U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 01:59 PM

4,310 posts, read 1,870,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
2- Hail mary play... Hogan got wiped out of the play about 15 yards down the field and never got back over to where the ball landed. Should have been illegal contact.
I saw that as well. I'm not sure if Brady had rolled out of the pocket or not but if he did I think it may be legal in that situation to blow up a receiver as long as the ball is not yet in the air because the QB could be deemed a runner by rule. This is at least what was explained to me when Richard Sherman blew up a Bills receiver in the Monday Night game a couple years ago as Taylor was scrambling out of the pocket.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 PM

28,629 posts, read 15,530,546 times
Philly Special... probably not so special... I heard Foles say they ran it in high school... also - scroll the video to the 2:00 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0MJKn_Wa7g

Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 PM

6,504 posts, read 3,484,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I saw that as well. I'm not sure if Brady had rolled out of the pocket or not but if he did I think it may be legal in that situation to blow up a receiver as long as the ball is not yet in the air because the QB could be deemed a runner by rule. This is at least what was explained to me when Richard Sherman blew up a Bills receiver in the Monday Night game a couple years ago as Taylor was scrambling out of the pocket.
I heard that if it's a Hail Mary the refs will pretty much stuff the whistles in their pockets. There have been historically very few PI's on such plays.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:38 PM

11,736 posts, read 11,578,635 times
They don't call PI on those Hail Mary's or Aaron wouldn't have the number of completions he does on those. Two of the three, there were borderline push offs.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:02 PM

13,372 posts, read 7,062,436 times
Honestly -- and NOT simply because I'm an Eagles fan -- I think they made the right call on both the touchdowns that were reviewed. On the first one, technically, the standard is the ruling on the field should stand in the absence of clear evidence to overturn it. I think that's what you have to keep in mind here. I didn't see a clear wobble. Clement clearly HAD the ball in his hands and got two feet down -- the third step looked to have made contact with the end line, but at that point it didn't matter. Did he really have "possession"? In the absence of visual evidence otherwise, I think the clear answer is always "yes." You assume that someone who has a football in their hands is in possession of it, unless they're clearly juggling it - which wasn't the case here.

On the second one, this is even more clearly a touchdown, in keeping with the spirit of the game, if not the rules. Ertz had it, got two feet down, and broke the plane. He's a runner. He already caught the ball. No different at that point than if he'd received a handoff.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,784,869 times
one of them wasn't a TD under the rule......the one that when he got control of the ball his foot was touching the line.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 PM

13,372 posts, read 7,062,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
one of them wasn't a TD under the rule......the one that when he got control of the ball his foot was touching the line.
He had possession and 2 feet down, before the third step made contact with the end line.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM

6,504 posts, read 3,484,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Honestly -- and NOT simply because I'm an Eagles fan -- I think they made the right call on both the touchdowns that were reviewed. On the first one, technically, the standard is the ruling on the field should stand in the absence of clear evidence to overturn it. I think that's what you have to keep in mind here. I didn't see a clear wobble. Clement clearly HAD the ball in his hands and got two feet down -- the third step looked to have made contact with the end line, but at that point it didn't matter. Did he really have "possession"? In the absence of visual evidence otherwise, I think the clear answer is always "yes." You assume that someone who has a football in their hands is in possession of it, unless they're clearly juggling it - which wasn't the case here.

On the second one, this is even more clearly a touchdown, in keeping with the spirit of the game, if not the rules. Ertz had it, got two feet down, and broke the plane. He's a runner. He already caught the ball. No different at that point than if he'd received a handoff.
Ertz's was most definitely a TD, not even close. Clements on the other hand, based on so many calls this year, was not. Once he gained control after the ball shift (control) only one foot landed in bounds. BUT, had to be irrefutable evidence to overturn the call on the field, and there really wasn't. If it was ruled incomplete I don't think they would have overturned it to a TD.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM

22,347 posts, read 32,253,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Ertz's was most definitely a TD, not even close. Clements on the other hand, based on so many calls this year, was not. Once he gained control after the ball shift (control) only one foot landed in bounds. BUT, had to be irrefutable evidence to overturn the call on the field, and there really wasn't. If it was ruled incomplete I don't think they would have overturned it to a TD.

that is probably accurate

I believe both defenses thought the game may have been tonight

I think for the casual fan thi was a very entertaining SB

As someone posted earlier, this game had the most combined yards of ANY NFL game in history

While it felt like neither team could stop the other, that fact actually still surprised me

Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl and World Champions

Pederson has got some balls

Old 02-05-2018, 05:23 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,894,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
He had possession and 2 feet down, before the third step made contact with the end line.
The ball was moving the whole time on the Clement TD and per the rule that's not a TD. I am not saying I agree with the rule. Had this been a regular season game, the TD gets overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or