U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will end up being the best QB of the 2018 draft?
Baker Mayfield 2 8.00%
Sam Darnold 6 24.00%
Josh Rosen 2 8.00%
Lamar Jackson 0 0%
Josh Allen 10 40.00%
Mason Rudolph 4 16.00%
OtherMike White,Kyle Lauletta, Luke Falk etc.) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 PM

929 posts, read 296,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Many teams are said to be high on Mayfield. Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Broncos. It's not just the Dolphins. But that is kind of besides the point anyway. You should never believe what you hear about a team and what QB they like.
It was really just a tongue n' cheek statement in speaking to the Dolphins boneheaded player personnel moves for the last 20 years or so. Who ever is or isn't interested in Mayfield, my belief is that he does not have the tools to succeed as a starting QB in the NFL: another position perhaps. Teams moving up a few spots in the draft while giving up all sorts of draft picks including 1st rounders, are being reckless and irrational imo. The next Case Keenum of last season is probably as likely to fall in your lap at a drastic fraction of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
This class is not likely to be as good as the '83 class or even the '04 class in terms of HOF QBs. But in terms of prospects it's likely better than both those classes already if we assume what we hear about the'18 class is true: that we should see 3 QBs in the top 5-6 picks and and as many as six in the first round overall. As great as the '83 class was only two QBs were taken in the top 10. Six QBs taken in the first round overall but most of them did not go high. And one of them was a total bust. Kelly wasn't taken till the 14th pick which wasn't even the Bills first pick in that draft. And Marino of course fell all the way to 27.

The 1999 draft could be said to have the most talented prospects of all drafts to date. It of course produced only one franchise QB in Donovan McNabb, but QBs went 1,2,3 in that draft. And overall five QBs were taken within the first 12 picks.

I'd be wary of the '18 draft class actually being good long term simply because it seems when a class is thought to be good they end up not being that great. But then again, the 1999 draft class might be the only real example of that.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
The next Case Keenum of last season is probably as likely to fall in your lap at a drastic fraction of the cost.
That's true. But ultimate, do teams want a Case Keenum? They want him as a plan B. But not plan A. That's why Case was jettisoned from the Vikings. And why the Broncos are said to still be taking a QB this year at #5 should the one they like still be on the board.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:42 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,161 times
Allen has a lot of the tangibles that the Browns are looking for. For a while they were locked onto Darnold, but the trade-winds seem to be blowing now for Allen.

One article I read today was how much Hue Jackson thought that hand size was very important especially when playing in the AFC North (rain, snow, etc...). Allen's hands measured the largest of the top 5 QB's. Mayfield's the smallest.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Browns CAN NOT TAKE ALLEN. I mean they can. But man, I just can't see them taking Allen over Darnold. It does feel like a Browns thing to do. I just feel like with all their bad picks over the years, they got to go with the safest pick at QB and that has to be Darnold. They can't risk going after a guy like Allen or Mayfield.

EJ Manuel had big hands. I'm sure Lynch and Oz have big hands as well.

I believe Mayfield has 9 1/4 which is pretty much the bare minimum you want your QB to have. I think that is the same has Tannehill. Mayfield also recorded a top 5 (in history) ball velocity despite having smaller hands for a QB. That might mean it won't be an issue.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:11 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,370,412 times
Mayfield just doesn’t show me that he has the maturity. Any of these QB’s that come out with his cockiness and brash attitude end up being bombs ( see Johnny Manziel as a perfect example). Couple that with his height ( only 6’1”), and I just don’t see him being successful.

In addition, I’ve read a lot online that the Jets are interested in him. If the Jets take him he might as well save his brain cells and just not play football.

I voted for Josh Allen, it was between him and Sam Darnold. I went with Allen because I just think he is more grounded and has the height (6’5”) plus he has a lot to prove since he ended up at Wyoming because none of the other schools were not that interested in him.

Regardless it will be fun to see who ends up where.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:03 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Mayfield just doesn’t show me that he has the maturity. Any of these QB’s that come out with his cockiness and brash attitude end up being bombs ( see Johnny Manziel as a perfect example). Couple that with his height ( only 6’1”), and I just don’t see him being successful.

In addition, I’ve read a lot online that the Jets are interested in him. If the Jets take him he might as well save his brain cells and just not play football.

I voted for Josh Allen, it was between him and Sam Darnold. I went with Allen because I just think he is more grounded and has the height (6’5”) plus he has a lot to prove since he ended up at Wyoming because none of the other schools were not that interested in him.

Regardless it will be fun to see who ends up where.
I like Mayfield for his spirit and playmaking and think he will do well with an more established team....possibly the Jets or Bronco's (just missing a few key pieces). As a Brown's fan, I wouldn't compare Mayfield to Manziel, except for their similar style of play. (Smaller, mobile QB). Mayfield seems determined NOT to be another Johnny Football.

The Brown's should stick with the big guys like Allen or Darnold in the AFC North. The mobile QB's like JF or RG3 didn't work out well with the Browns strategy.

Wherever Mayfield lands, if he wants to succeed in the NFL, he will need to find the best veteran player on the team and attach himself to that player and learn everything he can about how to make it in the NFL.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Surprised at the lack of love for Rosen. The majority of Bills fans want Rosen.

Greg Cosell is pretty high on Mayfield. I think Cosell is a decent analysis of QB talent. He has Rosen as his number one guy. Mayfield I think #2. Cosell makes a point of saying that Mayfield is more comfortable throwing from the pocket than people realize. He has the ability to make reactionary plays and improvise but he is at his best playing in the pocket and in rhythm. That's completely opposite of Manziel.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,370,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I like Mayfield for his spirit and playmaking and think he will do well with an more established team....possibly the Jets or Bronco's (just missing a few key pieces). As a Brown's fan, I wouldn't compare Mayfield to Manziel, except for their similar style of play. (Smaller, mobile QB). Mayfield seems determined NOT to be another Johnny Football.

The Brown's should stick with the big guys like Allen or Darnold in the AFC North. The mobile QB's like JF or RG3 didn't work out well with the Browns strategy.

Wherever Mayfield lands, if he wants to succeed in the NFL, he will need to find the best veteran player on the team and attach himself to that player and learn everything he can about how to make it in the NFL.

Then keep him far away from the Jets. He will just be another QB heralded as a savior only to bomb ( Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Browning Nagle).

If you are correct then he should definitely go to Denver. More stable franchise and organization

Old 04-24-2018, 10:12 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
I actually think Mason Rudolph & Sam Darnold end up having the best careers.

Josh Rosen looks like a total bust to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football