Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:56 PM

17,385 posts, read 14,925,309 times

Advertisements

ok.. Word is floating around that Vince McMahon is about to try to revive the XFL or something similar.

Vince McMahon sells some WWE shares to fund Alpha Entertainment LLC

Now.. I know my mind went to "Oh, Lord, here we go again".. But.. The second thought comes in.. Well.. Maybe they learned something.

I do actually think a competition to the NFL... Scratch that.. Not COMPETITION.. A sort of "Minor League" NFL could work. Not competing against the NFL, but a supplement to it.

It would have to be a spring/summer league. they couldn't market it like they did before. Cut out the focus on sex and violence (Concussion protocols would eliminate most of the violence)

But.. Guys who aren't making an NFL roster but aren't BAD players.. This would give them a home, and some hope of proving themselves to make an NFL roster. Treat it as something of a feeder league. Quasi-work with the NFL. Have differences in rules, make it unique but similar.

My biggest issue probably would be the involvement of McMahon.. Guy is a great promoter, there's no question about that, but he has an.. Earned reputation of being involved in scripted entertainment too much, so, it'll be hard to establish legitimacy with him involved.

They'd have to give it 2 to 3 years before the first game this time.. Get guys on rosters and actually.. you know.. Practice this time.

And, even if they rename the league and do the above.. Can they get past the stink of the XFL? With McMahon being tied to it.. That tag is an albatross around his neck no matter what they name the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 03:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,633,484 times
i think even with mcmahon running the show, it can be successful. but he needs a lot of help to erase the previous XFL issue.

he also needs to have someone run the league for him, and he just promote the league.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:15 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,919,587 times
This is the XFL was a great 30 for 30. Less theater and better talent could yield better results. Color me curious.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 PM

17,385 posts, read 14,925,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
This is the XFL was a great 30 for 30. Less theater and better talent could yield better results. Color me curious.
I actually watched that last night, and just got done watching the Year of the Scab one. Both quite good.

I watched it because I had seen the news report.. I recall that time and remember thinking that they were basically screwing it up.. I remember watching that first game and it was just a hot mess. I think I watched the second game that screwed up SNL, which was actually a good game.. But that was about it.

I still maintain, and actually believe even more after watching the 30 for 30.. McMahon was much of the problem. He needed a football person beside him going "Hey Vince, no, that's not a good idea"

Old 12-25-2017, 09:23 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,317,041 times
I would love to have the XFL back. I still believe that not everyone is great enough to play in the NFL but would be good enough to be in some type of league besides what is currently available. But they need to get better talent and treat it as a real football league.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:26 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,239,337 times
Competition in major sports is always an interesting topic. Competing leagues competing for talent. Thing is, look at the NFL now. With the quality (and lack thereof) of the teams & games it doesn't appear there is remotely enough available to talent to make all team competitive. The CFL is one thing as it's another country (if that matters), but a competing league in the states going after the same talent IMHO will water down both leagues. Then it becomes up to league management to set up rules to work with what they have. Goodell has been stepping in muck as of late but the NFL still thrives. A good league head in the XFL will be needed for it to have any chance, and I'm not sure McMahon is the right person for the job....I suppose no more or less than Trump was qualified to be POTUS.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,139,706 times
I'm down. Bring back the 2001 XFL Champion Los Angeles Xtreme!

Old 12-27-2017, 10:39 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,204,662 times
The greatest thing that came from the XFL:

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/6w...he-hate-me.jpg

Old 01-25-2018, 11:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,476,264 times
I think the announcement for this is coming soon!!!!

Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,669,225 times
I was a wrestling fan in the past (I don't watch the current product) but the problem with Vince is that he seems to fail at any non-wrestling venture. What has he done well besides wrestling? The World Bodybuilding Federation (WBF) was a dismal failure, the XFL was a dismal failure and his production company (WWE Studios) puts out a lot of crap but I don't think any of them have become big, mainstream movies unless they have The Rock in them. I don't anticipate this going well at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football