U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 06:26 AM

929 posts, read 297,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I donít see how a win over Tennessee makes that statement. Assuming Pittsburgh is their next game, that wonít be a two touchdown point spread.
I think the inference was all this reported dissension the past two weeks didn't seem to change anything when it comes to the Patriots on the field. They clearly looked like the team to beat in the AFC before yesterday's game and they still will be heading into next Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 07:59 AM

4,891 posts, read 3,983,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I think the inference was all this reported dissension the past two weeks didn't seem to change anything when it comes to the Patriots on the field. They clearly looked like the team to beat in the AFC before yesterday's game and they still will be heading into next Sunday.
It (the supposed dissension) was not any factor, and who knows it may not have even been real. Maybe a slow week at the Boston Enquirer or something

Either way, the game next week will be more challenging, but I wonder if either the spotted cats or the Steelers have the goods and the gameplan to beat the Patriots ? Sure, they can be beat for one half, but they have so many game plans and the guy coaching from the sideline seems to know what will work at any given time........

BUT I did pick up on this on item. Brady is not as fast in the pocket as he used to be. The weak link on the offensive line is the inside on the rush. Brady will go down, and sacking him is not even necessary. Just get in front of him basketball style and scare him. Put your hands straight up and he will toss the ball off wherever. In order to do this, a defense must rotate players and mix up who will rush inside. Hard yes, but football is not an easy game (At least it was not last time I tried to play it)

Gronk must be contained. Plain and simple. It take only ONE 10 yard catch by the big guy to get a first down. He must be contained.

SO there it is.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:52 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,969,047 times
As a Patriots fan I would much rather see the Jaguars play the Patriots providing they beat the Steelers.

As far as matchups the Steelers/Patriots would be the game to watch as I believe both teams are pretty evenly split with wins and losses over the years playing each other and there have been some close games and history between the two.

That being said though I can't rule out the Jaguars defense carrying them to the big game. The Jaguars offense doesn't show up consistently enough to predict a win but their defense is something teams really have to take notice of.

I keep thinking and mentioning the Denver/Carolina Super Bowl. Denvers defense clearly won that game for Peyton.......overwhelmingly. The Jaguars could follow that same path.

Football is sometimes like a crapshoot.......Atlanta just could not get that ball in the end zone last night with the clock on their side and the downs to try. Last year the Patriots could not stay out of the end zone after the first half and made the two points after look like child's play.

https://deadspin.com/the-broncos-ter...owl-1757712548

Old 01-14-2018, 09:13 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,190,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

BUT I did pick up on this on item. Brady is not as fast in the pocket as he used to be. The weak link on the offensive line is the inside on the rush. Brady will go down, and sacking him is not even necessary. Just get in front of him basketball style and scare him. Put your hands straight up and he will toss the ball off wherever. In order to do this, a defense must rotate players and mix up who will rush inside. Hard yes, but football is not an easy game (At least it was not last time I tried to play it)
Scare Brady? The guy has seen everything a defense can toss at a QB many many times. His strength is that he doesn't get flustered. Only way to beat the Pats at this point is out score them. Brady ain't cracking.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:50 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
I want to see Jags vs. Patriots.

1. Whether it is Jags or Steelers I don't think there is an advantage of one over the other in dethroning the Pats.

2. I want to see something new.

3. Just maybe that Jaguars defense can get to Brady.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Scare Brady? The guy has seen everything a defense can toss at a QB many many times. His strength is that he doesn't get flustered. Only way to beat the Pats at this point is out score them. Brady ain't cracking.
When is the last time the Pats lost a high scoring game? The Seattle game in New England a couple years ago? They don't lose many games when they score 20+. I'd say the way to beat them is to hold them under 17, preferably 14.To do that you are going to need a good defense. That's Jacksonville. Not Pittsburgh.

Edit, I realize they lost some high scoring games earlier in the year but that was when their defense was a mess so I wouldn't consider those games. Their defense has completely flipped the script since week 5 or so.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:15 AM

578 posts, read 764,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
When is the last time the Pats lost a high scoring game? The Seattle game in New England a couple years ago? They don't lose many games when they score 20+.
Kansas City beat New England 42-27 at New England(week 1). Considering all the criticism Andy Reid gets, he seems to always have a good blueprint on how to beat New England.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Kansas City beat New England 42-27 at New England(week 1). Considering all the criticism Andy Reid gets, he seems to always have a good blueprint on how to beat New England.
As I said in my post, that was a completely different defense.

Weeks 1-4 Patriots gave up 30+ in 3 out of 4 games. Gave up 20+ in all four games.

Since then in 13 consecutive games the Patriots have given up 30+ in zero games. They've given up 20+ in only two games. Both road games.

Their only two super bowl losses were both low scoring games.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM

10,705 posts, read 11,116,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Except in the playoffs!

Old 01-14-2018, 11:31 AM

578 posts, read 764,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Except in the playoffs!
Um, last time they met in the playoffs, NE only won 20-27 at NE, and KC was very much in it until the end. That is a lot better showing than some other teams have had against NE in the playoffs(like the Titans yesterday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or