U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:14 PM

4,448 posts, read 7,192,320 times

Advertisements

Nevermind the fact that the NFL is in a Massive race-disparity... and that same segment don't tend to be overly sensitive "helicopter" parents. In fact I imagine it's more encouraged as it's a ticket out for the whole family, it's certainly a HUGE deal in my area (high school ball).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 02:16 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,948,608 times
There are some High Schools around the country that are doing away with Football.

However blacks make up about 70 percent of the NFL, and a majority of that 70 percent do not come from middle class households, they come from low-income households.

That being said many of those black athletes choose Football for the full ride athletic scholarship, which are only available in Football or Basketball.

The NFL will never die, but will continue to see the percentage of black athletes continue to grow, while white athletes (who are mostly from middle class backgrounds) continue to shrink.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:21 PM

3,741 posts, read 1,802,996 times
Iím not suggesting it would go away or die just lose market share. I came up in a high school dynasty period. Many if not most look back and say it wasnít worth the injuries and I wouldnít want my son to play.

One thing overlooked in a previous post is kids need permission.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Nevermind the fact that the NFL is in a Massive race-disparity... and that same segment don't tend to be overly sensitive "helicopter" parents. In fact I imagine it's more encouraged as it's a ticket out for the whole family, it's certainly a HUGE deal in my area (high school ball).
Agree

Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
Years ago I read part of a study. The main thesis was that helmets made the game more dangerous. One of the main points was that helmets gave players a false sense of safety and security leading to more risky and dangerous play.

Given that rugby is also a violent game and does not have the same problems (that I know of) it's a worthwhile subject to discuss.

Alterations to the game wouldn't shock me but I don't think we'll see ramifications of kids being pulled out of the game in the NFL for a very long time.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Years ago I read part of a study. The main thesis was that helmets made the game more dangerous. One of the main points was that helmets gave players a false sense of safety and security leading to more risky and dangerous play.

Given that rugby is also a violent game and does not have the same problems (that I know of) it's a worthwhile subject to discuss.

Alterations to the game wouldn't shock me but I don't think we'll see ramifications of kids being pulled out of the game in the NFL for a very long time.
This is what I tell people (especially non riders ) about motorcycle helmets.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
It's interesting, parents will rail against football for being so dangerous and yet they will turn around and text while driving with their children in the car........

CTE is obviously real and I feel that kids should not play full contact football until they're in 8th grade. Up until that point they should play flag football (which has become more and more popular with younger kids) to learn the basics of the game and then when their bodies are a bit older they can move onto full contact.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 AM

1,578 posts, read 982,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The NFL will never die, but will continue to see the percentage of black athletes continue to grow, while white athletes continue to shrink.
JJ, Agreed the NFL isn't gonna die.. I believe it's in some decline, but not due to concussion issues..

That said, it's indisputable that the rank & file of the NFL is predominately Black. But, currently I'd submit, the best QBs are White (all 4 left in the conference championships are White..), the best young coach McVay, best established coach Belichick, arguably the most dominant defensive player (JJ Watt), there are more Caucasian receivers (than I can remember in the last 25 years ?), White American place-kickers have displaced a lot of the foreign soccer players who rose in the 8os.. Young guns in Wentz and Goff, etc..I think the signs are that White players & coaches are thriving in the league, not fading.. And guys just up, & coming up like Christian McCaffrey & Mayfield are from the concussion-aware generation.

What say other City Datites ?

Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Yes but Iím saying is if they arenít allowed to play peewee and especially high school football then they are essentially out of it. 99% anyway. Then it will be down to the poor and hungry. A much smaller talent pool.
As long as people continue to watch and millions can be made the NFL will survive. I agree that fewer and fewer kids will play at both the peewee and high school levels. But here is what will happen:

The development of players will begin at the college level for 50% of the players that play football. You'll get wrestlers, track stars, baseball players, basketball players, soccer players etc. recruited by DI football programs. They've never played a down of football in their life but that's fine by the coaches because these kids are still the best athletes in the world. And when they are offered a full scholarship to play college football as a legal adult it will be too good an offer for most to pass up.

Also, the colleges will start recruiting more athletes in foreign countries. So what will change is how the players are developed and where they come from. As long as the overall product on the field does not turn into something that doesn't resemble football people will continue to watch and the NFL will continue to make money.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
as more American children are diverted from the dangers of youth football, the vacuum will be filled in with athletes from Germany and East European nations that are developing players right now. Some guy named Dieter will be along any minute to shatter all of Peyton Manning's passing records.

it's all in the Euro games expansion and Goodell's master plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or