U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:58 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,185,491 times

Advertisements

The xfl can have the Browns. Good old fashioned relegation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 12:45 PM

272 posts, read 115,551 times
Not gonna be easy for sure. Already failed on not bringing politics into it. The crop of players will be smaller, talent pool won't be a high. And McMahon is a entertainer and likes $$$, he is going to want a TV contract and a good one at that! Getting that in today's jam packed sports world is not going to be easy. This can be like a minor league or developmental of sorts, but he will want it to be one that gets a lot of recognition, that will be hard.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,231,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
What McMahon really needs is for an NFL team to cross over into the XFL. That would never happen but it's the only way it would become relevant.
Maybe the XFL could purchase the naming rights to teams like the Houston Oilers. Team names that are no longer being used. Bring back the old logos for such teams.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
I'd watch it for sure, I like the concept of American Football but hate watching the NFL.

I read on the failings of the XFL as I wasnt even in the country at the time it was on so I never heard of it till this and it looked like WWE on a field with all the drama stuff.

If they had more than 11 minutes of action because of cutting out ads and constant replays id give it a go. I used to go to Arena Football for this reason and loved it. Ill watch with an open mind, but if it looks like the amateur dramatics of WWE, even slightly, then I wont watch it.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 AM

14,555 posts, read 22,418,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
ok.. Word is floating around that Vince McMahon is about to try to revive the XFL or something similar.

Vince McMahon sells some WWE shares to fund Alpha Entertainment LLC

Now.. I know my mind went to "Oh, Lord, here we go again".. But.. The second thought comes in.. Well.. Maybe they learned something.

I do actually think a competition to the NFL... Scratch that.. Not COMPETITION.. A sort of "Minor League" NFL could work. Not competing against the NFL, but a supplement to it.

It would have to be a spring/summer league. they couldn't market it like they did before. Cut out the focus on sex and violence (Concussion protocols would eliminate most of the violence)

But.. Guys who aren't making an NFL roster but aren't BAD players.. This would give them a home, and some hope of proving themselves to make an NFL roster. Treat it as something of a feeder league. Quasi-work with the NFL. Have differences in rules, make it unique but similar.

My biggest issue probably would be the involvement of McMahon.. Guy is a great promoter, there's no question about that, but he has an.. Earned reputation of being involved in scripted entertainment too much, so, it'll be hard to establish legitimacy with him involved.

They'd have to give it 2 to 3 years before the first game this time.. Get guys on rosters and actually.. you know.. Practice this time.

And, even if they rename the league and do the above.. Can they get past the stink of the XFL? With McMahon being tied to it.. That tag is an albatross around his neck no matter what they name the league.

My opinion, this league will fail, whether intended or not, but will destroy the NFL too, intended, and I'm fine with it. F the nFl. I'll put the f in the nfl.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I'd watch it for sure, I like the concept of American Football but hate watching the NFL.

I read on the failings of the XFL as I wasnt even in the country at the time it was on so I never heard of it till this and it looked like WWE on a field with all the drama stuff.

If they had more than 11 minutes of action because of cutting out ads and constant replays id give it a go. I used to go to Arena Football for this reason and loved it. Ill watch with an open mind, but if it looks like the amateur dramatics of WWE, even slightly, then I wont watch it.

I think someone mentioned it before in this topic, but check out the ESPN 30 for 30 "This was the XFL"

It's a really pretty fascinating look inside the league. It's amazing just how "seat of the pants" it was.

I think the timing on the first iteration was totally wrong. Not from a standpoint of would America support another league.. But from where Vince McMahon was at the time. He was in the middle of the "Attitude" era of wrestling.. Sex and violence ruled and him being over the top was selling tickets to wrestling. Plus, he had a feel of invincibility. He had just destroyed his two main competitors, WCW and ECW.. He was on top of the world and was the man with the golden touch. At least in his head.

Now.. He's mellowed some, it would seem. His wrestling product is PG.. He's taken steps to clean up drugs in wrestling. His wife is in politics, so, he has to be at least a little careful with image to avoid reflecting poorly on her (Though, honestly, the concern there maybe should go the other way around)

It's going to be a tough road, no question. I mentioned I think the 'no criminals' thing will be out the window before the league even starts. The "No political statements".. The ONE thing that I think most people actually liked about the XFL is the individuality that was allowed. I'm betting that everyone remembers "He Hate Me".. And from the sound of it. That individuality is something he wants to get rid of. Though.. I do agree that I don't want to see politics in a football game.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:03 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,858,489 times
He likely wants to get back to what football looked like in the 90's.

Big hits.

No defenseless receivers.

No protections for QBs.

No replays.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think someone mentioned it before in this topic, but check out the ESPN 30 for 30 "This was the XFL"

It's a really pretty fascinating look inside the league. It's amazing just how "seat of the pants" it was.

I think the timing on the first iteration was totally wrong. Not from a standpoint of would America support another league.. But from where Vince McMahon was at the time. He was in the middle of the "Attitude" era of wrestling.. Sex and violence ruled and him being over the top was selling tickets to wrestling. Plus, he had a feel of invincibility. He had just destroyed his two main competitors, WCW and ECW.. He was on top of the world and was the man with the golden touch. At least in his head.

Now.. He's mellowed some, it would seem. His wrestling product is PG.. He's taken steps to clean up drugs in wrestling. His wife is in politics, so, he has to be at least a little careful with image to avoid reflecting poorly on her (Though, honestly, the concern there maybe should go the other way around)

It's going to be a tough road, no question. I mentioned I think the 'no criminals' thing will be out the window before the league even starts. The "No political statements".. The ONE thing that I think most people actually liked about the XFL is the individuality that was allowed. I'm betting that everyone remembers "He Hate Me".. And from the sound of it. That individuality is something he wants to get rid of. Though.. I do agree that I don't want to see politics in a football game.
OK ill see if I can give that a watch this weekend.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:39 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,016,600 times
I love XFL!

Or how about MMA Football League?

Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM

461 posts, read 350,814 times
The spring pro football craze is back, but this time, 2 leagues. Alliance of American football and the return of the XFL.

Here's what I'm think should happen

The AAF
Cities added

Atlanta
Birmingham
Memphis
Orlando
Phoenix
San Diego
Salt lake city

Possible 8th city.....

Dallas
St Louis
Hartford
Norfolk
Portland
Shreveport
Sacramento

And the XFL
Possible returning teams

Chicago Enforcers
NY Hit man
LA Xtreme
Demons(Oakland)

Possible cities

St Louis
San Antonio
Portland
Shreveport
Norfolk
Columbus
jacksonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football