U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2018, 03:01 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Reputation: 12202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
That would be very interesting to see Cousins in Minnesota. I think he'd love it there as they are stacked! I do see him in Denver though. They still have a great defense, and I honestly think a better QB gets Denver back in contention. I wouldn't count out Arizona, though looking at it, I think if he truly wants to win and have a shot at the Super Bowl, he'd want to go Minnesota or Denver. I think Minnesota has a better coach and should be on his very short list. If he goes to Cleveland, then he's just looking for a big pay day.
And if he goes to the Jets.. He's a sadist. They're not great, and he'd be under that NY media scrutiny.

I don't think Minnesota is in the cards. They're going to keep ONE of the QBs they have now.

Denver I think is most likely. Elway will go after him.

Garrappolo's contract today will likely influence what he signs for. He'll get more than that.. And that was alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Reputation: 2353
Assuming guys like Rosen and Darnold are as good as advertised and with the Browns possibly thinking about going with Allen at #1 I would think a lot of QB needy teams behind Cleveland and NY Giants would want to see what is going to play out in the draft. That could put a bit of a damper on the Kirk Cousins market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Assuming guys like Rosen and Darnold are as good as advertised and with the Browns possibly thinking about going with Allen at #1 I would think a lot of QB needy teams behind Cleveland and NY Giants would want to see what is going to play out in the draft. That could put a bit of a damper on the Kirk Cousins market.
Few QBs who start their first year do well.

Brady, Cam Newton, Eli Manning somewhat (he only started half), Troy Aikman.. I'd say Aikman is the poster child.. He had such a horrible rookie year.. He might be the only 'modern' quarterback to do that bad and then become a star QB with the same team. We can possibly throw Deshawn Watson in here. Though honestly, there's not enough time there. I do think he'll be a great QB long term, but.

There's a lot longer list of QBs who flamed out after being a first round pick and starting right away.

so, even teams that draft a QB.. some of them are going to be looking for a veteran. I doubt any will be looking at Cousins, however, because they won't be looking for a 3 to 5 year QB. They're going to be looking along the lines of a journeyman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Few QBs who start their first year do well.

Brady, Cam Newton, Eli Manning somewhat (he only started half), Troy Aikman.. I'd say Aikman is the poster child.. He had such a horrible rookie year.. He might be the only 'modern' quarterback to do that bad and then become a star QB with the same team. We can possibly throw Deshawn Watson in here. Though honestly, there's not enough time there. I do think he'll be a great QB long term, but.

There's a lot longer list of QBs who flamed out after being a first round pick and starting right away.
That's because the list of quarterbacks to flame out in general is longer than the list of quarterbacks who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,234,660 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Assuming guys like Rosen and Darnold are as good as advertised and with the Browns possibly thinking about going with Allen at #1 I would think a lot of QB needy teams behind Cleveland and NY Giants would want to see what is going to play out in the draft. That could put a bit of a damper on the Kirk Cousins market.
I think after seeing the contract the Jimmy G is going to sign, it just means an even bigger pay day for Kirk Cousins. All the more reasons to be thankful we're going with Alex Smith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think after seeing the contract the Jimmy G is going to sign, it just means an even bigger pay day for Kirk Cousins. All the more reasons to be thankful we're going with Alex Smith.
I think the Jimmy G contract combined with the 4-5 legitimate rookie prospects in this years draft are going to persuade more than one team to not consider Kirk Cousins as a serious option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 02:58 PM
 
1,331 posts, read 1,015,616 times
Reputation: 1092
The Jimmy G contract amount was definitely a surprise; it had been reported that the 49ers were going to try to get a contract done rather franchise him, so I wasn't surprised that they got a deal done. The money did surprise. I guess I assumed that he would end up getting signed for $20 to $22 million per but was definitely surprised that they reset the market for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 03:04 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
The Jimmy G contract amount was definitely a surprise; it had been reported that the 49ers were going to try to get a contract done rather franchise him, so I wasn't surprised that they got a deal done. The money did surprise. I guess I assumed that he would end up getting signed for $20 to $22 million per but was definitely surprised that they reset the market for him.
Haven't we been down this road before with Ryan Mallett? no, sorry.. Matt Cassel.. And he had started more games.

Though I do think Jimmy G will have a better overall career. Belichick didn't want to give him up. That should be somewhat telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 04:35 PM
 
9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Reputation: 12202
Holy crap.. $84 FULLY GUARANTEED? In the NFL?

Can anyone else remember a fully guaranteed contract?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...th-84m-reports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Reputation: 33502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Holy crap.. $84 FULLY GUARANTEED? In the NFL?

Can anyone else remember a fully guaranteed contract?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...th-84m-reports

wonder if ARodge's will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top