U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:46 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,908,219 times

Advertisements

Which type of stadium for football is better.

Also will there ever be an outdoor basketball stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 879,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Which type of stadium for football is better.
What do you mean 'better'? That's a hopelessly vague term.

On one hand, building a roof adds nine figures to the cost of a venue. On the other hand, it allows events - concerts, monster truck shows, conventions, etc. - regardless of weather. Which is 'better' depends on whether you own the building or you're the taxpayer footing the bill for the billionaire owner.

It doesn't matter for football attendance, as places like Green Bay and Buffalo and Chicago demonstrate. Fans in cold weather climates seem perversely pleased by bad weather. Anyway, in the event of really bad weather, such as extreme cold or precipitation, tickets are sold months before anyone knows those climatic realities will occur.

As for the aesthetic, I happen to like watching a game in the snow or rain or the like. But it's not like there's any meaningful change in viewership based on weather.

Quote:

Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
Football is meant to be played outside. Ford Field is an amazing place but I had hopes the Lions would would return to playing outdoors when returning to Detroit.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,957,010 times
I agree. Football is meant to be played outdoors. I would be very disappointed if the NE Patriots ever built a domed stadium...

Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,090,121 times
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_outdoor_games

Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 AM

929 posts, read 296,546 times
While I don't like them any where, particularly it's annoying to see places like Atlanta and New Orleans with domes. Give me a break.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,957,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Having played a lot of basketball, being outdoors can affect the game. If there is any wind, for example. It also can affect shooters. When I was a teenager in Boston, there was a kid that could really shoot well when playing outdoors, but never made the high school team as he was not as good indoors. We asked him about it and he thought that it was the background that was throwing him off....

Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
As a season ticket holder in Tampa for the last decade, I'm pretty fed up w/ having my skin bake in the hot FL sun as well as deal w/ the humidity - if you're going to charge and arm and a leg for NFL tickets, you better find a way to make the fans comfortable......find a way to shade the stands as they have in Miami.....or put a dome over those stadiums in extreme locations (Phoenix, Tampa, Miami, Minnesota).

Old 01-11-2018, 08:33 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,730 times
A dome in Atlanta is the dumbest thing ever. It makes no sense whatsoever. In general they are a bad idea w/football. The elements are part of the challenge of the game, or should be.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 AM

929 posts, read 296,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
A dome in Atlanta is the dumbest thing ever. It makes no sense whatsoever. In general they are a bad idea w/football. The elements are part of the challenge of the game, or should be.
Yes indeed. Usually means you have a lack of a large passionate fan base if you can't play outdoors and the weather isn't exactly sub-freezing most of the time. The only place that might be worse is Indianapolis. I know from personal experience (great college sports city, but not pro)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or