U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2017, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,934,133 times
Reputation: 30347

Advertisements

Didn't see that part...only what BB said to female reporter...




[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
The way it looked to me (and I'm not a BB defender), he went out of his way to seek out the coach, apologized for it, and said it was BS, you didn't have to be a good lip reader to get that part!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2017, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
Reputation: 12484
Concerning news about the Steelers player today, he is still in the hospital, swelling needs to go down to be evaluated, worrisome. I certainly hope he is o.k.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Here
1,694 posts, read 1,496,543 times
Reputation: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I watch pro football but do not know all the plays, rules etc.

Tell me why Juju whatever-his-name is was not ejected from the game last night between Bengals and Steelers...? That was of the worst hits and taunting I've ever seen...very disheartening.

There were other hits that too were disgusting. Seems to help end these, they would be ejected immediately the first time...are the refs too scared of coachs and owners??

ps Glad Ryan of Steelers only had a spine contusion...could have been much worse...but the hit that injured him was not intentional like others.
Since you asked a question that is not based in fan support of a team or a player, I'm going to throw this thought in... I think pro football may die in the next few decades. It will die for the reasons seen in the Bengal/Steelers game, and it will die based on the observations the commentators made during the game. It will begin with more and more cases of CTE being diagnosed in ex-football players. The medical community will recommend that athletes avoid football and instead play sports like tennis and basketball. It will be reminiscent of the medical community imploring the public to stop smoking 50 years ago. Eventually there will a small trickle of colleges and high schools that terminate their football programs. That will snowball into all of the colleges and high schools suspending their football programs permanently. Youth football will disappear. It will disappear at about the same time that the school programs vanish.

None if this will happen tomorrow. In perhaps five to ten years it will be clear that football's head trauma causes CTE in most of those who play 50 games or more at the non-kicking positions. That is 50 games played anytime, beginning in childhood. When that domino falls, the end of football, football as we know it, will be in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,934,133 times
Reputation: 30347
Thanks for your response...I like it.


That seems definitely possible. I would not have any issue with that...having watched my brother come home after fb with concussions, and then my closest work friend, a MD, killed himself, having played fb for years...autopsy CTE. And I worked in ICU for brain trauma for yrs., seeing concussions regularly.



[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Since you asked a question that is not based in fan support of a team or a player, I'm going to throw this thought in... I think pro football may die in the next few decades. It will die for the reasons seen in the Bengal/Steelers game, and it will die based on the observations the commentators made during the game. It will begin with more and more cases of CTE being diagnosed in ex-football players. The medical community will recommend that athletes avoid football and instead play sports like tennis and basketball. It will be reminiscent of the medical community imploring the public to stop smoking 50 years ago. Eventually there will a small trickle of colleges and high schools that terminate their football programs. That will snowball into all of the colleges and high schools suspending their football programs permanently. Youth football will disappear. It will disappear at about the same time that the school programs vanish.

None if this will happen tomorrow. In perhaps five to ten years it will be clear that football's head trauma causes CTE in most of those who play 50 games or more at the non-kicking positions. That is 50 games played anytime, beginning in childhood. When that domino falls, the end of football, football as we know it, will be in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,653 posts, read 33,472,314 times
Reputation: 32369
I think JuJus suspension was a fair punishment. I think the Bengals S Iloka should not be suspended for his hit because his was not intentional to hurt someone, it was a poor football play at worst. Even though he is a repeat offender, his hit had nothing to do with the beef going on through that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,862,633 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think JuJus suspension was a fair punishment. I think the Bengals S Iloka should not be suspended for his hit because his was not intentional to hurt someone, it was a poor football play at worst. Even though he is a repeat offender, his hit had nothing to do with the beef going on through that game.
There is something really wrong with the way these suspensions are handled when the Bengals safety receives the same length suspension as Gronk.

We have concussions and CTE shortening the careers of players in today's game. Tre'Davious White now has a concussion on his record that he shouldn't even have. It was 100% avoidable and 100% intentional by the assaulting player. I have a big problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,934,133 times
Reputation: 30347
IF Juju's acts are not ejection worthy, then what is...?


[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think JuJus suspension was a fair punishment. I think the Bengals S Iloka should not be suspended for his hit because his was not intentional to hurt someone, it was a poor football play at worst. Even though he is a repeat offender, his hit had nothing to do with the beef going on through that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 AM
 
32,501 posts, read 26,389,888 times
Reputation: 19153
i know in the college game, if the official feels that a player was targeting an opposing player, they will check the replay, and eject a player for targeting, and if it happens in the second half, the player is out for the first half of the next game as well.

perhaps the same thing needs to happen in the NFL as well, take a zero tolerance stand on hits at a certain point. especially excessively late hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,934,133 times
Reputation: 30347
Doesn't seem being banned for one game is much punishment...I still feel ejection should be instituted after the first incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 05:08 PM
 
4,986 posts, read 11,066,062 times
Reputation: 11855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
There is something really wrong with the way these suspensions are handled when the Bengals safety receives the same length suspension as Gronk.

We have concussions and CTE shortening the careers of players in today's game. Tre'Davious White now has a concussion on his record that he shouldn't even have. It was 100% avoidable and 100% intentional by the assaulting player. I have a big problem with that.
The Bengals player's suspension was overturned as it should have been.

Not a fan of Vontaze Burfict but he is also in concussion protocol. The hit JuJu put on him was also 100% avoidable and 100% intentional and spare me the "in the context of the game"....it was an illegal hit delivered to try and "knock a guy out"...but you don't have a big problem with that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top