U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 AM

16,770 posts, read 9,110,249 times

Advertisements

Stephen A. Smith said that Montana's 4-0 on Super Bowls means he is better than Brady as a QB, because Brady is 5-2 (pending at least 1 more Super Bowl) and that the Super Bowl is the biggest stage so it is that important.

I think this is poor logic, first of all it is a team game, and a team accomplishment we are talking about.

Moreover, using Smith's logic, it is better that Montana missed the playoffs more often than Brady. It is better that Montana bowed out of the playoffs early more often than Brady.

Brady is penalized for making it to the playoffs more consistently and navigating his team all the way to the final game.

Smith for calling a QB the greatest would rather have a QB lose in the first round of the playoffs, than navigate his team to the Super Bowl and then lose it. No credit for getting there.

Where do you draw a line on this logic? Is a 2-0 in Super Bowls, but losing record in the playoffs QB better than Brady? Is Trent Dilfer better than Brady, because he is unblemished on the biggest stage?

Record in the playoffs:
Brady 27-9
Montana 16-7

Times missed the playoffs:
Brady 1
Montana 3

Seasons with losing records:
Brady 0
Montana 3

Last edited by michiganmoon; 02-01-2018 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 08:08 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times
I don't listen to the greatest ever banter anymore, and that was before this season began. Too many people just refuse to let the cement of Brady being the greatest dry, even though from my perspective Brady was cast in stone as the greatest before winning #5 last year. You can throw this logic and that angle, yet it's all deflections to me. I know what I've seen, I know what the record books and stats say - the argument has been over for a while now.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:45 AM

10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
I am a huge Montana guy, he was always at the top of my list. But that changed last February, after that comeback there is simply no justification for having Brady in any other spot than the top one. But since when has Screaming A Smith ever needed justification for having a stupid opinion?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:35 AM

22,876 posts, read 19,300,165 times
GREEN is not just the color of money, huhn??

Old 02-01-2018, 09:38 AM

929 posts, read 296,681 times
I can find reasons to take Montana, but the analogies used by Smith are dumb and close to, irrelevant. We don't judge other positions by Super Bowls won and it shouldn't be the end-all, be-all criteria. Personally, I try not being biased towards current era players, but Aaron Rodgers is the best I've ever seen play the position.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I can find reasons to take Montana, but the analogies used by Smith are dumb and close to, irrelevant. We don't judge other positions by Super Bowls won and it shouldn't be the end-all, be-all criteria. Personally, I try not being biased towards current era players, but Aaron Rodgers is the best I've ever seen play the position.
I think Rodgers is the greatest physically gifted QB to ever play the game. Different highlight reel material than Brady, a mix of pocket passer and scrambler with some Favre gunslinger mixed in.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:17 AM

11,057 posts, read 3,758,683 times
Brady better than Montana.....and will last longer in the NFL than Montana.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 879,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Stephen A. Smith said that Montana's 4-0 on Super Bowls means he is better than Brady as a QB, because Brady is 5-2 (pending at least 1 more Super Bowl) and that the Super Bowl is the biggest stage so it is that important.

I think this is poor logic, first of all it is a team game, and a team accomplishment we are talking about.
It's not merely poor logic, it's completely idiotic. The fact that it's a team has squat to do with it.

Imagine this assertion:
"Jones was a greater Olympic swimmer than Johnson. Jones won four gold medals. Sure, Johnson won five gold medals, but he also won two silvers."

By what utterly inane logic should those silver medals detract from a legacy? A silver medal is second place. Losing the Super Bowl is second place. By what logic is failing to medal more impressive than winning a medal other than the gold? That's the drivel being served up - that somehow its more impressive when a team is beaten before getting to the Super Bowl than being beaten in it. Claiming that it's more impressive to go to a Super Bowl and almost win it, than it is to fail to even make it that far? There is zero sense to that.

That's idiotic. That sort of thinking means that Dan Marino and Jim Kelly and Fran Tarkenton are all worse than every quarterback who failed to even get to a Super Bowl. Which, of course, is the sheerest nonsense.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:33 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,370,127 times
Interesting quote from Brady about 1:45 into the video.

"I know that I'm nothing without the guys I play with. Your role is very fragile. Your role really only is important if the other guys can come up with the plays."

https://www.facebook.com/tomvstime/v...7753818125026/

Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Thanks for sharing that, Ever! I'm older than many here, and on the team game thing when some are touting the number of SB's and rings a player has, don't care. Judge QB's by ability, not what the team has done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or