U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 07:13 PM

10,704 posts, read 11,110,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Gotdamn Andy Reid...

Stop with the rigged crap. The only real questionable call was the Mariota TD to himself, I thought he was over the line, but wasn't really a definitive look to overturn. Henry was clearly down on his run and the Mariota 2-pt play was whistled dead long before he fumbled. That's typically what happens on a live play where a runner gets pushed back 10 yards but he's still on his feet--they blow it dead. Everybody thinking the Chiefs got jobbed are skipping over the real problem...

Andy Reid is now 1-4 in his Chiefs playoff career and 11-13 all time. This is his fourth one and done and the man has made a career of flaming out in the postseason after great regular seasons. There is plenty of blame to go around for Kansas City. You can't blow an 18-point lead at home in the playoffs. You just can't....but leave to Coach Reid, he consistently finds ways to lose in the playoffs, majority of time as the favored team. Overrated!
This! So much this! All the complaints about officiating ignore the Chiefs under Reid are 1-4 in the playoffs (and STILL a vastly improved franchise from the one Reid inherited). The only win was against one of the weakest playoff teams in recent memory and the losses include a blown 28 point lead, a loss after a bye week, and now this: a loss to what many considered the weakest playoff team after leading 21-3. Even the most “respectable” loss wasn’t as close a game as the 27-20 final @ Patriots would indicate: it was a 2 score game and the Chiefs took forever to close the gap to the 7 point difference.

Instead of blaming referees, fans should maybe familiarize themselves with the history here. The Chiefs truly are better under Reid than they were before his arrival. But these types of playoff failures are nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,843,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Like grieving over the loss of a loved-one, NFL fans grieve in a certain predictable way....usually first blaming the referees/NFL for being rigged....
Exactly!

How much more evidence do we need to see to admit this guy just doesn't have the same juice in the playoffs that he has in the regular season? The 2001 NFCCG was one of the best playoff games I ever saw but he let that one slip away...the 2002 NFCCG was tied at halftime at 10-all before Reid's Eagles came out flat in the second half. AT HOME...the 2003 NFCCG at home again, got completely embarassed...his 2009 Eagles never even showed up for the loss at Dallas...2010 was favored over Packers at home and lost...

The epic Wild Card collapse in 2013 to the Colts will never be forgotten. Up 21 at halftime, 28 early in the 3rd, just one of the worst collapses you will ever see...the embarrassing showing versus Pittsburgh last year...

This 18-point collapse is his second biggest choke job and there are a litany of examples of questionable coaching and play-calling in Reid's playoff history. Furthermore, his teams always seem to lack that extra motivation to seal the deal in the postseason. He's the coaching version of Peyton Manning, minus the Super Bowls...

Old 01-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This! So much this! All the complaints about officiating ignore the Chiefs under Reid are 1-4 in the playoffs (and STILL a vastly improved franchise from the one Reid inherited). The only win was against one of the weakest playoff teams in recent memory and the losses include a blown 28 point lead, a loss after a bye week, and now this: a loss to what many considered the weakest playoff team after leading 21-3. Even the most “respectable” loss wasn’t as close a game as the 27-20 final @ Patriots would indicate: it was a 2 score game and the Chiefs took forever to close the gap to the 7 point difference.

Instead of blaming referees, fans should maybe familiarize themselves with the history here. The Chiefs truly are better under Reid than they were before his arrival. But these types of playoff failures are nothing new.
All of this, too!

Reid is a guy you want who can make a troubled franchise or bad team a perennial playoff team. But he's NOT a championship coach. If you're hoping to hang your hat on him getting your team a Lombardi, you may be a little naive. The guy is Marvin Lewis with playoff wins...

Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 PM

929 posts, read 297,806 times
Tennessee or Buffalo at Foxboro next Saturday night. Eek. This really is the game the NFL wants in the Primetime slot?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 PM

580 posts, read 376,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Gotdamn Andy Reid...

Stop with the rigged crap. The only real questionable call was the Mariota TD to himself, I thought he was over the line, but wasn't really a definitive look to overturn. Henry was clearly down on his run and the Mariota 2-pt play was whistled dead long before he fumbled. That's typically what happens on a live play where a runner gets pushed back 10 yards but he's still on his feet--they blow it dead. Everybody thinking the Chiefs got jobbed are skipping over the real problem...

Andy Reid is now 1-4 in his Chiefs playoff career and 11-13 all time. This is his fourth one and done and the man has made a career of flaming out in the postseason after great regular seasons. There is plenty of blame to go around for Kansas City. You can't blow an 18-point lead at home in the playoffs. You just can't....but leave to Coach Reid, he consistently finds ways to lose in the playoffs, majority of time as the favored team. Overrated!

I didn't see the game only the highlight vids and I too was wondering if MM had crossed the LOS.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:22 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,171,215 times
As a long time Chiefs fan I expected this. Was hoping perhaps this year might be different. Sadly Andy went all turtle in the second half which left an already suspect defense on the field way too much. So we say good bye to Derick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Dee Ford, and Alex Smith. I'm really hoping we will be able to also say good bye to Bob Sutton the defensive coordinator too. I'm hoping Mat Nagy, the offensive coordinator, doesn't get snatched up by some other team needing a head coach this off season. The pain of this loss is mitigated by the thought of saying hello to the Pat Mahomes era. I hope there will be enough needy teams to start a mini bidding war for a trade of Alex Smith as the Chiefs really need as many draft picks as possible to replenish their failing defense. Andy also needs to find a young, aggressive defensive coordinator to light a fire under the defensive players. Preferably one who has never heard of a prevent defense. I'm also hoping that the front office will have Andy on a short leash next year and not be afraid to pull the trigger on him if there is a repeat of this year's result. Playing "not to lose" would be a complete waste of Pat Mahomes' talent. Should the worse case prevail next year and Andy gets the ax, please no more retread head coaches as the odds of a retread getting to the Super Bowl and winning are very slim.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:35 PM

Both road teams won on opening day of Wild Card weekend for the first time since KC and Pittsburgh dud it two years ago...

Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 PM

6,779 posts, read 10,186,555 times
0-1 for AFC picks.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:07 AM

929 posts, read 297,806 times
After today's games, I am reminded how much more difficult it is to try and predict the NFL playoffs than once upon a time. Think too halfway thru the season about who you thought would be around in the divisional playoffs and who wouldn't. Most probably thought KC would be around because they would be on a bye. Most thought Atlanta would be a distant memory after the horrific loss to Miami and then the lethargic follow-up at Foxboro. It's become difficult to take any stock in what a team has done lately. Buffalo today will be interesting. They seem to have momentum the way things went down in Week 17. But it can't be forgotten how crappy the Bills have generally looked since being 5-2, including somehow making a 22-3 game in the last six minutes in Miami an adventure. And I don't want to hear about it only being about an unnecessary QB change.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 01-07-2018 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 12:29 AM

28,545 posts, read 15,485,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
I didn't see the game only the highlight vids and I too was wondering if MM had crossed the LOS.
No he did not.

Rule (paraphrasing)... any part of the body behind the line of scrimmage implies the QB (or throwing player) is behind the line of scrimmage.

The interesting part to me is that if he was under center, he would not have been an eligible receiver... but since he was in the shotgun, he was an eligible receiver.

Regarding the two point conversion/holy roller play - the ref had clearly stopped the play since forward progress had stopped, before the fumble occurred.

For those thinking the game is rigged... please stop.

If you think they want a close game for ratings... see Falcons v Rams... they could have given the Rams player the TD catch late in the 4thQ to cut the game in half, but rightly reversed the call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or