U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The greatest NFL dynasty of the SB era
Dallas Cowboys 1 3.57%
Green Bay Packers 1 3.57%
New England Patriots 18 64.29%
Pittsburgh Steelers 4 14.29%
San Francisco 49ers 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:22 PM

5,753 posts, read 4,225,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Thank you ,you have actually help me. I am only counting 9 seasons for the Skins and 11 season for the Giants. I never said discount the Skins I said if you count them ,then you count the Giants all so.

Redskins have an * by the 82* and 87* season becuase them being the strike season's.
Only haters and losers discard those two seasons. Had the Giants won the Super Bowl in those seasons, you wouldn't be putting an * on those championships and you know it. If anything, those seasons mean more because there was such a fine line between success and failure in 1982 with fewer games played. The 'skins still had to play three playoff games despite an 8-1 record. So essentially, they were 11-1 heading into Super Bowl XVII. Odds are, the Redskins would've still gotten to the Super Bowl, because their team was that good in '82. They were even better in '83. And as for the '87 year, they played all of their scabs when other teams had their stars crossing the picket lines - namely the Cowboys. For Gibbs to coach his Redskins to a win over the Cowboys starters, with nothing but scabs, says a lot for him. And anybody who diminishes the efforts of the 'skins that year are just plain out punks and haters. Yes, the Redskins were not the best team in 1987, but they still won the Super Bowl, and no amount of *'s will ever take that fact away. Not even from a Giants fan who watched his pathetic Giants go 6-9 in '87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 PM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
I am more liable to put a * next to a Super Bowl champion that has a 9-7 regular season record than a strike season where there is no evidence that it affected the outcome of what ultimately happened in the playoffs (especially 1987, when 12 out of 16 games were played with the regulars and the strike was over with still over two months of the season remaining).

Old 02-19-2018, 03:23 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,961,579 times
Quote:
Thank you ,you have actually help me. I am only counting 9 seasons for the Skins and 11 season for the Giants. I never said discount the Skins I said if you count them ,then you count the Giants all so.

Redskins have an * by the 82* and 87* season becuase them being the strike season's.
I am helping you? Am I reading this right?

"I am only counting 9 seasons for the Skins and 11 season for the Giants."

Redskins>>>>1982 to 1991-----that is 10 seasons
Giants>>>>>2000 to 2011------that is 12 seasons

Redskins-10 years---won 107, lost 45
Giants-12 years---won 107, lost 85

The Giants lost 40 more games than the Redskins. 40.
Do the math. Then proofread your commentary.

Asterisks? Call up the NFL corporate offices in New York and state your case. Otherwise, you're flaming on this thread.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-19-2018 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM

15,387 posts, read 5,202,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I am helping you? Am I reading this right?

"I am only counting 9 seasons for the Skins and 11 season for the Giants."

Redskins>>>>1982 to 1991-----that is 10 seasons
Giants>>>>>2000 to 2011------that is 12 seasons

Redskins-10 years---won 107, lost 45
Giants-12 years---won 107, lost 85

The Giants lost 40 more games than the Redskins. 40.
Do the math. Then proofread your commentary.

Asterisks? Call up the NFL corporate offices in New York and state your case. Otherwise, you're flaming on this thread.
I understand and by no means am I trying to disrespect anyone .I( me ,myself) do not agree with anything in the strike shorten years pertain to,...to any team,Giants or Skins. You can't play a season with scabs and then think the results count.If you do,if the NFL does there is nothing I can do about it,I just don't agree with it and no one convince me of anything else.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I am more liable to put a * next to a Super Bowl champion that has a 9-7 regular season record than a strike season where there is no evidence that it affected the outcome of what ultimately happened in the playoffs (especially 1987, when 12 out of 16 games were played with the regulars and the strike was over with still over two months of the season remaining).
Exactly!

Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I understand and by no means am I trying to disrespect anyone .I( me ,myself) do not agree with anything in the strike shorten years pertain to,...to any team,Giants or Skins. You can't play a season with scabs and then think the results count.If you do,if the NFL does there is nothing I can do about it,I just don't agree with it and no one convince me of anything else.
Then you also don't agree with any of the Super Bowl winners prior to the expansion of the season and the league. Because, it comes down to the argument of the amount of games the teams had to play in those years to get into the playoffs and eventually the Super Bowl. So, all the teams playing seasons with 14 or fewer games should also have an * placed next to them, since they didn't play as many games nor face as many opponents.

You're just in denial of what would've happened anyway. The Redskins were coached by a legend, and those teams played their hearts out for Joe Gibbs. To put an * next to those teams is being very disingenuous.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:10 PM

15,387 posts, read 5,202,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Then you also don't agree with any of the Super Bowl winners prior to the expansion of the season and the league. Because, it comes down to the argument of the amount of games the teams had to play in those years to get into the playoffs and eventually the Super Bowl. So, all the teams playing seasons with 14 or fewer games should also have an * placed next to them, since they didn't play as many games nor face as many opponents.

You're just in denial of what would've happened anyway. The Redskins were coached by a legend, and those teams played their hearts out for Joe Gibbs. To put an * next to those teams is being very disingenuous.
No doubt , Joe Gibbs is a legend best coach ever at adjustments during a game and one of the nicest men you'll ever want to meet,I was lucky enough through my job to have met him a few times.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-20-2018 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: let's back on topic--which IS--the poll regarding the five clubs.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,682,796 times
Miami Dolphins (1970-1979) 112-44-1 with 3 straight super bowl appearances which they won 2 and 5 division titles within the decade.

They were 44-6-1 with those 3 straight SB appearances.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
No doubt , Joe Gibbs is a legend best coach ever at adjustments during a game and one of the nicest men you'll ever want to meet,I was lucky enough through my job to have met him a few times.
I have never gotten to meet the man, and he doesn't live too terribly far from me. I have told my wife that out of anybody who has ever been associated with the Redskins, meeting Joe Gibbs would be my all time dream. I look up to the man as more than a coach, as an outstanding leader, motivator, and man of God. I know he is getting up there in age, I just hope I have my chance before he bids this world a good'day!

Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 AM

16,521 posts, read 20,961,579 times
Speaking of Joe Gibbs, the NFL Channel broadcast the NFL Films bio on Gibbs--"Joe Gibbs- A Football Life" a few days ago. They have done a superb job on this series. Their first two years series have been available through Amazon for some time. Season 3 has not been available yet. Not sure why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or