U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:14 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,925,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Congratulations to the Eagles it was a heck of a game.I just don't understand why they has to be property destroyed to celebrate,flipping cars ,trash cans through windows....why?
Damage was actually pretty minimal. A few drunk college kids will do that unfortunately. Don't believe the over-hyped, sensationalist media. All in all, it was mostly love, celebration and jubilation. The parade down Broad Street and up the Ben Franklin Parkway today was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed in my life.

In Philly, Tens of thousands of fans celebrated on Sunday night with 3 arrests, some property damage, and no one injured.

Meanwhile in Boston, a couple thousand riot on Sunday night with 6 arrests, some property damage, and 12 people injured.

In Philly, several million fans celebrated this morning/afternoon as the Eagles paraded up Broad Street and down the Ben Franklin Parkway with only one person injured and one person arrested.

...and Philadelphia fans get a bad rep? Why? The Philadelphia celebrations were much, much larger, with less arrests and injured.... this weird obsession with people around this country constantly painting Philadelphia fans in a negative light is just so strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Fly Eagles Fly! So proud of my team. I've only waited 27 years... my mom has waited 52 years. Can't wait for the off season to start.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 PM

15,388 posts, read 5,209,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Damage was actually pretty minimal. A few drunk college kids will do that unfortunately. Don't believe the over-hyped, sensationalist media. All in all, it was mostly love, celebration and jubilation. The parade down Broad Street and up the Ben Franklin Parkway today was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed in my life.

In Philly, Tens of thousands of fans celebrated on Sunday night with 3 arrests, some property damage, and no one injured.

Meanwhile in Boston, a couple thousand riot on Sunday night with 6 arrests, some property damage, and 12 people injured.

In Philly, several million fans celebrated this morning/afternoon as the Eagles paraded up Broad Street and down the Ben Franklin Parkway with only one person injured and one person arrested.

...and Philadelphia fans get a bad rep? Why? The Philadelphia celebrations were much, much larger, with less arrests and injured.... this weird obsession with people around this country constantly painting Philadelphia fans in a negative light is just so strange.
No, it's not. Eagle fans have brought it on themselves ,with a jail in the old stadium and throwing snowballs at Santa and I have been to multiple Eagle Giants games were cars have been torched and it was done by eagles fans. Look all teams have some crappy fans that make it bad for everyone.It was a great game ,enjoy!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. Eagle fans have brought it on themselves ,with a jail in the old stadium and throwing snowballs at Santa and I have been to multiple Eagle Giants games were cars have been torched and it was done by eagles fans. Look all teams have some crappy fans that make it bad for everyone.It was a great game ,enjoy!
Jail in OLD stadium. Throwing snowballs at Santa Claus was in the 60s. Itís time to let go of the past and move into the 21st century my friend.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 AM

6,777 posts, read 10,173,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Jail in OLD stadium. Throwing snowballs at Santa Claus was in the 60s. It’s time to let go of the past and move into the 21st century my friend.
Thank you. I just had the same discussion with someone this morning.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:28 PM

11,057 posts, read 3,756,162 times
Quote:

yeah I remember that, throwing snowballs at Santa.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:10 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,192,181 times
STOP -
It was the last game of a pathetic season - something like 2-12.
It wasn't even the original Santa. It was a VERY SKINNY last minute replacement.
The fans, who were at the game, were already pissed off, and this nonsense just added fuel to the fire.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: one sentence deleted

Old 02-12-2018, 08:37 AM

17,633 posts, read 8,845,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
STOP - With this pathetic nonsense.
It was the last game of a pathetic season - something like 2-12.
It wasn't even the original Santa. It was a VERY SKINNY last minute replacement.
The fans, who were at the game, were already pissed off, and this nonsense just added fuel to the fire.

Learn the bleeping facts before you continue with this ignorance.
I was at that game with my Dad, and Uncle. The vendors outside the stadium were selling "Joe Must Go!" buttons to protest the coach Joe Kuharich. There were planes flying over Franklin Field towing banners that said "Joe Must Go!". The Eagles were horrible, and had been for years. People were p*ssed. Yes, the drunk, skinny Santa got booed, and pelted with snowballs. I laughed my *ss off. No, I did not throw any.

That was in 1968. FIFTY years ago.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:22 AM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I was at that game with my Dad, and Uncle. The vendors outside the stadium were selling "Joe Must Go!" buttons to protest the coach Joe Kuharich. There were planes flying over Franklin Field towing banners that said "Joe Must Go!". The Eagles were horrible, and had been for years. People were p*ssed. Yes, the drunk, skinny Santa got booed, and pelted with snowballs. I laughed my *ss off. No, I did not throw any.

That was in 1968. FIFTY years ago.
A few additions on Pilot1's observations (good post BTW!)

After the Eagles won the NFL championship in 1960, they kind of spiraled into the bottom with Nick Skorich, who had been named head coach after Buck Shaw retired. Joe Kuharich was named head coach in 1963, and IMO a lot of NFL people were scratching their heads with this guy. He had been with the Redskins years ago and left with a losing record. His claim to fame (actually shame) was that he was the only coach to lead Notre Dame to a losing record.

His first trade and last trade when named Eagles head coach are memorable to Eagle fans. He got rid of future HOFer Sonny Jurgensen and got Norm Snead with def. back Claude Crabb thrown in on the deal. His last trade really torqued off Eagle fans. Timmy Brown was a 3 year pro bowler and he was traded straight up for Baltimore's Alvin Haymond.

1968 was a year Philly fans would never forget. They lost their first 11 games. Actually, probably what was the last straw was when Philly went to Pittsburgh and lost 6-3. One of my neighbors who passed recently grew up in Philly told me a story about that game. He said that Kuharich in the 4th quarter tried to get a first down on a 4th down and 10 at their own 10 yard line. They didn't get it, the Steelers kicked a field goal as their offense was as bad as Philly, with a quarterback by the name of Kent Nix. 6-3, Steelers.

By week 12 Philly finally won a game but by that time Buffalo was getting the inside track for the number one draft choice--O.J. Simpson. The Eagles finished 2-12, Buffalo 1-13. The final straw was the Eagles settled for Leroy Keyes as a #1 pick in the 1969 draft, who turned out to be a washout. Eagles owner Jerry Wolman sold the franchise to Len Tose who promised the Eagle faithful that Kuharich would be gone as his first act as owner.

And like John and Pilot! stated, there wasn't just some snowballs that were thrown at Santa, most likely several dozen. And I believe Joe Kuharich never was hired by another NFL team for any position.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 AM

17,633 posts, read 8,845,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And like John and Pilot! stated, there wasn't just some snowballs that were thrown at Santa, most likely several dozen. And I believe Joe Kuharich never was hired by another NFL team for any position.
All great info Double H. Thanks for the history. Not only did Santa get hit with many snowballs, the guys near me were making slush balls, as the temp had increased, and the snow in an amongst those cold, hard wooden bench seats was melting. Santa didn't have a chance.

My Dad talked about the Kuharich era the same way he talked about the 1964 Phillies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or