U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:30 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,938 times
Reputation: 799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've seen some unreal finishes in my day with 2 playoff bound teams-The Patriots/Steelers finish tops anything I've seen-ever!
Insane, and what a huge turn of events, as the Patriots would have currently fallen to the 3rd seed and the road to the Super Bowl would be going potentially thru Pittsburgh. The Patriots defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Felt most of the game it was Pittsburgh's game for the taking. Now let that seemingly endless age old debate begin again... what is a catch and what isn't. That will be all the talk this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:33 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,938 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was surprised they didn't go for the FG in that situation with the clock running out. Big Ben tried to do a Dan Marino and ended up getting the pass intercepted in the endzone.
Of course you are going for the win; not perhaps the throw to make, but you've got time for another play so long as you throw it in the end zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,705 posts, read 11,113,418 times
Reputation: 14105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Insane, and what a huge turn of events, as the Patriots would have currently fallen to the 3rd seed and the road to the Super Bowl would be going potentially thru Pittsburgh. The Patriots defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Felt most of the game it was Pittsburgh's game for the taking. Now let that seemingly endless age old debate begin again... what is a catch and what isn't. That will be all the talk this week.
You’re right about that debate. And bigger than that debate is the question of why the league’s popularity is in steady decline. I suspect their own officials not knowing what is a catch and what isn’t may have something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
3,333 posts, read 2,311,060 times
Reputation: 4762
It's like the Football Gods really DO favor the Patriots!! First Falcons inexplicably blowing a 28-3 SB lead, now THIS. What's next, Pats down in the playoffs 30-20 with 3 seconds left, Brady hits Gronkowski for a cosmetic TD, but wait! An obscure NFL rule that states: if the barometic pressure in Humpty Doo, Australia is EXACTLY 30.00 millibars , AND the QB wears jersey # 12, ALL touchdowns are worth 11 points!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:37 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,887,075 times
Reputation: 2782
If you're Pittsburgh, why the hell are you even attempting a foolish play like a fake spike? They slowly got up to the line of scrimmage and tried that foolish play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:40 PM
 
3,808 posts, read 1,392,001 times
Reputation: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Of course you are going for the win; not perhaps the throw to make, but you've got time for another play so long as you throw it in the end zone.
It was too risky since the clock was under 10 seconds which resulted in a Interception. When you try to force into the endzone with not much time you risk getting it picked off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,845,639 times
Reputation: 4511
Pittsburgh's inability to play an A-game for four quarters has caught up to them, I don't feel sorry for them. They controlled most of the game. Better it's happened now--hopefully this is a wakeup call to refocus as The Second Season nears...

This should be one of the most exciting postseasons in years, on both sides. Anybody can win the Lombardi this year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,938 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
It was too risky since the clock was under 10 seconds which resulted in a Interception. When you try to force into the endzone with not much time you risk getting it picked off.
No issue going for the TD. Forced pass and not the right play to make, rather than throwing the ball away? Yes, Rothlisberger erred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:52 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,938 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
It's like the Football Gods really DO favor the Patriots!! First Falcons inexplicably blowing a 28-3 SB lead, now THIS. What's next, Pats down in the playoffs 30-20 with 3 seconds left, Brady hits Gronkowski for a cosmetic TD, but wait! An obscure NFL rule that states: if the barometic pressure in Humpty Doo, Australia is EXACTLY 30.00 millibars , AND the QB wears jersey # 12, ALL touchdowns are worth 11 points!!
Most of all, I still put the Patriots win at San Diego in the 06 playoffs as the epitome of pulling one out of your you-know-what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 05:56 PM
 
929 posts, read 297,938 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Pittsburgh's inability to play an A-game for four quarters has caught up to them, I don't feel sorry for them. They controlled most of the game. Better it's happened now--hopefully this is a wakeup call to refocus as The Second Season nears...

This should be one of the most exciting postseasons in years, on both sides. Anybody can win the Lombardi this year...
Kind of funny. Pittsburgh has won several games maybe they didn't deserve to win. Today they really should have won, with or without the overturn of the TD at the end. Gronkowski made all the difference in the world. If he had been suspended more than a game, the Patriots would have lost today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top