U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2017, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
Reputation: 5792

Advertisements

This was a surprise read this morning. It would appear that Green Bay violated IR rules with Aaron Rodgers and per NFL rules should be cut. Multiple teams have raised the issue with the NFL per breaking news from Adam Schefter. Link to CBS article below:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...about-ir-move/

Not going to happen but would make for spectacular off season drama. It would seem the Packers could just "re-sign" him but it would also open the floodgates, i.e. pocketbooks, of other NFL owners. Wonder if one of the complaining teams may have interest in usurping the services of Rodgers.

I wonder is said rule has ever been enforced before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2017, 10:05 AM
 
32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Reputation: 19041
i doubt that the packers are going to release rodgers, and even if they do, rodgers can refuse to even talk to any teams, and resign with the packers, or he can "retire" from the packers, and choose to come out of retirement near the beginning of next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Reputation: 12484
This is another item on the the long list of what is going on at 1265 Lombardi this season and what will Packers do about it?

I don't think Rodgers is going anywhere, he has 2 more years on his contract, plenty of hype the fans media have said he should leave the Packers though.

Packers might get a fine over this I would think, depending on how the inconsistent NFL reacts.

Adding: It is interesting that Fox and ESPN are talking about this, no article at NFL.com and nothing mentioned on NFL Network unless I missed it.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-24-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Reputation: 5395
I personally don't see this happening. Those owners are grasping at straws IMO! This would be something that could only come from a Rodgers decision and no one else. If an NFL rule was broken, then there's that, but c'mon... does anyone seriously see this as a possibility? Not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Reputation: 12484
McCarthy had a presser just now, totally dismissed this as the NFL signs off and knows about decisions, teams can't IR and move players around without notification. He gave a curt answer and media could tell not to ask a 2nd question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 03:30 PM
 
32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Reputation: 19041
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
This is another item on the the long list of what is going on at 1265 Lombardi this season and what will Packers do about it?

I don't think Rodgers is going anywhere, he has 2 more years on his contract, plenty of hype the fans media have said he should leave the Packers though.

Packers might get a fine over this I would think, depending on how the inconsistent NFL reacts.

Adding: It is interesting that Fox and ESPN are talking about this, no article at NFL.com and nothing mentioned on NFL Network unless I missed it.
given the idiocy of reichsfurher goodell, rodgers might get a 16 game suspension over this, which will be contested all the way to the supreme court of the US, only to be upheld in the end, which means that rodgers will likely have played all of next season, and contended with the cowboys for an NFC championship, and then played 2/3 of the season after, the scotus does move in a rather glacial pace from time to time, at which time they rule against the packers, and to save the packers room under the salary cap rodgers decides to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,629 posts, read 33,419,067 times
Reputation: 32339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
This was a surprise read this morning. It would appear that Green Bay violated IR rules with Aaron Rodgers and per NFL rules should be cut. Multiple teams have raised the issue with the NFL per breaking news from Adam Schefter. Link to CBS article below:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...about-ir-move/

Not going to happen but would make for spectacular off season drama. It would seem the Packers could just "re-sign" him but it would also open the floodgates, i.e. pocketbooks, of other NFL owners. Wonder if one of the complaining teams may have interest in usurping the services of Rodgers.

I wonder is said rule has ever been enforced before?
I would say "so?" It is not like it is hurting anyone. That is the Packers roster spot to manage. Teams should not be trying to manage the Packers roster.

Other teams calling the Pack out because they want Rodgers (yeah Cleveland, Washington, NY Jets, I'm talking to you.) I will bet my bonus and the first 3 months of my salary in 2018 that Rodgers is a Packer next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
Reputation: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would say "so?" It is not like it is hurting anyone. That is the Packers roster spot to manage. Teams should not be trying to manage the Packers roster.

Other teams calling the Pack out because they want Rodgers (yeah Cleveland, Washington, NY Jets, I'm talking to you.) I will bet my bonus and the first 3 months of my salary in 2018 that Rodgers is a Packer next year.
The answer to "so" would be "it's the rules" if, in fact, the Packers made an illegal roster move. Intriguing that both the NFL and Packers aren't addressing the issue. Could be a fire where there's smoke or a legitimate case of "nothing to see".

I'm trying to find out if this has been an issue before. Very curious to see if a team has ever had to replace a player because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Reputation: 12484
Reading Andrew Brandt today, he focuses on the business side of sports plus he is a director for a center for sports law, he doesn't seem concerned about it. Brandt's take on it:

“Good luck with that. Players with hang nails are put on IR this time of year.” The league already has signed off on Rodgers going on IR, so it’s a done deal. I guarantee you every team that called the league office to complain – the ESPN report said only that it was multiple teams – has done something similar in the last few years. This is a big nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,446 posts, read 15,432,286 times
Reputation: 11380
Rules are for the little people... And the Patriots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top