U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,136,732 times
Reputation: 12234

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Or how they let 2 damn good receivers go last year? Heck, history repeats because Brad Johnson was booted when Dandy Dapper Dan bought the team. Brad then won himself a superbowl elsewhere, in which Cousins will do the same perhaps.

Perhaps Cousins will join Shanahan.....
And they brought in Jeff George who lasted... 2 games. And scored a total of 3 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2018, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,497 posts, read 5,959,828 times
Reputation: 16259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Or how they let 2 damn good receivers go last year? Heck, history repeats because Brad Johnson was booted when Dandy Dapper Dan bought the team. Brad then won himself a superbowl elsewhere, in which Cousins will do the same perhaps.

Perhaps Cousins will join Shanahan.....
They couldn't justify keeping those WRs, not with a rookie first rounder ready to step in and a promising 2nd year receiver in Crowder. We all knew it was a step back but giving huge deals to two 30 year old receivers is the old way of doing business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 03:17 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,136,732 times
Reputation: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
They couldn't justify keeping those WRs, not with a rookie first rounder ready to step in and a promising 2nd year receiver in Crowder. We all knew it was a step back but giving huge deals to two 30 year old receivers is the old way of doing business.
I thought they should have kept one of them. They had nothing at that point from Doctson.. Crowder regressed some this year, at least so far as holding onto the damn ball, but I'm not overly worried about him. They thought they'd get a bridge year from Pryor.. Whew.. That didn't work out well. But, I won't crucify them for taking a shot on Pryor.. It was worth the gamble. Thank God they didn't give him a 5 year deal like they normally do when they think they got a great free agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,497 posts, read 5,959,828 times
Reputation: 16259
Yeah most of us were fine with the Pryor signing, I figured with Reed, Crowder, the emergence of Doctson they could spend the money elsewhere.

DJax went for 50/668/3 and Garcon 40/500/0 in an injury shortened season. So it's not like they have lived up to their deals. And of course they will only get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 AM
 
192 posts, read 82,309 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Andy Reid has held back Smith with the horrible play calling, all the dink and dunk stuff. And he has never had a good WR until this year and he made more long passes this year than he ever had before.
First year that Alex Smith has ever thrown for over 4,000 yards. Cousins has already done this 3 times. 13 years, Smith has never thrown for over 30 touchdowns (first time above 25), and the first time throwing for over 4,000. If anything, Andy was able to wring blood from a turnip with Smith, and I think Washington is going to be severely set back by this debacle of a trade. I'm just happy we picked up a stud CB, freed up cap space, and get to begin the Mahomes era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 10:32 AM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,136,732 times
Reputation: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
First year that Alex Smith has ever thrown for over 4,000 yards. Cousins has already done this 3 times. 13 years, Smith has never thrown for over 30 touchdowns (first time above 25), and the first time throwing for over 4,000. If anything, Andy was able to wring blood from a turnip with Smith, and I think Washington is going to be severely set back by this debacle of a trade. I'm just happy we picked up a stud CB, freed up cap space, and get to begin the Mahomes era.
To be fair.. Smith always had a strong running game around him. So, he hasn't really had, that much, to totally win the game with his arm. That will keep the passing numbers down some.

Right now, Washington is a big question mark at running back. Chris Thompson is set and is a star.. But your every down back.. Rob Kelley wound up hurt most of the year and Perine wasn't overly impressive in his starts. We argued this one in the Redskins topic whether it was more due to the backs or the line injuries. But I think there was only 1 100 yard rusher all year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829
I just think it's hilarious how all the "experts" coming out and saying the Redskins screwed up the negotiations with Kirk Cousins two years ago, yet if you travel back in time to that point, those same experts were balking at the idea of paying Cousins big money for 8 great games out of a 16 game season, and also talking about how he didn't beat any teams above .500. Those same experts also balking at the idea of the Redskins even franchise tagging Cousins, because the question was, "Is Kirk Cousins really a franchise player?"

Through all of this saga, the Redskins were going to be made to look stupid in the eyes of all the football "experts" in the media and on internet forum boards, as well as those talking heads on the loud mouth TV shows. Why? Well because they're the franchise who signed Jeff George, Deion Sanders, and Bruce Smith nearly 20 years ago. This is what Dan Snyder does, he overpays for over-the-hill talent or guys that don't deserve such contracts. Those same experts saying, "The Redskins are going to greatly over-pay for Kirk Cousins and then set the team back years!"

Truth is, there was no good way for the Redskins to play this out. It would've been a gamble if the Redskins gave Cousins a LTD after 2015. Sure, if you could predict the future, it would've been a great deal for the Redskins. But, nobody had any idea that Cousins would remain, statistically, consistent for the next two seasons. Anyone who said they did are flat out lying. The other truth to this whole ordeal is the fact that if Kirk Cousins truly wanted to remain a Redskin, he would've been open to negotiate a deal shortly after the 2016 season was completed. Instead, his agent tells the front office that they have absolutely no plans to negotiate until a franchise tag is in place. Basically saying, you can continue to rent Kirk Cousins for a high price, but you're not buying him completely, and we're not interested in negotiating. Knowing that, didn't really matter what deal the 'skins presented Cousins, because he wouldn't have accepted the deal anyway. Kirk knew his payday was going to be much, much higher if he just waited it out, and that is what he continued to do.

