U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 PM

28,499 posts, read 15,458,018 times

Advertisements

... the Eagles blew apart that narrative.

NFL prematurely promotes Vikings/Patriots Super Bowl

The National Football League on Friday deleted a Facebook post promoting a contest for Super Bowl tickets between the Minnesota Vikings and the New England Patriots.

What caught the eyes of every Philadelphia Eagles and Jacksonville Jaguars fan was not only the graphic, which featured Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and Vikings quarterback Case Keenum, but the fact that the copy clearly said: "When you donate to United Way, you could score 2 club-level seats to watch the PATRIOTS vs. the VIKINGS battle it out for the coveted Super Bowl title!"

This can all be chalked off to perhaps a clerical error on behalf of a NFL social media manager and that could maybe somehow lead to the production of the Google Super Bowl LII image result, but some see something more sinister afoot. Could it be a conspiracy? Is the game fixed?

Just dealing specifically with this topic only - as there is a general Super Bowl thread already... but I want to blow apart the theory that these games are fixed - because the NFL obviously wanted the Vikings to win.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Also, f the games were rigged the Jack fumble recovery would have never stood as called on the field. Despite the outcome of the game, I was incredibly pleased that they let that play stand as called on the field. The NFL has far too much to lose if they were ever caught knowingly rigging games.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM

6,449 posts, read 3,459,939 times
When Vince McMahon takes over for Roger Goodell, then we can talk about games being rigged.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM

22,879 posts, read 19,312,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
when vince mcmahon takes over for roger goodell, then we can talk about games being rigged.
lmao!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,305,530 times
I doubt they are rigged. Too many moving parts with 22 players on the field. But I DO believe the NFL knows certain teams and storylines are good for busine$$. A Jacksonville super bowl will NOT draw ratings, regardless of opponent. How often does a tough/controversial call go against New England? It's happened bur in a big game? Besides it's not ALWAYS the calls that are made, but the ones NOT made.
I'm NOT saying the NFL could help the Browns into a contender, but I can't help but notice certain teams or players constantly getting the benefit of any doubt. Most time the patriots are so good that they would win anyway, but in the playoffs the NFL just wants to be sure. Did anyone think Jacksonville REALLY would win that game? A Jaguar vs Vikings SB would be a 10-7 affair and NO way does the NFL want ratings to dip below that magical level. Even casual fans know the Patriots!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 PM

2,270 posts, read 881,321 times
The idea that the games are rigged makes zero sense.

First, you have to think that the NFL is consistently rigging the system for a team - New England - upon which it regularly heaps draconian punishment for doing things that other teams do, which the NFL either ignores or punishes with a slap on the wrist.

Second, if they're rigged then you have to think that the NFL decided that a small-market team - Jacksonville - that has little national interest should beat one of the most storied franchises - Pittsburgh - that is also one that regularly is among the top television draws (and it was a close game - those are the easiest games to rig with a call here or there).

Third, the team that has absolutely dominated the national television market for decades is the Dallas Cowboys and they haven't even gotten to an NFC Championship Game in over 20 years.

Like most conspiracy theories, if you just think about the logic of this one for ... oh, about ten seconds... it completely falls apart.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,179,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I doubt they are rigged. Too many moving parts with 22 players on the field. But I DO believe the NFL knows certain teams and storylines are good for busine$$. A Jacksonville super bowl will NOT draw ratings, regardless of opponent. How often does a tough/controversial call go against New England? It's happened bur in a big game? Besides it's not ALWAYS the calls that are made, but the ones NOT made.
I'm NOT saying the NFL could help the Browns into a contender, but I can't help but notice certain teams or players constantly getting the benefit of any doubt. Most time the patriots are so good that they would win anyway, but in the playoffs the NFL just wants to be sure. Did anyone think Jacksonville REALLY would win that game? A Jaguar vs Vikings SB would be a 10-7 affair and NO way does the NFL want ratings to dip below that magical level. Even casual fans know the Patriots!
I'm not saying, in any way, that they are rigged. However, it wouldn't be as hard as the statement in bold indicates.

Obviously, the easiest sport to rig is boxing. Pay whomever X to go down in the 6th round and stay down. With team sports, one key player can throw a game. A pitcher who throws a "meatball" right down the pike, a QB that throws the ball right to the defense, a RB with butterfingers, etc.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 PM

4,338 posts, read 2,267,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm not saying, in any way, that they are rigged. However, it wouldn't be as hard as the statement in bold indicates.

Obviously, the easiest sport to rig is boxing. Pay whomever X to go down in the 6th round and stay down. With team sports, one key player can throw a game. A pitcher who throws a "meatball" right down the pike, a QB that throws the ball right to the defense, a RB with butterfingers, etc.
Refs that don't call obvious penalties or penalize one team excessively and the other hardly at all...

Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,179,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Refs that don't call obvious penalties or penalize one team excessively and the other hardly at all...
That too.....

Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,372,427 times
Rigged towards the home team if that counts as rigged. But I think everyone knows the home team gets away with a little holding, pushing etc. Certain players also get preferential treatment. Didn't a ref tell Cam to his face he wasn't old enough to get a flag after a late hit?

Favre & Rodgers have gotten a lot of beneficial pass interference flags after failed 3rd down pass attempts at home. I recall some with Favre where the play would be over a good 2 sec & then a very late flag comes out. Give Favre a new set of downs & you may as well grant the Packers 7 points.

Also, I'd be surprised if refs aren't told to try to keep certain games close. Don't get me started on playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or