U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 07:13 AM

5,630 posts, read 4,227,315 times

Advertisements

When Josh McDaniels left for the Broncos in 2010.. the Pats finished the season 11-5 and lost in the first round of the Playoffs to the Ravens, at home, 33-14.
the next season they finished 14-2 but lost again in the first round of the playoffs, at home again, to the NY Jets 28-21.
the next season they finished 13-3, made it to the SB but lost to the NY Giants 21-17.
the next season, Josh returns, they finish 12-4 but lose to the Ravens in the AFC title game..

I think you could argue that losing McDaniel will hurt more than losing Matt Patricia, mainly because that's BBs area (defense).
regardless, as long as Brady is under center... the Patriots offense will be fine.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,051,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He's definitely a Brady, and Pats fan who used every opportunity to try to make the Eagles touchdowns illegitimate. When they went to commercial, the screen went blank, but his mike was still on, unknown to him, and I heard he say "unbelievable" after the one touchdown. Previously, he also kept saying, "I give up, I give up".
Yep. He did nothing but s**t on the Eagles the whole game. It was pathetic and unprofessional and it's gotten attention.

Fans call for head of Cris Collinsworth over 'bias' play-by-play - The Morning Call

Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,329,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree with your last statement.

But I think that poster is correct in terms of THIS game and the one memory that will last the longest. Both teams could have totaled 1500 yards and 100 points combined but it wouldn't have changed the fact that the single biggest and most memorable play of the game ended up being when the Eagles defense stepped up and made a play on Brady to all but end the game.
I'm a Bears fan, but grew up in Northeastern PA, and most of my immediate/extended family are Iggles fans, so I'm happy that they won.

Having said that, I'm a huge believer in luck, and for me luck can be either big or small and they don't call football a game of inches for nothing.

Taking nothing away from the Patriots, they do indeed have 5 Super Bowl wins, but none of their 5 wins were dominating, where the scores were 35-10 or 24-3, they always do just enough (credit to Belichick and Brady) to win or lose I guess. All of their wins could have gone the other way and their last 3 Super Bowl losses (2 to the Giants and now this one to the Eagles) could have also gone the other way as well, in their favor.

If the Seahawks just ran the ball at the end of Super Bowl XLIX, maybe they would have won, or if the Falcons just had better play calling last year, they probably could have won that game as well. And on the other end with the "infamous catch" in Super Bowl XLII, what if that never happened, maybe the Patriots would be the only 19-0 team. Or last night, with the 4th and goal call by the Eagles and the 4th and 1, on their own side of the field on their second to last drive, if they don't get that, maybe the Patriots win. Or if the Eagles defense doesn't strip the ball and Brady drives down the field and the Patriots score the winning TD.

The point I'm trying to get at, people underestimate luck, all the time and not only in sports, but in life in general.

Long live sports! Dilly Dilly!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 AM

929 posts, read 297,399 times
Until Belichick at least gives a truly compelling explanation to Bob Kraft about Malcolm Butler not playing a single defensive snap, I wouldn't go assuming Belichick is back next year. This isn't going away and if this was more about Belichick's massive ego and some riff with Butler from the last off-season, then BB may have bitten off more than he could chew this time. Matt Patricia's explanation is the biggest load of bunk I have ever heard.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 AM

28,516 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Until Belichick at least gives a truly compelling explanation to Bob Kraft about Malcolm Butler not playing a single defensive snap, I wouldn't go assuming Belichick is back next year. This isn't going away and if this was more about Belichick's massive ego and some riff with Butler from the last off-season, then BB may have bitten off more than he could chew this time. Matt Patricia's explanation is the biggest load of bunk I have ever heard.
That was surprising. I don't get it. And then you don't put him in after the Eagles were targeting Rowe for much of the night.

Browner Rips Patriots Benching Of Butler, Says Locker Room ‘Divided’

In an Instagram post after the Patriots lost to the Eagles, 41-33, Browner said the Patriots locker room was “divided pre-game” but he did not elaborate.

After ripping the Pats for their abysmal defensive performance and not allowing Butler to play a single snap in the biggest game of the year, Browner said, “You where (sic) hurt/burnt where he was needed tonight.”

Browner’s post was liked by Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower and former Patriot linebacker Jamie Collins.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
Conspiracy theory - Belichick sets up to fail

Belichick lets both Garoppolo and Brissett go, an odd move for a coach who has always kept options in place. Hoyer was not an option, but a plug.
Belichick benches Butler at kickoff of the biggest game of the season. Sure at this point we don't know the truth here, but even with his spotty play all year, as the game unfolded and the defense was terrible, he provided a solid option to try to settle things down.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 AM

28,269 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Dilly Dilly! Philly Philly!

Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 AM

28,516 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Do we understand that yesterday's game had the most yards in NFL history... for any game regular season and playoffs??

1151 total yards.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,861,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
You don't get rid of the best coach in the history of the game just because he might have made a mistake with personnel in his 8th super bowl appearance. That's ridiculous. Belicheck is fine.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM

5,630 posts, read 4,227,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Conspiracy theory - Belichick sets up to fail

Belichick lets both Garoppolo and Brissett go, an odd move for a coach who has always kept options in place. Hoyer was not an option, but a plug.
Belichick benches Butler at kickoff of the biggest game of the season. Sure at this point we don't know the truth here, but even with his spotty play all year, as the game unfolded and the defense was terrible, he provided a solid option to try to settle things down.
Conspiracy Theories, I am sure we will hear hoards of them... i do think the Garoppolo trade was odd.. but i think BBs hand was forced by Kraft. One of the things we know about Belichick is his intense respect for the history of the game. Here was a chance for him to put his name in the history books for years to come... 6 SBs would put him 2 ahead of anyone and i don't think for a second that that doesn't mean more to him than a grudge he might have against a player or ownership.

I do believe that if Belichick is the coach next year, the the conspiracy theories are debunked because unless Belichick has intentions of retiring this offseason, no way he sabotages last nights game out of spite...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or