U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2017, 05:35 AM
 
929 posts, read 297,282 times
Reputation: 799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The link in my post above has the angle that clearly shows the entire ball on the ground and James left hand OFF the ball. Clear as day. Ball crossing the line has nothing to do with the rule James was a receiver not a runner play isn't over when the ball crosses or touches the line until the pass is completed as the player goes to the ground. James didn't complete the catch per the NFL rule video clearly shows this
So by that definition of the rule, Cooks' catch at the end of the Houston game should have been overturned as well, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2017, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,873,358 times
Reputation: 2342
At the end of the day he had possession when he broke the plane (he caught the ball, pulled it into his body, turned his body, and stuck the ball out), isn't that supposed to be a touchdown... If this can be overturned then a rushing TD where the ball get's swatted out as the rusher reaches over the goal line should be a fumble.

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 12-19-2017 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 10:37 AM
 
4,986 posts, read 11,062,083 times
Reputation: 11849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
So by that definition of the rule, Cooks' catch at the end of the Houston game should have been overturned as well, correct?
Only if you have an angle that shows the ball was OUT when Cooks hit the ground...the video linked does not show that...

As for you continually stating there is no view that shows the James ball "out"


https://i.redd.it/nef8nmstxp401.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM
 
4,986 posts, read 11,062,083 times
Reputation: 11849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
At the end of the day he had possession when he broke the plane (he caught the ball, pulled it into his body, turned his body, and stuck the ball out), isn't that supposed to be a touchdown... If this can be overturned then a rushing TD where the ball get's swatted out as the rusher reaches over the goal line should be a fumble.
Again, only true as a RUNNER....James DOVE for the ball, he was GOING TO GROUND he has to hold onto the ball

A RECEIVER has to complete the catch going to the ground, ie NOT lose possession EVEN in the end zone or while crossing the plane. A RUNNER can lose possession of the ball immediately as the nose of the ball touches the goal line plane and it will be a TD. NOT so for a receiver

Look I think its stupid too, but the rule was applied correctly and I don't even understand the outrage anymore....its not like this is the first time this call has been made...if anything its one of the more consistent calls the league makes on replay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
Reputation: 2353
Can we get this thread back on track and not debate a catch/noncatch from one play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Reputation: 4507
Everyone's record versus current playoff teams, including teams still in the hunt:

Pittsburgh 6-2 (.750)
New England 7-3 (.700)
Jacksonville 4-2 (.667)
Kansas City 5-4 (.571)
Buffalo 4-4 (.500)
Tennessee 3-3 (.500)
Miami 4-6 (.400)
Baltimore 3-5 (.375)
Los Angeles 3-6 (.333)
Oakland 3-6 (.333)

The AFC isn't as wide open. It's going to come down to Pittsburgh, New England, and surprisingly, Jacksonville. The Jags are legit, and as long as Bottles continues to play well, they have the players to beat both the Steelers and Patriots. Not saying they will, just admitting they are a threat and it's time to consider than they have just as much of a shot to win the AFC as anyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 01:47 PM
 
4,986 posts, read 11,062,083 times
Reputation: 11849
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Everyone's record versus current playoff teams, including teams still in the hunt:

Pittsburgh 6-2 (.750)
New England 7-3 (.700)
Jacksonville 4-2 (.667)
Kansas City 5-4 (.571)
Buffalo 4-4 (.500)
Tennessee 3-3 (.500)
Miami 4-6 (.400)
Baltimore 3-5 (.375)
Los Angeles 3-6 (.333)
Oakland 3-6 (.333)

The AFC isn't as wide open. It's going to come down to Pittsburgh, New England, and surprisingly, Jacksonville. The Jags are legit, and as long as Bottles continues to play well, they have the players to beat both the Steelers and Patriots. Not saying they will, just admitting they are a threat and it's time to consider than they have just as much of a shot to win the AFC as anyone...
Agree completely, Jags are on a roll and the last 3 games by Bortles have been impressive. Jags may have to go on the road but defense travels and that defense is for real..

If the current seeding holds that miracle win by the Pats will likely also save them from having to see Jax before AFC Championship....wouldn't want to see them in the Divisional Round
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Future Expat of California
602 posts, read 327,826 times
Reputation: 538
If the Ravens get into the playoffs I can see them playing the Pats in the AFC Championship. They played the Steelers well a week or so and lost on the last drive I believe. They have a good running game and will be able to move the ball. Flacco will need to play well in order for them to advance.

The Jags haven't been in the playoffs for a long while. I see this year as a building block especially if they are able to win at least one game this postseason. I see them as the 2nd best competition to the Pats (I like the Ravens 1st) as the Steelers don't play up to their full potential for some reason.

I would like to see the Bills in the postseason, but they would have win in Foxboro this upcoming weekend. If they play it like a playoff game, then they have a chance to advance to the playoffs. I expect the Titans to collapse for the final 2 games and miss the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 08:47 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
Reputation: 2353
Bills don't have to win this weekend to make the playoffs but they should if they want to be taken seriously. With the exception of 2011 and 2013 the Bills typically play closer and more competitive games against @ New England versus playing the Patriots in Buffalo. A couple of those @ NE games either didn't future Brady at all or only for one half though too. But still, even in 2015 when Brady was serving his suspension the Patriots were rolling teams easily but the Bills shut the Patriots out 16-0 in New England.

Surprisingly the Bills have mostly gotten off to quick starts against the Patriots with Tyrod Taylor at QB.

2015 vs. NE 80 play TD drive
2015 @ NE 3 and out Punt
2016 @ NE 65 yard TD drive
2016 vs. NE 70 yard FG drive
2017 vs. NE 66 yard yard drive to the 6 yard line INT thrown at goaline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 05:26 PM
 
4,986 posts, read 11,062,083 times
Reputation: 11849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Bills don't have to win this weekend to make the playoffs but they should if they want to be taken seriously. With the exception of 2011 and 2013 the Bills typically play closer and more competitive games against @ New England versus playing the Patriots in Buffalo. A couple of those @ NE games either didn't future Brady at all or only for one half though too. But still, even in 2015 when Brady was serving his suspension the Patriots were rolling teams easily but the Bills shut the Patriots out 16-0 in New England.

Surprisingly the Bills have mostly gotten off to quick starts against the Patriots with Tyrod Taylor at QB.

2015 vs. NE 80 play TD drive
2015 @ NE 3 and out Punt
2016 @ NE 65 yard TD drive
2016 vs. NE 70 yard FG drive
2017 vs. NE 66 yard yard drive to the 6 yard line INT thrown at goaline
The suspension was last season 2016 and by that 4th game against Buffalo, our third string rookie QB was starting with a right thumb that needed surgery....he could barely hold the ball and had surgery the following week......

I expect a close game this week like you said, last 4 years the Pats are 3-1 against Buffalo at home but 2 of the Pats wins have been 1 score victories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top