U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:09 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,903,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The crazy thing, every Super Bowl back then was a blowout! go figure..
yeah, the nfc was stacked.getting to the superbowl in the nfc was pretty much like winning the superbowl. washington, giants, cowboys, and 49ers. toughest era for sure.. afc really had no chance.

my cowboys and danny white played at the wrong time..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,688,982 times
This was not Brady's best game.

The patriots only got 6 points in the first 1-1/2 quarters 4 times within the 40. That was huge.

You can throw 500 yds passing out there till the cows come home. Even Brady said it after the game...they never felt like they could dictate terms or control the game...'

I respect the guy and his talent...there is no way one can say "what more can he do" in this case....

Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This was not Brady's best game.

The patriots only got 6 points in the first 1-1/2 quarters 4 times within the 40. That was huge.
That was quite interesting, where Brady would have these huge passing plays and move his team down the field, almost with ease (since the Pats never punted). Then they get to the red zone and the Eagles D decided to "wake up" and hold them to field goals or field goal attempts, at least until 2 minutes left in the first half, when New England finally scored its first TD.

Then the Eagles went right back down the field in a minute and a half to score a TD on that trick play on 4th and goal, right before halftime.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That was quite interesting, where Brady would have these huge passing plays and move his team down the field, almost with ease (since the Pats never punted). Then they get to the red zone and the Eagles D decided to "wake up" and hold them to field goals or field goal attempts, at least until 2 minutes left in the first half, when New England finally scored its first TD.

Then the Eagles went right back down the field in a minute and a half to score a TD on that trick play on 4th and goal, right before halftime.
That is why the passing yardage is extremely misleading.....its about scoring TD's and capitalizing.

Everyone said the best defense against the Pats would be to keep Brady off the field.....Surprisingly, it was good to have him on the field early in the game!

Old 02-06-2018, 03:09 PM

4,988 posts, read 11,074,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I definitely wouldn't call that Brady's best game; objectively, Nick Foles outplayed him. He had at least three or four throws that could have been picked because of underthrows or poor ball placement. His situational awareness, a skill he's been amongst the best to ever have, was not particularly great (that run before half, the clock management before half, not being able to feel the pressure and get rid of the ball before the strip sack). Yes, it's a team game, and there is plenty of blame to go around for the loss, but Brady played a better games versus Carolina 14 years ago, he played a better game versus Seattle three years ago....

It was his best statistical Super Bowl. It was far from his best game...

I was on the phone with my dad last night, who gave an interesting thought. He said he'd take Montana over Brady still, but offered that because we've watched Brady lose three times (and basically his first SB win was won by the Pats D), we've seen more of his errors on the big stage. We've seen him play not so great, like last year even though he won. And again my dad, who is 53, his opinion is that seeing those flaws in Brady stick in the minds eye, whereas Montana never played poorly enough to contribute to a 25-point deficit, Montana made his own legendary plays, and he never lost. Our eyes saw less of his flaws, so we may tend to exaggerate Brady's...

He also applied this same logic to the comparable Jordan/Lebron debate, and it's a very interesting, thoughtful take. It doesn't necessarily mean Montana was better, but he looked better without some of the same mistakes...
I'm older than your dad and saw Montana play poorly plenty of times on the big stage which is why Montana wasn't able to take his team to the SB as many times as Brady has...

"Montana had four playoff one-and-dones in his career. Brady has had two.

In those three games, Montana completed 52.3 percent of his passes for 503 yards, no touchdowns and four interceptions.

Brady’s one-and-done appearances (2009 and 2010), saw him complete 59.8 percent of his throws for 453 yards, four touchdowns and four interceptions.

Even at their worst, Brady has been better."
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017...rterback-ever/

That is taken from a Pro 49er's website that conceded LAST year that Brady >>>>Montana and nothing Brady did this year diminished his hold on that position.

What Brady did to the Philly Defense under constant pressure was FAR more impressive than what Foles did to the Pat's Defense....

Statistically including advanced stats what Brady did in this past SB was beyond ridiculous against a supposedly "top" defense to boot.....

"Brady was 21-32 for 395 yards, three touchdowns, and a passer rating of 139.5 when throwing outside the numbers in Super Bowl LII. With just seven of his completions coming in the middle of the field."

"Brady was also unbelievably good when under pressure on Sunday night as he has been all season, finishing nine for 18 for 237 yards and a passer rating of 95.8 when under pressure."
https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/6/...bowl-52-eagles

People who nit pick that a few throws "could have been picked off"?? Well they weren't while Foles did throw a pick...and had several others that also could have been picked

Not to mention Foles could have sat back in his pocket and read a book due to the lack of pressure provided by the Pats while Brady was consistently getting the ball out in about 2.5 seconds and STILL threw for over 500 yards with the second fewest attempts all time needed to accomplish that feat...

For an "old" QB who supposedly can't throw outside the numbers, he absolutely SHREDDED the Eagles outside the numbers...

