U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,044,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'm so sick of hearing about this year's QB crop. The top 4 are good, but none of them are slam dunks. Allen fell way off this past season, Rosen's a headcase whose long-term desire is being questioned, Darnold is a turnover machine, and Mayfield's short and at times seems to act like he's not the brightest crayon in the box. The comparisons to the famed Class of '83 are immature IMNSHO.

My bet is 1 of those 4 is a HOF contender, another one is a Pro Bowler, and the other two are marginal starters/career backups. Not great odds.
I agree with you and I think you are even being overly generous on your long term predictions....it would be surprising if any of this crop is a HOF contender. Pro Bowler? maybe especially these days when so many players turn down the spot and ultimately you get about 5-6 QB's per Conference getting the label each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 12:31 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
[quote=bluescreen73;51568536]I'm so sick of hearing about this year's QB crop. The top 4 are good, but none of them are slam dunks. Allen fell way off this past season, Rosen's a headcase whose long-term desire is being questioned, Darnold is a turnover machine, and Mayfield's short and at times seems to act like he's not the brightest crayon in the box. The comparisons to the famed Class of '83 are immature IMNSHO.

My bet is 1 of those 4 is a HOF contender, another one is a Pro Bowler, and the other two are marginal starters/career backups. Not great odds.[/quote]

My HOF contender is Sam Darnold, his only knock is turnovers which IMO can easily be rectified, my Pro Bowler will be Josh Rosen, with the other two as marginal players, actually, I think Mayfield will be ok, Allen is the one I have questions on.

As far as natural talent, Allen should be the best player. Man his arm strength is off the charts, I just question whether he can put the ball where it needs to be on a consistent basis.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 PM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
The NFL Draft has maybe exceeded the Heisman Trophy chase as the most overhyped sport discussion by the media. Wake me when it's over. Then there will be worthwhile discussion. "Mock draft" Bleh. Especially when these "experts" have produced a different one for each day of the week it seems. And nothing like the pub received for some just decent college QB who has a better chance of being the next Brock Osweiller than Aaron Rodgers.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
For some reason I find Allen to be the best of the crop. As a giants fan, I want nothing to do with Rosen or that second coming of Jonny manziel, .... Baker Mayfield.....

Id love them to take Allen or Darnold.
Also a Giants fan, I am pretty much with you on Darnold. I dont know if I am sold on any of them. I dont see Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck here...

Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Also a Giants fan, I am pretty much with you on Darnold. I dont know if I am sold on any of them. I dont see Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck here...
Nobody thought much of Goff and Wentz either but they have both turned out pretty good. On the other hand, Winston and Marriota were both highly regarded coming out and both have pretty much been, meh, up to this point. Never know what you are going to get. And then of course, throw in the fact that their is probably at least a 50% chance that the best QB of this draft is actually one taken in the second round or beyond like a Jimmy G, Carr, Dak, Wilson, Cousins, Brees or Brady.

I think the top five QBs coming out, with the possible exception of Allen, all have pretty high floors. Question is will they reach their ceilings?

Old 04-13-2018, 06:50 AM

15,388 posts, read 5,209,192 times
Mel Kiper has changed his mind on the Giants pick three time now. All so a Giants fan and I am not a fan of any of these QB's .If Barkley is there at #2 you take him but if not I trade back and fix the team. Maybe take a QB in a later round but there a some good players down deeper in this draft and the Giants need help ,everywhere.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,161 times
As mentioned earlier, Darnold's turnovers can be corrected. In a lot of cases he had just one hand on the ball while trying to scramble and make yardage. He will be taught to tuck that ball in. Plus if the Browns truly keep him on the bench for a year to learn, then Darnold has the most upside.

Allen, 56.2% completion is not good. Some will say it's because of his WR's in college. The track record for quarterbacks in the NFL with low college completion percentages isn't great, especially for those below the 58 percent threshold. Over the past few months he has improved his throwing technique, shorting his stride and other tweaks. So with NFL pro WR's he may improve, but history shows otherwise. Allen may be more ready to start than Darnold if needed.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
As mentioned earlier, Darnold's turnovers can be corrected. In a lot of cases he had just one hand on the ball while trying to scramble and make yardage. He will be taught to tuck that ball in. Plus if the Browns truly keep him on the bench for a year to learn, then Darnold has the most upside.

Allen, 56.2% completion is not good. Some will say it's because of his WR's in college. The track record for quarterbacks in the NFL with low college completion percentages isn't great, especially for those below the 58 percent threshold. Over the past few months he has improved his throwing technique, shorting his stride and other tweaks. So with NFL pro WR's he may improve, but history shows otherwise. Allen may be more ready to start than Darnold if needed.

If you got to see all of Allen's passes on his pro day, he over threw on a lot of his passes.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:22 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Saints head coach Sean Payton went on the record saying there's no Carson Wentz or Andrew Luck in this year's QB class, and it wouldn't surprise him at all if only 1 of the top 4 QB prospects (Darnold) was even in the league 4-5 years from now.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:38 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times
I find Mock Drafts Entertaining. Not.
I have more fun trying to predict the winners of week 1 NOW not knowing who is going to be on the team.
I have more fun thinking about who I would draft if I were the GM....

And successful football directors, like Bilecheck do not car about mock drafts, but people who work for teams like , say Jerry Jones, the Browns or MY FINZ are going to use them as a template for who to draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football