Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 01:25 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,204,497 times

Advertisements

Joe Fortunato and JC Caroline from some rough 'n' tough Bear defenses including the great 1963 version that set certain records, like fewest points, that have since been surpassed.

When Johnny U. was spinning tales while in his cups treating folks to drinks at his watering hole, he'd say that his 1st pass went for a pic 6 by JC. Urban myth. Although it was his first TD pass in a way, (the wrong way) his first passes were a few weeks earlier in the year. Fans were too polite to correct him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 AM

18,147 posts, read 25,686,674 times
There is not a lot of print regarding the Chicago Bears before players like Dick Butkus and Mike Ditka came around, but there should. The term "Monsters Of The Midway?" Well IMO it should definitely apply to the Bears of the early 1960's and before.

Their secondary with J.C. Caroline had Rosey Taylor, Dave Whitsel, and Richie Petibon and were one of the best secondaries of the league. And Bill George, Doug Atkins, Earl Leggett, and Ed O'Bradovich? Great players--George and Atkins are in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 PM

5,403 posts, read 8,083,726 times
J.C. Caroline was a sensational running back when he played for the University of Illinois. One year he led the nation in rushing.

I always wondered why he wasn't a running back in the NFL.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,204,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
J.C. Caroline was a sensational running back when he played for the University of Illinois. One year he led the nation in rushing.

I always wondered why he wasn't a running back in the NFL.

Yeah, that's how I recall Caroline's college stint too. Great running back.

I dunno if Papa Bear gave him a shot at offense at first. Although they had a solid FB in Rick Casares, the running backs were meh. I think that Bobby Watkins got the lion's share of HB carries. There also was Perry Jeter who was like 5'6" or so. So it's a bit of a puzzle to me too.

But a couple of years later, they got Willie Galimore who became their featured HB until he passed away in a car accident. The other HB was actually used as a flanker, Johnny Morris. Of course they still had Casares getting the tough yards. Then they got Gale Sayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football