U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 PM

272 posts, read 115,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Lacrosse is and has been the fastest growing sport for decades.
Right now it's Curling and Rugby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 AM

36,834 posts, read 16,078,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
Right now it's Curling and Rugby
I guess it depends on what article you find.

"Lacrosse participation grew 47 percent from 2010 to 2015. SFIA President and CEO Tom Cove attributes the growth to the the game expanding beyond the East Coast. Stats bear his theory out: There’s a dramatic rise in youth 6 to 12 years old, young adults 18 to 24 year old and athletes 55 to 64 years old. Rugby has risen 43 percent since 2010, a fact accentuated by its inclusion in the Olympics. “You see rugby moving from what was a private-school thing to being on almost every college campus,” says Cove. Rugby saw the biggest growth of any sport among the 18-to-24 crowd. There’s an 11.2 percent increase among men and a 12.2 percent increase among women, a telling sign that participation will increase.

https://www.connectsports.com/featur...rowing-sports/

Is rugby played in youth leagues and middle and high schools?

I am NOT trying to be comparative or argumentative, I am asking the question in all sincerity.

"Earlier this year, US Lacrosse’s annual participation survey indicated that the number of youth players, nationwide, had topped 450,000 for the first time ever, and that based on its collected data, lacrosse remains the fastest-growing team sport at the high school and collegiate levels.
Further evidence of this growth came last week when the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), which oversees all high school athletics throughout the state, announced that lacrosse had the largest percentage increase over the previous year among both girls and boys in California."

The recent participation report in California is consistent with findings from around the country. Over the last five years, the number of schools nationwide sponsoring lacrosse at the high school level has risen 27 percent.
Since US Lacrosse first surveyed national lacrosse participation in 2001, the number of players has grown from just over 250,000 to the current total of 826,023, an increase of over 225 percent over a 15-year timeframe."

https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/repo...-in-california

Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I guess it depends on what article you find.

"Lacrosse participation grew 47 percent from 2010 to 2015. SFIA President and CEO Tom Cove attributes the growth to the the game expanding beyond the East Coast. Stats bear his theory out: There’s a dramatic rise in youth 6 to 12 years old, young adults 18 to 24 year old and athletes 55 to 64 years old. Rugby has risen 43 percent since 2010, a fact accentuated by its inclusion in the Olympics. “You see rugby moving from what was a private-school thing to being on almost every college campus,” says Cove. Rugby saw the biggest growth of any sport among the 18-to-24 crowd. There’s an 11.2 percent increase among men and a 12.2 percent increase among women, a telling sign that participation will increase.

https://www.connectsports.com/featur...rowing-sports/

Is rugby played in youth leagues and middle and high schools?

I am NOT trying to be comparative or argumentative, I am asking the question in all sincerity.

"Earlier this year, US Lacrosse’s annual participation survey indicated that the number of youth players, nationwide, had topped 450,000 for the first time ever, and that based on its collected data, lacrosse remains the fastest-growing team sport at the high school and collegiate levels.
Further evidence of this growth came last week when the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), which oversees all high school athletics throughout the state, announced that lacrosse had the largest percentage increase over the previous year among both girls and boys in California."

The recent participation report in California is consistent with findings from around the country. Over the last five years, the number of schools nationwide sponsoring lacrosse at the high school level has risen 27 percent.
Since US Lacrosse first surveyed national lacrosse participation in 2001, the number of players has grown from just over 250,000 to the current total of 826,023, an increase of over 225 percent over a 15-year timeframe."

https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/repo...-in-california
https://www.inc.com/mandy-antoniacci...-business.html

"Rugby, known to novices as football without pads, is a sport played professionally in 120 countries. It ultimately gained its establishment here through American colleges and universities. Today, its massive expansion has stimulated the formation of youth leagues across the country. While participation in football and baseball has been declining steadily for years, rugby enrollment grew 81 percent from 2008 to 2013, beating out lacrosse and hockey--one of many reasons why the Sports & Fitness Industry Association ranked rugby as the fastest-growing team sport in the U.S."

"Billy is one of the 2.1 million kids in the U.S. who play rugby"

Really Like you said it can depend on the article, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if Rugby or Lacross are #1 o#2.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:29 AM

36,834 posts, read 16,078,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
https://www.inc.com/mandy-antoniacci...-business.html

"Rugby, known to novices as football without pads, is a sport played professionally in 120 countries. It ultimately gained its establishment here through American colleges and universities. Today, its massive expansion has stimulated the formation of youth leagues across the country. While participation in football and baseball has been declining steadily for years, rugby enrollment grew 81 percent from 2008 to 2013, beating out lacrosse and hockey--one of many reasons why the Sports & Fitness Industry Association ranked rugby as the fastest-growing team sport in the U.S."

"Billy is one of the 2.1 million kids in the U.S. who play rugby"

Really Like you said it can depend on the article, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if Rugby or Lacross are #1 o#2.
I am glad to see it is growing.

I do not know much about it

Are there a lot of injuries?

I see it is big in colleges.

Is it suitable for little league and middle/high school ?

I really do NOT like soccer.

UP and down the filed with very little scoring. just like hockey.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I am glad to see it is growing.

I do not know much about it

Are there a lot of injuries?

I see it is big in colleges.

Is it suitable for little league and middle/high school ?

I really do NOT like soccer.

UP and down the filed with very little scoring. just like hockey.
Between 5-25% of rugby injuries are head injuries, including concussions. In youth aged 10-18 years, 35% of injuries are fractures, of which 24% involve the clavicle. Superficial injuries represent 20% of rugby injuries, followed by head injuries and sprains (16%).

Flag rugby is also played at a younger age to introduce the little kids, but yes High Schools have been picking up on it.

Rugby if I recall has the most winning-est sports team, The All Black in New Zealand, there has been a lot more scoring in Hockey as of late btw.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
MLS and Soccer is growing.
Great, so instead of getting CTE from tackling, they can get CTE from heading a soccer ball.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Great, so instead of getting CTE from tackling, they can get CTE from heading a soccer ball.
Wow. Good thing a bowling ball needs to be on a floor during a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or