U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 06:33 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,133,277 times

Advertisements

0-2 in the AFCs. I say again: I was failed by my AFC picks. I was dumped to a 1-3 overall (when including the NFCs) and left wounded in the ditch.

At the risk of repeating myself... Drew Breese and the Saints were the only team which stepped up for the Colt this Wild Card Weekend. If my current Bandwagon Vikings fail me next weekend, I'm jumping on the Breeser Bandwagon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 AM

10,701 posts, read 11,108,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
Well of course hindsight being 20/20 and all, very comical. But before the game I would have asked this writer if he had watched the Chiefs defense at all this year? Anyone who had would have known that anything less than a 4 touchdown lead was not a safe lead. Couple that with the Chiefs history in the playoffs and one could easily add another 2 touchdowns to that margin of safety. Of course with Andy Reid's propensity of going all turtle with a 2 score lead you have the perfect formula for what happened.
Or if he was familiar with Reid's history in the playoffs? Or that Smith really seems to struggle against LeBeau defenses? None of those meant the Titans were a lock, but they should have been enough to avoid over confidence. And to be fair, among the fan comments on sites like this were the smattering of fans like you who were not at all overconfident and in some cases outright cynical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I would also disagree with his assertion that this will be a dark off season because of this loss. What would make this a dark off season would be if the Chiefs decided to keep Alex Smith. Fortunately I think their finances make that a near impossibility. There are bright rays of light shining through the dark clouds of that loss thanks to Pat Mahomes and the progress he has shown from the preseason through to his showing against the Broncos in the last game of the season. The biggest difference I see between the two is that Alex Smith, at least during his years with the Chiefs, never seemed to be the sort of QB that raises the level of the players around him. Alex needed to be surrounded by top level players in order for him to shine. Example: this year. He finally had what could be considered elite weapons at running back, wide receiver, and tight end and he put up the best year of his career, but failed miserably in the second half of the playoff game. On the other hand Pat Mahomes was able to make marginal receivers and back-ups into winners during his brief stints at QB. Fix the defense to where it is at least middling, replace Alex with Pat, and the Chiefs future looks very bright.
I see both his point and yours alike. I can see why fans would be excited about Mahomes. But in the NFL nothing is assured. Mahomes could be great but undermined by a bottom tier defense next year and the Chiefs may find themselves having to score 30+ just to offset the defense. Or he may prove to be boom or bust and not consistent enough to lead the team to the playoffs. Or he could be great and the defense good enough to complement and the Chiefs continue to reach the playoffs. Bottom line: we don't know.

What we do know is the Chiefs were in the playoffs THIS year and were unable to capitalize. Since there are no guarantees in the NFL you have to seize the opportunities in front of you. The Chiefs did have a boom or bust season but they went into the playoffs in their boom cycle and were a trendy pick to potentially disrupt the recent trend of higher seeded teams reaching the Super Bowl. In other words: Expectations were pretty high and the Chiefs disappointed. That does make it a pretty dark off season.

The other reason it may be considered a dark off season is the quality of the opponent. Going in few had any respect for the Titans, hence the article I linked to begin with. It's not enough that expectations were high, but the Chiefs even had the benefit of drawing an opponent they were pining for as the week 17 action concluded. Most of the coverage was on the Bills fans thanking the Bengals for the win over the Ravens, which put the Bills in the playoffs. But what that also did was push the Titans into the #5 seed, a spot the Ravens held. I saw numerous Chiefs fans celebrating this, happy to avoid the Ravens and get the Titans. The fallout from this probably will make it a pretty dark off season.

But by late summer all the optimism will return. Mahomes does look promising and I can see why people would be excited for him.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 AM

28,533 posts, read 15,479,779 times
Just heard... Chiefs, in the second half, threw 33 times and ran the ball 5 times in the second half.

Is that correct? Definitely not a winning formula when up 18.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:11 AM

4,891 posts, read 3,980,500 times
Well, the playoffs continue with the Steelers and the Patriots holding the top two seeds....Again

I think that if History repeats itself, then the same thing will happen

The question is the Jaguars defense vs an inconsistent Steelers offense.
And the Titans sneaking in and winning in Foxboro, which Bilecheck is not likely to allow.
BUT according to ESPN, the Patriots are starting to unravel from within, and this could be the beginning of the end

THen again, if the NFL is Rigged, like tha Rasslin, then what better story line than to have Brady win another SUper Bowl at 40 ?

These are questions to ponder as I remind you not to believe everything you read.

So we are down to 8 teams in the playoffs
Here is the breakdown
2 Birds 2 Historical figures, 1 marauder 1 Mythic creature 1 Blue Collar worker and finally 1 Cat

SO I am taking the Titans vs PATRIOTS I don't see Bilecheck getting outplayed or out-coached this week like Reid was. There is what I also call an NFL Scramble of sorts. The Chiefs beat the Patriots, the Titans beat the Chiefs so CW would say that the Titans would also beat the Patriots, but that is NOT how the NFL works. Usually, that would mean in reality the Patriots beat the Titans

Jaguars at STEELERS Keep in mind this is coming from a cat who picked 1-3 the first week. Which was as entertaining as the Sports reporters at halftime talking about all the things the Buffaloes and Jaguars were doing wrong.......Big advice from guys like Boomer Esiason, and the Godfather James Brown who never even won a Super Bowl. Which is why I prefer the lighter, more entertaining FOX Broadcast with Bradshaw and Johnson. They seem to be having a better time.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:50 AM

929 posts, read 297,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I like the 2 home teams in the AFC Div round... big limb, huh?
I was going to say as such... I don't know how or why these playoff threads have turned into some kind of pick em contest, but of course everybody is going to pick Pittsburgh and New England. (Yawn). If people are more concerned about picks, make it interesting at least and pick vs the spreads! On that note, I will give up the 13-1/2 and take the Patriots. The Steelers-Jags requires further thought.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,133,277 times
AFC Divisional Round:

Tennessee Titans @ New England Patriots Brady Bunch foils the magnificent Mariotas
Jax Jags @ Pittsburgh Steelers Killer Bees will not allow Blake Bortles to step up!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:25 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,472,482 times
We are likely looking at Steelers @ Patriots and Patriots in the Super Bowl again. Blech.

All I can say is the Falcons better not be the NFC team.

If we are looking at a sixth Super Bowl ring for Brady I’m gonna throw up.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:56 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Had I picked I would've been 2-2. Would have taken the Chiefs & Falcons on Saturday (1-1) and the Jags & Panthers on Sunday (also 1-1).

How the hell the Chiefs lost that game I STILL have no idea, and was that Jags/Bills game Sunday one of the most boring playoff games of all time?? I had basketball practice during that time so I couldn't watch any of it, but just looking at the final on my phone made me tired.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:33 AM

6,779 posts, read 10,184,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Had I picked I would've been 2-2. Would have taken the Chiefs & Falcons on Saturday (1-1) and the Jags & Panthers on Sunday (also 1-1).

How the hell the Chiefs lost that game I STILL have no idea, and was that Jags/Bills game Sunday one of the most boring playoff games of all time?? I had basketball practice during that time so I couldn't watch any of it, but just looking at the final on my phone made me tired.
Easy, Andy Reid forgot he had the best RB in football.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,066,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Easy, Andy Reid forgot he had the best RB in football.
You could have just shortened your answer to "Andy Reid" and still have been correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or