Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:40 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,770,311 times

Advertisements

Limiting the games to 2 hours and getting politics out of the sport are really good ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 03:00 PM

17,379 posts, read 14,906,688 times
This is somehow like the Anti-XFL..

It's almost like he's saying "Everything we did before was wrong, we're doing the exact opposite this time".. Which.. There's some logic to.

I think the "No Criminals" thing will slide by the wayside during the first year. People like Manzeil and the like will want to play and the league will want that exposure.

What I haven't seen mentioned is when the games will be played.. I assume we're talking a spring league, because head to head would be dumb.

If he does a spring league.. At least at the start treats it as a 'feeder' league for the NFL.. I do think this could work.

The announcement, from what I can see, was a hell of a lot better than the original one in 2000. Again, kinda like the anti-XFL. The 2000 announcement was pure Vince. This one.. Sounded like a business plan.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Wonder how long before Bob Costas has something snotty to say, though..

Old 01-25-2018, 03:47 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,619,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The greatest thing that came from the XFL:

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/6w...he-hate-me.jpg
Easily.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:29 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,966 times
Vince seems to be a lot more serious about his football product this time around. Having games be 2 hours is huge. Having the ability to watch any game on TV, or stream on the go is huge. Getting politics out of the game is huge. I will certainly watch this, more football is better football. From February through training camp is a big void, this will help fill it. Put 2 of the teams in St. Louis and San Diego to scoop up jilted fans.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Vince seems to be a lot more serious about his football product this time around. Having games be 2 hours is huge. Having the ability to watch any game on TV, or stream on the go is huge. Getting politics out of the game is huge. I will certainly watch this, more football is better football. From February through training camp is a big void, this will help fill it. Put 2 of the teams in St. Louis and San Diego to scoop up jilted fans.
He's got the entire WWE Network pretty much at his disposal as well for the streaming. I mean, there's the infrastructure for it. He may have to pay money back to WWE, but.. Simpler than if he were a COMPLETE startup.

The only thing that concerns me is that he says they won't be a feeder for the NFL.. Look.. Accept it and embrace it, Vince. Only thing he can do there. You're not going to compete, so coexist.

The guys who will be playing for him.. They don't have career aspirations of making it to the XFL. If he tries to PREVENT people from going to the NFL.. He'll have problems getting people.

Ah.. Here's the summation of my thoughts.. Some of you will get the reference.. In 2000, it was Mr McMahon trying to start a football league. This time, it seems Vince McMahon is trying.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,842,280 times
It still comes down to the players, who are the product. The rest is simply fluff that doesn't stand on its own. The nfl is over-saturated now; look at the QBs and players in general. Quality players will hard to come by, just like before. The xfl will be required to take the rejects and players with a lot less ability. No criminal record won't last long with that group.

'No politics' is already a joke as the first thing he does is inject politics. 'All will stand for the anthem'. How about not play it at all?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,089,050 times
Could work if they get a TV contract- as a minor league, not to compete with the NFL. Also, it may attract college players that need to leave early due to financial hardship, and/or poor grades.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,396,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's got the entire WWE Network pretty much at his disposal as well for the streaming. I mean, there's the infrastructure for it. He may have to pay money back to WWE, but.. Simpler than if he were a COMPLETE startup.

The only thing that concerns me is that he says they won't be a feeder for the NFL.. Look.. Accept it and embrace it, Vince. Only thing he can do there. You're not going to compete, so coexist.

The guys who will be playing for him.. They don't have career aspirations of making it to the XFL. If he tries to PREVENT people from going to the NFL.. He'll have problems getting people.

Ah.. Here's the summation of my thoughts.. Some of you will get the reference.. In 2000, it was Mr McMahon trying to start a football league. This time, it seems Vince McMahon is trying.
I get it! Yes, I think Vince McMahon is dead serious this time with making a true, football league and I think it has every chance of succeeding. I think he wanted a "Sports Entertainment" league back in the early 2000's, and this time, it's all about the actual sport. Fans of the NFL are getting tired of the political crap that's leaking into the league, and they just want to watch football. And for some of us, we're big football fans, and minor fans of other sports. I often can't get involved with other sports until NFL football is over with. Once that's done, I jump into college basketball just in time for the last month of the season and then the tournaments, and that's it. By summer time, there's no sport I really keep up with, so it's all about waiting for football to come back.

I don't know what time of the year he plans to have this league, but I would hope it would be during the summer. As a football fan, there's nothing for me to watch during the summer that I care to see, so being able to watch football would be nice. He may should consider locations that don't get extremely hot during the summer. I can't imagine having to suit up in 100 degree heat and play a two hour football game.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
It still comes down to the players, who are the product. The rest is simply fluff that doesn't stand on its own. The nfl is over-saturated now; look at the QBs and players in general. Quality players will hard to come by, just like before. The xfl will be required to take the rejects and players with a lot less ability. No criminal record won't last long with that group.

'No politics' is already a joke as the first thing he does is inject politics. 'All will stand for the anthem'. How about not play it at all?

Let me throw out some Clemson players.. Just as examples, and they're the college team I'm most familiar with.

Tajh Boyd and Ben Boulware.

Boyd was never really good enough for the NFL.. But.. A good QB. Exciting to watch. Boulware bounced between the Panthers and 49ers practice squads.. I'm actually rather surprised he didn't stick on a practice squad in the NFL.. But.. Exciting player there, too.

You put the greatest QB in the world against a second rate defense.. Yeah, that's not going to be good.

But, when the quality of both sides is similar.. A second rate QB vs a second rate defense (based on NFL standards).. They can put on an exciting game.

Will people watch it? That's the question right now. The CFL didn't do too well in the US during that experiment.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 PM

6,327 posts, read 3,567,935 times
What McMahon really needs is for an NFL team to cross over into the XFL. That would never happen but it's the only way it would become relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football