U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The greatest NFL dynasty of the SB era
Dallas Cowboys 1 3.57%
Green Bay Packers 1 3.57%
New England Patriots 18 64.29%
Pittsburgh Steelers 4 14.29%
San Francisco 49ers 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 AM

929 posts, read 299,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yet the Giants go from the 80's ,90's and the 2000's!
Then you have a very different definition than probably most football fans when it comes to the definition of "dynasty". No way in hell can I put the Giants of any era in that category. They are one of the top franchises between 1986 and present. No question. 4 Super Bowl wins, 5 appearances. The 86 Giants are one of the great one year teams ever. But there has to be sustained success with some sort of similar characters (coaches/players) to be called a dynasty. For four seasons between the Super Bowl victories of 1986 and 1990 for example, the Giants won ZERO playoff games and had ONE playoff appearance. Between 2007 and 2011, ironically, they duplicated those exact numbers in that four year span. After 1990 until the 2000 NFC Title game, they won again just ONE playoff game with just TWO appearances. Since 2000, the Giants have won playoff games in exactly TWO seasons only- granted of course, they made the most of those years which they did during the Coughlin regime. In no way do I think of any era of New York Giants football as being a dynasty compared to those 70s Dolphin teams, nor the Redskins under Gibbs, even with three different Super Bowl winning QBs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 07:55 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,969,447 times
I am a Pats fan, so the vote is obvious, but I wanted to point out that the past 17 years of success was due to three factors - the greatest QB of all time (a complete surprise), one of the greatest coaches of all time (he had not been successful with the Browns; 36 - 44) and one of the best owners in Bob Kraft. It really took all three of these. If any had been missing, the dynasty would have been much shorter. People overlook Kraft, but he was a key factor. He was seasons ticket holder from 1971 onward. At one point he bought the decrepit old stadium out of bankruptcy. There had been talk of the team moving to Jacksonville and St. Louis over the years. Kraft buys the team for the highest price ever paid for an NFL team at the time. Then hires Belichick, they draft Brady, and it all went from there.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,871,670 times
The Patriots Dynasty has done things we commonly see in the NBA in terms of championship game appearances and wins but never in the NFL.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 PM

6,507 posts, read 3,486,791 times
Call me biased, but the NFL has never seen nor maybe never again see the run the Patriots have been on. I've heard questions about is it one dynasty or two as there was a 10-year "drought" in Super Bowls. But as far as I'm concerned, having the same coach/QB, never having a losing season, getting to 12 of 17 possible AFC Championship games and 8 of 17 possible Super Bowls stamps this Pats team as by far the greatest NFL dynasty, and it isn't even close.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:12 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,140,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
For the record, my award goes to a team off the list: the Chicago Bears, a one year dynasty (1985) when they dominated the NFL like no other team ever did (I'm doing the Super Bowl Shuffle as I write; it's basically all we have left in the Windy City. )
What's the difference between Marty McFly and Chicago Bear fans?

Eventually, Marty McFly stopped going back to 1985.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:05 PM

5,764 posts, read 4,258,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
1985 Bears are the greatest one year team I have seen, with the 1984 49ers just a hair below. The Patriots aren't the best of these dynasties when it comes to selecting some of the franchise's best individual years. But for longevity, consistency, and the era they have done it in (much harder to sustain success), I have to give the nod to the Patriots. If I'm looking for dominance more often than not in an era, the 70's Steelers and 80's 49ers were the most fearsome.

I have to point out too, the Cowboys can be tied back to either the 70s or the first half of the 90s. Also, why Green Bay? If the Packers of the late 60s belong as a choice, then where are the 70s Dolphins? The Gibbs Redskins? Perhaps even the late 90s Broncos?
More to that point, more often than not, the team that won the Super Bowl during the 80's and 90's, usually won by a lopsided margin. None of the Patriots' wins were dominate, deceive wins. They kind of teeter between being another Bills team of the 90's to winning an impressive 8 Super Bowls - which 5 Super Bowls is impressive by one dynasty, I'm not undercutting that at all. But, simple fact is, those championships could've went either way. Heck, they even had a lot of AFC Championships that could've went either way. We haven't seen a dominate team win it all in a long time. Not in the fashion of those 80's and 90's ball clubs.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:14 PM

15,444 posts, read 5,277,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
More to that point, more often than not, the team that won the Super Bowl during the 80's and 90's, usually won by a lopsided margin. None of the Patriots' wins were dominate, deceive wins. They kind of teeter between being another Bills team of the 90's to winning an impressive 8 Super Bowls - which 5 Super Bowls is impressive by one dynasty, I'm not undercutting that at all. But, simple fact is, those championships could've went either way. Heck, they even had a lot of AFC Championships that could've went either way. We haven't seen a dominate team win it all in a long time. Not in the fashion of those 80's and 90's ball clubs.
The NFL and the fans like it that way,makes for a better game !

Old 02-16-2018, 07:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,387,643 times
Steelers: 4 championships in 6 years. That's incredible. Have my vote.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:30 PM

929 posts, read 299,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
More to that point, more often than not, the team that won the Super Bowl during the 80's and 90's, usually won by a lopsided margin.
True; and I would even say that about most of the Super Bowls of the 70s as well; but it so happens some scores were probably closer than they should have been; Pittsburgh's 35-31 over Dallas: Dallas recovered an on-side kick and scored a second TD in the final minutes, Pittsburgh's 16-6 win over Minnesota and Miami's 14-7 win over Washington weren't in doubt most of the game except because of that dumbfounding botched pass by the Dolphins kicker, Garo Yepremian and style of play by each of the winners.
I think at the end of the day we can all debate what a dynasty is and isn't. The Dolphins to this day are still the only team other than the infamous 90s Bills to appear in three straight Super Bowls. And if not for the iconic "Sea of Hands" play the next year in the divisional playoffs at Oakland, and a few months later the likes of Paul Warfield, Jim Kiick and Larry Csonka being signed by the World Football league, who knows what might have been? I don't see how they can't be a choice. And besides the notorious undefeated season which some say overstates how good the Dolphins really weren't, the next season's 12-2 championship team has been overshadowed, and ironically may be the most underrated greatest team of all-time. They were a machine by season's end!
The Redskins belong, because Gibbs was the head coach all along, much of that infamous o-line remained thru the years, and the Redskins were usually really good even in non-Super Bowl seasons.
The Raiders should be considered as well. Their Super Bowl wins were spread out as well, among two head coaches and quarterbacks (including a lightly regarded Tom Flores and Jim Plunkett with two of the their three triumphs!) But they too were almost always in the mix, and had to fight their way thru the most top heavy conference of any era- that being the AFC during the Dolphins' and Steelers' runs- and they always dominated in the big game once they reached it those three times over I believe, eight seasons.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 PM

16,537 posts, read 21,029,048 times
^^^^Lots of good points!^^^^

Without a doubt, I believe Miami could have taken it to 1975 regarding their Super Bowl run of the early 1970's. When the Memphis Southmen of the WFL signed Warfield, Kiick, and Csonka, no doubt it hurt the Dolphins offense. Keep in mind this--in those days players salaries for journeyman players were in the $30-$40 thousand dollar range. And those players worked off season jobs.

Dolphin owner Joe Robbie also had a reputation of being cheap. I didn't realize just how cheap he was until I saw on the Showtime Channel "Full Color Football-The History Of The American Football League." Runnin back Joe Auer told a story of head coach George Wilson sending Auer to a dry cleaners to pick up an order of team clothing. And Auer ran into a problem with the business regarding payment and had to wind up paying for the clothing out of his own pocket. And it took him a while to get repaid! Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or