He also led the team to what should have been 37 points which should have been more than enough to win...

Brady also put his team ahead in the 4th Quarter or OT for the 8th Superbowl in 8 tries even if they eventually lost 3 of them.....

Montana was a GREAT capital G QB, and up until a few years ago the definitive GOAT.

The era may have been different in terms of emphasizing the passing game but some of that is offset by the bigger, faster players on D that Brady has to deal with that Montana did not, not to mention no free agency, a statistically better defense for Montana every season he won and the consensus greatest receiver if not "football player" that ever lived in Jerry Rice.

Brady has consistently done more with less talent around him then Montana did and isn't even close...

I would also say coaching is a push with Walsh every bit the equal of Belichick

I thought Brady passed Montana after the Seattle SB and after the Falcons comeback the debate has pretty much been put to rest even amongst most rational 49er fans.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:55 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,233,952 times
I have already mentioned who my vote for Goat would be (Brady) but that's not based on any greater level skill that Brady has over Montana because i don't think he does. For me it comes down to accomplishments and even though those accomplishments are more team based than anything else, there is really no other way to break the tie...

I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other. I think that if you took a 1988 version of Joe Montana and insert him into Sunday's SB vs the Eagles, he is gonna light up the Eagles just like Brady did, no doubt in my mind. And the same can be said for Brady, you could take a 2017 Tom Brady and insert him into SB XXIV against the Denver Broncos and he will light them up as Montana did...

I think you can say the same thing about other Great QBs like Bradshaw, Unitas, Graham... all would have the same success that Brady has had, IMO... Do you think Dan Marino doesn't win a SB if you put him in Tom Bradys shoes these past 15 or so years, do you think Brady wins one with the Dolphins in Marinos? that's a tough argument IMO.

Its easy to see the difference between say Tom Brady and most current starting QBs but that line is blurred when you start to compare him to say a Aaron Rodgers or Ben Rothlisberger or Russell Wilson. The tie breaker is often championships and nothing more... Now try to compare Brady to greats of the past and it gets even blurrier.. today's is nothing like the game of the past... QBs were simply not asked to do as much passing but as i recall, Bradshaw called his own plays. Let that sink in for a second when you start comparing QBs from today vs QBs from yesterday... its simply a different game and there is no way to accurately compare them. So we use championships and i am ok with that.. but please don't pretend that the argument that Brady was better than Montana is an easy one to make, because its not.. not by a long shot!

Old 02-07-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I have already mentioned who my vote for Goat would be (Brady) but that's not based on any greater level skill that Brady has over Montana because i don't think he does. For me it comes down to accomplishments and even though those accomplishments are more team based than anything else, there is really no other way to break the tie...

I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other. I think that if you took a 1988 version of Joe Montana and insert him into Sunday's SB vs the Eagles, he is gonna light up the Eagles just like Brady did, no doubt in my mind. And the same can be said for Brady, you could take a 2017 Tom Brady and insert him into SB XXIV against the Denver Broncos and he will light them up as Montana did...

I think you can say the same thing about other Great QBs like Bradshaw, Unitas, Graham... all would have the same success that Brady has had, IMO... Do you think Dan Marino doesn't win a SB if you put him in Tom Bradys shoes these past 15 or so years, do you think Brady wins one with the Dolphins in Marinos? that's a tough argument IMO.

Its easy to see the difference between say Tom Brady and most current starting QBs but that line is blurred when you start to compare him to say a Aaron Rodgers or Ben Rothlisberger or Russell Wilson. The tie breaker is often championships and nothing more... Now try to compare Brady to greats of the past and it gets even blurrier.. today's is nothing like the game of the past... QBs were simply not asked to do as much passing but as i recall, Bradshaw called his own plays. Let that sink in for a second when you start comparing QBs from today vs QBs from yesterday... its simply a different game and there is no way to accurately compare them. So we use championships and i am ok with that.. but please don't pretend that the argument that Brady was better than Montana is an easy one to make, because its not.. not by a long shot!
Well thought out post! Especially the part about former QB's calling their own plays....totally forgot that some used to do that back in the day....could you imagine that happening today?

Old 02-07-2018, 07:34 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,136,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Well thought out post! Especially the part about former QB's calling their own plays....totally forgot that some used to do that back in the day....could you imagine that happening today?
It happens with audibles, but otherwise it's a pretty rare phenomenon for most QBs!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:12 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,245,823 times
Never understood why people compare quarterbacks from different eras? Would be a different story if Montana had just retired in the last 5 years and had a taste of the modern game. But his era of football was over 30 years ago. He was the greatest in his era. Hands down. Brady is the greatest in his era, hands down.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,964,718 times
Fromm 1985 to 1987, the 49ers went to the playoffs three times and lost in their first game three times (NY Giants twice adn then the Vikings). Joe Montana was in his late 20's/early 30's at the time, prime time for a QB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or