U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:43 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,909,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the raiders are going to need a new stadium IN LAS VEGAS, not in oakland.

as for some of the other stadiums, its more than just some needing renovating over replacement, and its more than just more revenue. sometimes these stadiums are old and at the end of their lives, and need structural renovation which often times is more expansive than just building a new stadium.

and since that is usually the case, you may as well add some amenities to the new stadium while it is being built when it doesnt cost any extra to do so. and it is for the fans as well as the owners. make the fans happy, and they do spend money at the game.

and remember these venues are not just used for a few games a year, concerts, off road events, monster truck events, political events, and other events go on the calendar as well.

and how many of these newer stadiums are open to the public when the teams are not there? the AT&T stadium in texas has restaurants and shops along the outer circle, do you really think they are closed when the stadium is shut down? it wouldnt make sense to only open up the restaurants for eight games per year. i suspect that is how jerry jones is paying for the stadium in addition to what he gets from advertising contracts.
One question. Do you think the Saints need a new stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I think they are a complete waste of money, mostly taxpayer money too in most cases.

The NFL does not generate the majority of it's revenue through ticket sales to games. So why do they need the best state of the art stadium?
In most cases, they don't.

However, it's what owners do in order to generate more money into their already overloaded pockets. It's easier to attempt to push these super stadiums in America because of our love of football.

Americans usually want everything bigger, better & shinier, as evidenced by our bigger housing, cars, trucks and all other possessions and toys! It's, unfortunately, who we are and what we do -- most of the time.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:57 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
One reason why Bob Kraft is one of the 2 or 3 best/smartest owners in the NFL is how he handled his stadium. He built it with his own money. The state kicked in some money to make road upgrades to route one (that were already needed regardless of a new stadium). He owns all of the parking lots around the stadium. He also built a large retail complex adjacent to the stadium so he gets to keep all of that revenue.

It is annoying when you travel somewhere and look at your rental car bill, or hotel receipt and see a stadium tax on it - the public should not be on the hook to pay for these stadiums.

It's also not quite fair that the NFL pushes teams to have brand new stadiums yet only a small number of teams actually get to host the Super Bowl and enjoy the economic benefit it brings to a city and metro area.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:05 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,061 times
I think you are guaranteed a super bowl these days no matter where you are if you build a new stadium. Are you guaranteed more than one? Probably not. But I do think you at least get one. I would hope anyway.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:29 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
A city like Indianapolis needs a modern stadium a lot more than a city like San Francisco, or Washington, D.C. would. San Francisco and DC actually are tourist draws and bring in a large number of out of state visitors, Indianapolis on the other hand is not even close to being on their level for reasons for people to visit.
So can understand why Indianapolis would be willing to shell out the money - they need to give people a reason to visit.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:05 PM

32,468 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
One question. Do you think the Saints need a new stadium?
i dont know. does it fit the needs of the saints? how old is the stadium? what condition is the stadium in? can the stadium be expanded to fit the future needs of the saints and the city of new orleans? how is the infrastructure around the stadium?

Old 12-08-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
i dont know. does it fit the needs of the saints? how old is the stadium? what condition is the stadium in? can the stadium be expanded to fit the future needs of the saints and the city of new orleans? how is the infrastructure around the stadium?
The Stadium(The Superdome) was built in the late 1960s

Old 12-09-2017, 12:24 AM

32,468 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
The Stadium(The Superdome) was built in the late 1960s
tahts nice, so what condition is the stadium in? and what about the rest of the questions i asked? one bit of information means nothing overall.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
tahts nice, so what condition is the stadium in? and what about the rest of the questions i asked? one bit of information means nothing overall.
I haven't been in the dome much although its not bad

Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Quote:

Are These New NFL Stadiums That Are Were/Built Actaullh Worth Having?
I had a chance to tour ATT Stadium (Jerry's Stadium) a couple of months ago and it was very nice - I hear Mercedes in ATL is even nicer.

I sure hope my city (Tampa/STP) doesn't go bankrupt building one of those monstrosities. They're nice, they get key games (like Super Bowls, College Bowl Championships), but they take taxpayer money to build.

I doubt if our voters would allow it. The baseball team is looking for a stadium as well and it'll be interesting if the taxpayers vote for that as well and may just let the team haul ass to another city that will pay for it.

Dallas stadium - the day after the World Cup Soccer qualifying

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or