweeping the Saints, hence perhaps winning the division. But hard to fathom the Saints losing twice to Atlanta. Green Bay is just hanging on for dear life. Just buying time in finding ways to slide by the Tampa Bays of the world until Rodgers returns. I think Dallas, despite its litany of issues, could run the tables even until Elliott is back. Schedule is pretty easy until the last week, and perhaps Philly will be locked into its seed by then, hence Philly rests it's starters.
Suddenly I see 10-6 being enough to earn a wildcard in the NFC without even having to invoke a tie breaker. I was not so sure of that being the case not too long ago. But who that team will be besides Carolina, it's difficult to say.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
I really didn't think 10-6 would get a team a spot in the NFC. AFC, yes, no doubt. All these division games at the end of the season will definitely play a part this year. It will be interesting to see which teams keep up the pace, or start to fade away.

Lions are a mystery, can't get out of their own way, always seem to be on the edge of something, not quite there. I'm thinking Seattle may fade away, too many key players injured, Wilson trying to will them to do this (sounds familiar)!

I'm not sure about the Falcons and I said earlier, Saints I would be worried about, and who are these Rams?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:57 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,669,212 times
Minnesota seems to be playing the best in the NFC right now....impressive ROAD win against a tough opponent. Most balanced team also...

I can't pick New Orleans because of their latest performance in LA....

the problem w/Minnesota is Case Keenum is hard for people to believe in (outside of MN)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or