U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 04:08 PM

2,275 posts, read 3,180,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
what exactly did yesterday have to do with losing to new england a month ago?
I think he's inferring the Steelers were so caught up on getting "revenge" on the Patriots the following week that they weren't prepared for the game at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 05:12 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,515,739 times
I doubt that, just like I doubt the Pats were looking ahead to the AFCCG when they lost to the Jets that one year. They just got outplayed and/or outcoached.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,890,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
what exactly did yesterday have to do with losing to new england a month ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I think he's inferring the Steelers were so caught up on getting "revenge" on the Patriots the following week that they weren't prepared for the game at hand.
This. Tomlin felt this was going to be the year Pittsburgh gets past New England and he takes his highly talented team to a title (best WR in football. Top 5 RB in football. Top 10 QB in football) and that didn't happen. First New England came into Pittsburgh and won in week 15, ruining their chance at home field. Then in the divisional round multiple Pittsburgh players made reference to getting past Jacksonville.

David DeCastro on team’s pregame obsession with Patriots: It’s embarrassing and stupid – ProFootballTalk

Old 01-15-2018, 11:40 PM

6,553 posts, read 4,509,772 times
I know this is the AFC thread but I'm going to bring up a couple points in the Vikings/Saints game because it relates to what I'm about to post.

Is it a requirement to become an NFL head coach that you have to lose ALL common sense?? That's about the only thing I can think of when I see how incredibly stupid, dopey, and idiotic calls these guys that are paid "millions of dollars" can make that a 10 year old that's been playing Madden for 8 years knows how stupid it is. Maybe it's because I'm a coach now (not in football but in another sport) so I see things differently, but man were these dumb. I didn't see 1 minute of the Falcons/Eagles game (was traveling in between games), so can't comment on that, but in the other 3 games this weekend there was at least one instance in all 3 games that I basically screamed "What the %$%k are you doing."

Let's start with the now ex-coach of the Tennessee Titans Mike Mularkey and how he completely bumbled and botched his teams final possession of the first half Saturday evening in Foxboro. Pats are kicking off after just scoring a touchdown to make it a 21-7 game. I believe Tennessee has 2 timeouts remaining, New England has all 3, and there's about 1:40'ish left in the half after the touchback. With NE having all 3 timeouts, you will have to get at least 1 first down and probably more than likely 2 if you don't want New England and Brady to get the ball back. The first play is the Decker catch that got a first down, and that's when it went haywire. 2nd play was the Lewis injury and subsequent false start and 10 second run off. Now unlike Romo in the booth saying "I don't know why Tennessee didn't use a timeout there to avoid the runoff" I knew....or at least thought I knew why they didn't use the timeout....let the time run out in the half, already down 14, don't do anything more stupid to avoid going down even MORE points. Unlike another game later this weekend in this same spot where I thought points were crucial to get, in this case just not giving UP points should've been Tennessee's goal. But then on the VERY.NEXT. PLAY they throw that short screen or slant route that gets tackled in bounds but wait....Tennessee calls a timeout?? What?? What's the point of calling one there, when you didn't call one to avoid the runoff the previous play?? Either you're going for points in which case you would want to save whatever precious seconds you had left, or you want the half to end. Doesn't make sense. Anyways, Mularkey gets a gift from God and gets bailed out with the defensive holding call and automatic first down. Now Tennessee is at about 50 seconds remaining and despite playing almost a full minute have gained only 20 yards, and Bellicheck is laughing hysterically on the opposite sideline with still his 3 timeouts as Mularkey repeatedly shoots himself in the foot. With 55 yards to go for the touchdown and probably about 20 for a realistic chance at the field goal any sensible coach would say to Mariota "I'm giving you one chance to move the ball down the field, if you don't get a completion on 1st down, I'm going to run it second & 3rd to either: A) run the clock out or B) Make the Patriots use their timeouts, just like what the Falcons should have done in the Super Bowl and also failed to do. But no, what does dopey Mularkey do?? Incompletion on first, and ANOTHER incompletion on 2nd down. This bozo is going to give the ball back to New England with all 3 timeouts while single-handily ending his coaching tenure in Nashville. The 3rd down play I don't fault Mariota for going out of bounds because he was trying to get the extra yard for the first down, but in hindsight I would've just slid down in bounds kept the clock running. And the 4th down play call was just the icing on the cake for Mularkey. A complete miracle the Patriots didn't actually score any more points in those final 20 seconds. As I said to a friend at halftime "I would've fired Mularkey just for how badly he botched the end of half situation."

