Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,867,781 times

Advertisements

What ticks me off about this is nobody can officially be traded 'til the start of the new league year in March. If a contracted player uses back-channels to reach out to a new team it's tampering, but if two teams play footsie in the dead period it's NBD.

Chiefs trade Alex Smith, will start Patrick Mahomes | The Kansas City Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,276,826 times
I wonder if Cousins would want to go to the Jets or Bills to go head-to-head against the Pats & Brady, or join Denver, one of the 2 major AFC Pats killers over the years.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,609,803 times
I'm curious where Cousins ends up.

I don't believe Elway will make a move for Cousins. He's not the big 6'5" QB with an amazing arm that Elway seems to love. I also don't see the Broncos in a position to pay Cousins $23+ million per year on a new contract.

I don't think he ends up a NY Giant. Giants have too many holes on the offensive line to compete immediately. They are better off drafting a rookie #2 overall as their long term solution while focusing on the line in FA and with their other picks.

I don't see him in Cleveland either. Browns got to take whichever QB they like best at #1 overall.

That basically leaves us with Jacksonville, NY Jets, Buffalo and Arizona. I could see Cousins willing to play for all four but it's probably going to come down to which team will pay the most for him. Ultimately I'm not sure the cost will be as great as a lot of people had been thinking. Maybe only around $23 million per year.

A wildcard could be Minnesota if they decide to move on from all three of their QBs.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:22 AM

8,264 posts, read 8,635,343 times
I think the Cardinals is the best choice for him and it's not because I am a Cardinals fan. It's tough for the Bills and Jets to make the playoffs. The Cardinals only need a G and CB, and maybe a WR and they will contend again. They aren't losing anyone important in free agency.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,457,209 times
I liked Kirk Cousins and I had hoped the 'skins would've kept him, but there was no way he was signing a long term contract with the Redskins. Not for anything short of a ridiculous amount, and even then, he would've wanted the contract nearly all guaranteed. Signing him to another franchise tag would've been down right stupid. He would've made $78M all guaranteed for three years of no playoff wins and a win % of .500.

Alex Smith fits into Jay Gruden's offense perfectly. He has better wheels than Cousins, but he does need a strong running game if he plans on repeating the performance he had in 2017. That being said, yes, he's 33 years old, but he's still got a lot of playing time left in him, and the deal he got is a bargain compared to what they would've paid Cousins if Kirk was remotely interested in signing long term with Washington. The only part I completely hate is giving up Kendall Fuller. That dude is a baller and I feel a bit fleeced by Andy Reid for getting him, but it is what is. The Redskins now have money to sign guys like Zach Brown (hopefully) and pick up some other solid free agents for the defense and offense (need wide receivers.)

The third round pick is a wash, because the 'skins will get a compensatory 3rd round pick next year for letting Cousins go into free agency.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:10 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,604,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think the Cardinals is the best choice for him and it's not because I am a Cardinals fan. It's tough for the Bills and Jets to make the playoffs. The Cardinals only need a G and CB, and maybe a WR and they will contend again. They aren't losing anyone important in free agency.
My feeling about Cousins as an Arizona guy is nope, we don't need him.

Arizona doesn't need an overpaid diva who will constantly be looking at his bottom line without regard to what the rest of the team needs. This may be more of what his agent is demanding, but it's basically the same thing if Cousins is on board with that.

Let some other team drop their cash capital on the guy. He would become an immediate drain on them as well. I'd prefer to see a draftee, trade or free agent who would understand he'd need to learn teamwork and organizational give & take.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,687,342 times
From what I have read, Cousins is likely to become the highest-paid QB in the league and, thus, the highest-paid player in the league when he signs with a team as a free agent. Who was the last high-ceiling QB to reach free agency? I think it has been awhile, as higher-end QBs typically don't reach free agency; they typically either get a long-term deal with their team or get traded for a king's ransom.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,989,467 times
I think the Vikings are a darkhorse to land Cousins. He's an upgrade to any of the 3 they have on the roster and since all 3 are entering FA, why not just make the break and land a QB that can catapult that offense to the next level? Cousins leading that offense along with that defense they have would be bad news for the NFC North, and possibly the NFC as a whole.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:47 AM

19,713 posts, read 10,099,641 times
The Chiefs problem was not Alex Smith, it is Andy Reid. During the winning streak, Nagy was calling the plays. Reid called them during the losing streak. Dink and dunk is Reid's style of offence and he never got a good WR until this year. Smith will improve the Redskins and Nagy will improve the Bears.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,605,754 times
It will be interesting to see when Packers get a deal done for Rodgers. He is down the ladder $ wise now so I'm thinking they need to do this. He is a better QB than all these guys getting huge deals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football