Same thing for this offseason. Cousins was going to do the same exact thing again. So, thank GOD the Redskins organization finally said enough is enough. We're going to go out and get a proven quarterback who will cost the organization less, who has at least a few playoff wins under his belt, and will fit into Jay Gruden's offense perfectly. The ONLY thing wrong with this trade is giving up Kendall Fuller. That part I absolutely HATE about this deal, but otherwise, it's a great deal. The Redskins will get a 3rd round pick for Cousins in 2019, making the 3rd they're giving up in 2018 a wash. And who knows, the 'skins might wind up trading down in the first round to regain that draft pick back, so the deal in itself is a solid deal for both Alex Smith and the Redskins.

A lot of you guys who don't follow the Redskins closely think all the Redskins had to do is present Kirk Cousins a solid, fair deal, and he would've accepted it. I like to live in the world of reality and realize that wasn't going to happen, no matter how much the Redskins needed to over-pay for Cousins. I loved Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. He's a solid player, a very good quarterback, and I think he will have success in the league. But, don't think that He ever truly wanted to stay in Washington, because if that was true, he would've already been signed to a LTD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 12:03 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,136,732 times
Reputation: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Through all of this saga, the Redskins were going to be made to look stupid in the eyes of all the football "experts" in the media and on internet forum boards, as well as those talking heads on the loud mouth TV shows. Why? Well because they're the franchise who signed Jeff George, Deion Sanders, and Bruce Smith nearly 20 years ago. This is what Dan Snyder does, he overpays for over-the-hill talent or guys that don't deserve such contracts. Those same experts saying, "The Redskins are going to greatly over-pay for Kirk Cousins and then set the team back years!"

Well. Don't forget Fat Albert.


But, most of us realize that they've gotten better. They still swing and miss.. Desean Jackson was a great pickup as was Pierre Garcon.. Those are probably the only two I can think of off the top of my head that were great signings.



They still have a tendency of having.. Problems.. Junior Galette.. I mean, that wasn't a BAD signing.. It didn't work out great, but I don't fault them for it. Zack Brown, great sign, but I'm not sure they're going to be able to keep him. Pryor, as I said before.. That was worth the gamble and while it didn't pan out, it was a smart signing being a 1 year deal. The Josh Norman deal.. Not sure that's going to be a win overall. For the money he's being paid.. Not getting a great return.



To me.. Kirk was impressive from his first start back in 2012. I've been calling to go with Kirk since 2013 really. So.. I'm really disappointed by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,761 posts, read 4,250,886 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well. Don't forget Fat Albert.


But, most of us realize that they've gotten better. They still swing and miss.. Desean Jackson was a great pickup as was Pierre Garcon.. Those are probably the only two I can think of off the top of my head that were great signings.



They still have a tendency of having.. Problems.. Junior Galette.. I mean, that wasn't a BAD signing.. It didn't work out great, but I don't fault them for it. Zack Brown, great sign, but I'm not sure they're going to be able to keep him. Pryor, as I said before.. That was worth the gamble and while it didn't pan out, it was a smart signing being a 1 year deal. The Josh Norman deal.. Not sure that's going to be a win overall. For the money he's being paid.. Not getting a great return.



To me.. Kirk was impressive from his first start back in 2012. I've been calling to go with Kirk since 2013 really. So.. I'm really disappointed by this.
Understood. I mean, Kirk has been our first quarterback that this team drafted and developed, that has turned out to be really impressive. I mean, there were times watching him play that I started having those feelings of (he's going to make a huge play) that I haven't had with our QBs in quite awhile. Kind of that comfort zone I had way back when I watched this team play with Joe Theismann. I knew the Redskins would be in it and most of the time, win more than they'd lose. I was starting to feel that way with Cousins.

Kind of like a geeky dude meeting a really hot girl that will go out with him as long as he spends a lot of money on her, but no amount of money is enough for her to want to be exclusive with him. You realize you have to cut her loose and be thankful for the fun you had for a short term. And no, I'm not talking from experience LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 01:53 PM
 
9,471 posts, read 7,136,732 times
Reputation: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Understood. I mean, Kirk has been our first quarterback that this team drafted and developed, that has turned out to be really impressive. I mean, there were times watching him play that I started having those feelings of (he's going to make a huge play) that I haven't had with our QBs in quite awhile. Kind of that comfort zone I had way back when I watched this team play with Joe Theismann. I knew the Redskins would be in it and most of the time, win more than they'd lose. I was starting to feel that way with Cousins.

Kind of like a geeky dude meeting a really hot girl that will go out with him as long as he spends a lot of money on her, but no amount of money is enough for her to want to be exclusive with him. You realize you have to cut her loose and be thankful for the fun you had for a short term. And no, I'm not talking from experience LOL!!!
Everyone got so up in arms when he had.. Several bad games early on. Was it 2014 against the Giants where he threw like 5 picks? Too few people, my opinion, saw the raw talent there and could say he just needed to play through it. After all, he played 2 games as a rookie (1 start).. 3 in '13, got started and yanked in '14.. Once he got a half season under his belt in '15 and knew he was the guy.. His play improved.

The only knock I can put on him is he tends to fall flat in bigger games. But.. Again, i'd love to see what he could do on a team with a solid running game. I don't think it's fair to put it to him to win every game. VERY few QBs can do that. You look at Dalton, who is probably the only QB with a consistently worse running game than Cousins has had.. He hasn't been all that great these past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top