Now let's head to Sunday and 3 plays in the final 2:15:
1) Tomlin's onsides kick after scoring the touchdown to make it a 7 point game. I wouldn't have done it, I would have kicked deep to put pressure on Bortles & Fournette to take care of the ball, but I have the least problem with this, Pitt had been getting gashed all day. 2nd & 3rd however is another story....
2) Doug Marrone kicking the field goal on 4th & 1 (really 4th and a foot) on Jacksonville's subsequent series. Let's play win probability here for a second. Taking the field goal and making it a 10 point game you still lose anyways on 2 touchdowns, and if you happen to miss the kick then Pittsburgh gets the ball back close to midfield only down 7. If you go for it and you make it, your win probability is 100%; there is not enough time for Pittsburgh to get the ball back, since they are out of timeouts and this was after 2 minute warning. If you don't get it, assuming you didn't take a page from Mularkey's 4th down playbook, Pittsburgh is going to have to go more than 70 yards in less than 2 minutes with 0 timeouts needing a touchdown to tie. That's why I don't think punting would've been that bad either. If it's a touchback you only gain 10 yards, but that's 10 yards further back than you originally were, and about a +15 in yard differential had the field goal been no good, and if you can coffin corner it inside the 10, even better, even further Pittsburgh has to travel, and likely more time off the clock. It worked out for Marrone in the end, but that wasn't very smart.
3) Tomlin not taking the field goal after Bryant's catch. Anyone that plays Madden knows this scenario: Take the points! You need 2 scores, and you need an onside kick recovery anyways, I'd want as much time left as possible in case I do get that onsides kick recovery. Plus, I think getting the field goal first is actually better then getting the touchdown first, if you kick the field goal right there than you know you need a touchdown. For example: Let's say they score a TD the play after Bryant's catch and recover an onside kick. They have a 3rd & 8 with 16 seconds left down 3 at the Jacksonville 29 yard line. The 3rd down play gets 7 yards down to the 22, but the player gets tackled in bounds, but with 0 timeouts left you can't get the field goal unit on the field in time so you have to go for it anyways. That's why I think getting the field goal first is better, you can actually use the middle of the field because you don't have to waste a down to clock the ball to get the special teams unit onto the field. Sure, you would like to use the sidelines, but it's not really necessary inside of 20 seconds or so.
Let's finish up our coaching tidbit with a coach that actually won, but even if he lost wouldn't have gotten blamed for this even though he should have gotten lambasted for it. Saints just miss their 53 yard field goal, so the Vikings with 0 timeouts I think at their disposal get the ball at about midfield. A roughing the passer moves the ball to the Saints part of the field, and than they throw that sideline route that got about 9 yards, so now they are at about the 35 yard line and looking at about a 50 yard field goal, which should be makeable by NFL standards, but with place kickers not named Stephen Gostkowski, Adam Vinateri, Phil dawson, or Justin Tucker nothing is a given. The Saints, were completely lifeless on offense, and with Minnesota getting the ball to begin the second half they would've completely buried the Saints with even a field goal. That's why it was important for Minnesota to get points unlike Tennessee....Minnesota could've buried their opponent while Tennessee should have been playing to avoid getting buried. Instead with 14 seconds, Zimmer calls that long QB drop touchdown pass that falls incomplete instead of another short sideline route for another 5 or 6 yards to get the kicker a tad closer and more room to work. And since that TD pass play was slow developing, they didn't have time to run another play so had to take the field goal attempt which missed. And luckily for him Minnesota got that miraculous play at the end because if Zimmer signs off on another 10 yard out play instead of the slow developing TD pass, and the field goal is from 39 yards instead of 49 yards, it's probably good, and the Saints have to score a touchdown on their final possession, instead of the field goal. And a special shoutout to Sean Payton for his terrible use of challenges. The first one was ok, but the one on the sack was completely awful.

