Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,606,667 times

Advertisements

I saw that Mel Kiper had Josh Allen as his number 1 quarterback in the draft going to the Browns. IMO, that totally discredits him as an analyst. I saw Josh Allen's pro day, I would say anything short he looked pretty good, but most of the long passes were over thrown or under thrown where the receivers had to wait on the ball.

He clearly has great arm strength, but so did JaMarcus Russell. His passing accuracy pct. in college wasn't that great, and it wont get any easier in the pros.

I see him as a mid 1st rounder as far as risk goes, but then who am I??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,750,280 times
sometimes an average college QB does well in the NFL, sometimes a good college QB fails in the NFL. its going to depend on what this guys work ethic is, how well he is coached, and the team built around him.

as for where this guy goes, we shall see. remember the pro day and the combine is not just about a player showing off their skills, but also showing off how they deal with being coached. an average player willing to learn is sometimes better than a top player who thinks they are perfect out of the box.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:08 AM

14,312 posts, read 14,570,852 times
There have been QB's saying they don't need to be coached, but all players need to be coached. Matt Stafford is known for saying he did not think a passing coach would be beneficial to him. This what some years back, don't know if he ever backed off that statement.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,595,310 times
Both Stafford and Ryan had completion percentages in college that were below 60%. They both ended up improving a lot in the NFL.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 PM

8,602 posts, read 14,823,764 times
I'm so sick of hearing about this year's QB crop. The top 4 are good, but none of them are slam dunks. Allen fell way off this past season, Rosen's a headcase whose long-term desire is being questioned, Darnold is a turnover machine, and Mayfield's short and at times seems to act like he's not the brightest crayon in the box. The comparisons to the famed Class of '83 are immature IMNSHO.

My bet is 1 of those 4 is a HOF contender, another one is a Pro Bowler, and the other two are marginal starters/career backups. Not great odds.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:50 AM

6,402 posts, read 8,953,766 times
Kiper isn't the only one predicting Allen going first overall. Allen, Darnold and Rosen appear to be interchangeable among most analysts. It's flipping a coin not a science. Kiper does not gain or lose credibility predicting Allen being selected first.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:03 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,591,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'm so sick of hearing about this year's QB crop. The top 4 are good, but none of them are slam dunks. Allen fell way off this past season, Rosen's a headcase whose long-term desire is being questioned, Darnold is a turnover machine, and Mayfield's short and at times seems to act like he's not the brightest crayon in the box. The comparisons to the famed Class of '83 are immature IMNSHO.

My bet is 1 of those 4 is a HOF contender, another one is a Pro Bowler, and the other two are marginal starters/career backups. Not great odds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Kiper isn't the only one predicting Allen going first overall. Allen, Darnold and Rosen appear to be interchangeable among most analysts. It's flipping a coin not a science. Kiper does not gain or lose credibility predicting Allen being selected first.
I have to agree with this. No real standouts among them.

They're basically just prospects; very good in college if not spectacular, but totally unknown regarding professional possibilities.

Their real value will shake out later in actual NFL on-field situations and battles.

The same could be said about every other position out there.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:11 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,606,667 times
I have noticed that there is growing momentum in Allen being the number one overall pick. I personally don't see him being great, just another strong arm.

If he does go number one, I truly hope he makes it. I feel bad for the Browns with their recent choices at quarterback.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:21 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,996,130 times
For some reason I find Allen to be the best of the crop. As a giants fan, I want nothing to do with Rosen or that second coming of Jonny manziel, .... Baker Mayfield.....

I’d love them to take Allen or Darnold.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:20 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,434,720 times
I believe the issue with quarterbacks coming out of college tends to be 90% mental and 10% ability. There are a lot of quarterbacks who have fantastic careers in college, but they don't have the mental capacity to adjust to the NFL. It is such a drastic change for most quarterbacks that I don't believe they truly understand how higher the level is in the pro league.

It's kind of like this. I've heard a lot of employers say they'd rather hire a C-average student than an A-average student, because often, the C student has had to work hard to earn that C where as the A student didn't work as hard. So, that work ethic has already been established.

Now saying the great college football quarterbacks didn't work hard to get where they are at, but probably don't realize the tremendous effort it takes to be a great NFL quarterback, where as the average college guys have had to work hard to maintain their college career, and is already used to working tremendously hard, so that often translates into the NFL.

Most certainly, that is not going to be the answer for every single quarterback coming out of college, so don't get too huffy over that comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football