U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will end up being the best QB of the 2018 draft?
Baker Mayfield 2 8.00%
Sam Darnold 6 24.00%
Josh Rosen 2 8.00%
Lamar Jackson 0 0%
Josh Allen 10 40.00%
Mason Rudolph 4 16.00%
OtherMike White,Kyle Lauletta, Luke Falk etc.) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:16 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I do! Man, ya had to wonder what Frisco was thinking by even drafting him. For his first two years, he wasn't even backing up John Brodie, he was carrying the clipboard for Dick Nolan as George Mira was the backup. Spurrier didn't turn a tap for several years and finally in 1973 he got some playing time as John Brodie was breaking down and '73 was Brodies last season. So what does Frisco do? Draft a guy by the name of Tom Owens, then wound up starting him in the 1974 season.

Needless to say putting Steve on the expansion list for Tampa Bay for 1976 didn't do him any favors. Now here is a little known trivia fact--Spurrier was among the quarterbacks on the Bronco '77 squad that went to SB-XII. The backups were Norris Weese and Craig Penrose with Craig Morton starting. Spurrier was waived. I remember those 1977 exhibition games--I don't remember Steve even getting in a game for crying out loud! It had to be real frustrating to be Steve Spurrier as he had a great college career.

I have a laundry list of NFL players who deserved a better fate. Steve Spurrier was one of them.

I remember one game against the Rams in which he played and the 49ers won!! That was the game that Tom Dempsy's club foot hit Ralph McGil's helmet ans he tried to block a field goal. It gave McGill a concussion. In fact if I remember correctly, the helmet was dented.

I still remember Steve Spurrier on the cover of Sports Illustrated as the 49ers hope for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:49 PM

2,785 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Use to say Rosen, now I'm leaning towards Allen. He also will benefit from playing in the AFC.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:20 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Bumping this thread now that the regular season has finished for these rookies.

My Initial Pre-Draft Ranking in the OP:

1.Mayfield
2.Darnold
3.Rosen
4.Jackson
5.Anyone not name Josh Allen

My Current Rankings
1.Mayfield
2.Josh Allen (it's close between him and Darnold but I'll go Allen. Homer maybe but i'll explain when I have more time)
3.Darnold
4.Jackson
5.Rosen

I was spot on with Mayfield as the #1. I think pretty accurate with Darnold who's floor looks like Matt Stafford to me, and way off on Allen. The book on Allen was great athlete, big arm, accuracy issues. Well he checks the box on all three of those but I think his athleticism was greatly underrated if that is even possible. The guy has two highlight reel plays I have literally never seen a QB make before. First, the hurdle over Anthony Barr against the Vikings. Most of you have probably seen that play. Second was the juke move put on Kiko Alonso in the Miami game and subsequent use of Kiko as a lead blocker on the play.I'll see if I can post both of the plays in this thread later.

And unlike Jackson, Allen isn't running too much or running at the expense of developing his passing game long term. He's just been incredibly efficient at running, particularly in his last six games since coming back from the injury and bye week. The injury by the way was from a hit in the pocket. I've actually been very pleased with how well and early Allen slides and gives himself up on the majority of his scrambles. Allen is still chucking the ball 30 plus times a game while being deadly with his legs. Jackson in comparison has failed to throw the ball more than 25 times in any of his seven starts.

I'm not sure we have ever seen a QB in a six game span be as prolific and as efficient with his legs than Josh Allen was in the six games to close out this season. Maybe that is hyperbole. Maybe Mike Vick was. Or RGIII? But I really don't know. I'll have to research it.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:46 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I actually think Mason Rudolph & Sam Darnold end up having the best careers.

Josh Rosen looks like a total bust to me

Ehhh………...lets see what happens year 2 for Darnold & Rosen. Both were up and down. And where the hell is Rudolph playing now, Europe??

Old 04-27-2019, 12:23 AM

AFC East just got a lot more exciting.

Allen, Darnold and Rosen all rivals in the division now. Not sure when Rosen will see a start with Fitzpatrick in Miami but hope it is soon even though I still love Fitz.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:01 AM

64 posts, read 13,540 times
Rosen could be a complete bust, and Miami still made probably their first smart transaction since the Don Shula reign. They gave up very little and it beats forever hoping your in position to draft an Andrew Luck. Or, over-reaching/overpaying/over-compensating for a marginal college prospect who more often than not is a future bust.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:23 AM

Even with Rosen and Fitzpatrick, I'm not sure how good the Dolphins are going to be bad. A little bit of me will feel sad for Rosen if he ends up starting half the games next year and Miami ends up picking number one again and he's supplanted by a number one overall pick again next April by the name of Tua.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football