And one last thing: When will coaches finally realize the only thing Prevent defense does is prevent you from winning the game?? People who get paid $0 to watch football can see these defenses don't work, these guys are getting paid a freaking million + dollars, I have to think they aren't totally stupid, are they?? And how the Saints didn't have at least 2 defenders standing in the end zone on that final play I have no idea

Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,139,302 times
NFL CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND

AFC: Jax Jags @ New England Patriots It was an excellent run for Blake Bortles & the Teal Curtain!
However, they now meet the #1 seed Pats and their never-to-be-forgotten QB that 40-year-old guy ol whats-his-name.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM

22,911 posts, read 19,356,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Another Patriots AFC Championship appearance, as hoped for and somewhat expected.

A surprising appearance for the Jacksonville Jaguars, despite their #3 seeding. Bortles has been inconsistent, but they do say defense wins championships.

The Jags gave up 42 and still found a way to win, in Pittsburgh no less. But I honestly can't see a repeat performance like that in New England.

For Jacksonville to win, their defense like today will have to score points against the Pats. Obviously entirely possible. But yesterday Brady looked like he did at the beginning of the season and not like he did down the stretch. If he does that again next weekend I don't think the Jags stand a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Great game today between Jags and Steelers Yesterday not so much. Want to really see the Jags give the Pats a run for their money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
And they will. I'm not confident enough to pick em, but I do not anticipate this Jaguars team getting run out of the stadium...
All depends on which Patriots team shows up for this upcoming game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
NFL CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND

AFC: Jax Jags @ New England Patriots It was an excellent run for Blake Bortles & the Teal Curtain!
However, they now meet the #1 seed Pats and their never-to-be-forgotten QB that 40-year-old guy ol whats-his-name.
ROFLMAO

Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,866,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
And one last thing: When will coaches finally realize the only thing Prevent defense does is prevent you from winning the game?? People who get paid $0 to watch football can see these defenses don't work, these guys are getting paid a freaking million + dollars, I have to think they aren't totally stupid, are they?? And how the Saints didn't have at least 2 defenders standing in the end zone on that final play I have no idea
You contradicted yourself here with that last sentence. Prevent can work in the right situation provided you play the prevent defense correctly. It's a lot tougher to play prevent when you have to guard against a game winning FG vs a game winning TD. I think the Saints were trying to guard against any possible FG attempt rather than TD. If they had a 4 point lead they surely would of had at least one defender in the end zone if not two.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM

I think we are getting the best AFC Championship match up we could of asked for. The kryptonite for Brady and the Patriots has always been a strong defense. Pass rush in particular. Despite their powerful offenses, neither KC or Pittsburgh have anywhere close to great defenses.

Jaguars just need to find some middle ground between their performance against the Bills and this last performance against Pittsburgh.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:33 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,776,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I think we are getting the best AFC Championship match up we could of asked for. The kryptonite for Brady and the Patriots has always been a strong defense. Pass rush in particular. Despite their powerful offenses, neither KC or Pittsburgh have anywhere close to great defenses.

Jaguars just need to find some middle ground between their performance against the Bills and this last performance against Pittsburgh.

I'm not sold on the Jaguars yet....they lost to the Titans twice and the 49ers spanked them in week 15 scoring 44 points. They lost their last 2 games of the season.

Steelers defense was suspect all year.....Ravens scored 38 points and the Packers with a backup QB scored 28 points and almost beat them.

Patriots will shut down the Jaguars running game and make their inconsistent QB beat them with his arm on the road again with that crowd.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM

All true points but they are the only team in the AFC with a real defense. If the defense shows up they have a chance. KC and Pittsburgh realistically never had a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or