Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The greatest NFL dynasty of the SB era
Dallas Cowboys 1 3.57%
Green Bay Packers 1 3.57%
New England Patriots 18 64.29%
Pittsburgh Steelers 4 14.29%
San Francisco 49ers 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,602,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I have never gotten to meet the man, and he doesn't live too terribly far from me. I have told my wife that out of anybody who has ever been associated with the Redskins, meeting Joe Gibbs would be my all time dream. I look up to the man as more than a coach, as an outstanding leader, motivator, and man of God. I know he is getting up there in age, I just hope I have my chance before he bids this world a good'day!
Totally agree on Joe Gibbs. He's one of those sensible, mature people -- who as a coach -- brought a team up out of seemingly nowhere and created miracles, in my opinion. Another guy I saw along the same light was Chuck Noll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM

18,204 posts, read 25,818,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Steelers: 4 championships in 6 years. That's incredible. Have my vote.
Good post by Colt regarding Noll--speaking of which----

When Chuck Noll took over as head coach, he took over a club that hadn't won an NFL Championship--ever! Fortunately for him he worked for an owner who was highly thought of among his peers and that would be Art Rooney.

Noll slowly and methodically built a club with his top picks who eventually went into the Pro Football HOF; players like Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, Jack Lambert, and several others. He also organized a top quality scouting department. Like Everwinter said, their championship run was incredible. Through the Rooneys they've given head coaches time to get their programs going. Over the past 50 years they have only had 3 head coaches; Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,602,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

When Chuck Noll took over as head coach, he took over a club that hadn't won an NFL Championship--ever! Fortunately for him he worked for an owner who was highly thought of among his peers and that would be Art Rooney.

Noll slowly and methodically built a club with his top picks who eventually went into the Pro Football HOF; players like Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, Jack Lambert, and several others. He also organized a top quality scouting department. Like Everwinter said, their championship run was incredible. Through the Rooneys they've given head coaches time to get their programs going. Over the past 50 years they have only had 3 head coaches; Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin.
Incredible. What are the odds?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM

939 posts, read 503,985 times
Most franchises I believe, have been thru at least three head coaches this decade alone.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I have never gotten to meet the man, and he doesn't live too terribly far from me. I have told my wife that out of anybody who has ever been associated with the Redskins, meeting Joe Gibbs would be my all time dream. I look up to the man as more than a coach, as an outstanding leader, motivator, and man of God. I know he is getting up there in age, I just hope I have my chance before he bids this world a good'day!
I did meet Joe Jacoby once in Virginia a few years after he retired. Seemed like a good dude. As a Fins fan however, I couldn't muster the strength that tough loss in Super Bowl 17 when I was a kid.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Miami Dolphins (1970-1979) 112-44-1 with 3 straight super bowl appearances which they won 2 and 5 division titles within the decade.

They were 44-6-1 with those 3 straight SB appearances.
I think the 73 championship team is one of the five or so greatest Super Bowl winning teams ever. So much hoopla over the 72 undefeated version. Popping champagne bottles, data people like to use to support the claim they were overrated vs that much of that streak was accomplished with a back up QB and having to win at Pittsburgh to make the Super Bowl. However one's opinion, I still believe in the annals of history, if the 72 Dolphins are overrated, the 73 Dolphins are vastly underrated.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:13 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Championship? Hell, before 1972 the Steelers hadn't even won a playoff game. Ever. They'd never won a division. The closest they'd come is going 8-4 (their best ever record from their inception thru 1971) and tying the Eagles for the Eastern Division title in 1947. Back in those days, division ties were broken by a playoff. The Eagles won that playoff, 21-0. So, prior to 1972, the Steelers had never even scored a postseason point!

Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 PM

18,204 posts, read 25,818,782 times
I was keeping in line with the title of the thread--"Modern Era-NFL Dynasty Championship." Yes, I was aware of the 1947 playoff game. Back then, there was no such thing as tie breakers in regards to division winners. If the season ended with two teams tied for first, you played a divisional playoff that next week and of course the championship would be pushed back a week. Doesn't happen often, but happens. In fact, in 1950 it happened again with the Los Angeles Rams and the Cleveland Browns.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,606,218 times
I guess on second thought the 70's Steelers have to be pretty close to the Patriots as well. I still give the nod to the Patriots because their dynasty has lasted 15+ years and will probably last to 20 years. And they have countless AFC Championship game appearances during their run. But 4 Super Bowl titles in 6 years is probably something we won't see again or at least for a very long time.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,309,388 times
You fail to mention the Buffalo Bills and the The Miami Dolphins. And... the Dolphins eclipsed what the 85' Bears did by being the only undefeated team in history (granted they had the easiest(statistically speaking) schedule in history).

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-25-2018 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: one sentence deleted -flaming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football