Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will end up being the best QB of the 2018 draft?
Baker Mayfield 2 8.00%
Sam Darnold 6 24.00%
Josh Rosen 2 8.00%
Lamar Jackson 0 0%
Josh Allen 10 40.00%
Mason Rudolph 4 16.00%
OtherMike White,Kyle Lauletta, Luke Falk etc.) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:24 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times

Advertisements

The draft is less than a week away CDer's. Some of us see this draft as over hyped with the talk of all the potentially great QBs it may provide to the NFL. Others, myself as a Bills fan, are hoping it certainly lives up to that hype. I want to know, who do you predict will be the best QB coming out of this draft? And give me your top 5.

1. Baker Mayfield- Love his "it" factor. Also, he might be the most accurate passer in the draft. Ceiling is Drew Brees with more mobility. Floor is Doug Flutie. I don't buy the comparisons to Johnny Football. This kid had to work for everything he ever earned. Walked on to two different top notch football programs whereas Johnny Football was the top QB prospect coming out of high school.

2. Sam Darnold- His floor is Jay Cutler. His ceiling is Brett Favre. He's likely Matt Stafford. Has the least bust potential. Unlike Jay, he'll represent a franchise well on and off the field and in the media.

3. Josh Rosen- This guy is your prototypical stand in the pocket and deliver the football QB a la Tom Brady, the Manning Brothers, Phillip Rivers. I'm not really worried about his well to do up bringing or his character concerns. I think those are overblown. I am cautious though about his shoulder injury his sophomore year and his two concussions suffered last season. Rosen's floor could be Sam Bradford if he is derailed by injuries. If he can stay healthy, his ceiling is any one of the four aforementioned QB's.

4. Lamar Jackson- Floor Tyrod Taylor. Ceiling DeShaun Watson. Assuming what we saw from Watson briefly in 2017 is similar to what we will see from Watson again in 2018. He is the same height and weight as Andy Dalton but he carries that weight differently. I'd be a little concerned about potential injury issues down the road.

5. Any one of the lesser known QBs strating with Rudloph and going on down the line. One of these guys will have a good chance of probably actually ending up as the best or second best QB in this draft a la Derrick Carr, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott and everyone's favorite, Tom Brady. Just don't know which one that will be.

You'll notice that I left one big name out of my top 5. A player that has been said to be a possible target and fit for my Bills. I think Allen has a good head on his shoulders. Like Darnold, he'll represent your franchise well in the locker room, on the field and in the media. I'm just scared as heck that he's a slightly shorter and faster version of Brock Ozweisler than he is Big Ben or Carson Wentz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 AM

939 posts, read 505,804 times
"Best" is a relative term. I don't think any will be very good, but nobody knows for sure. I'm just tired of this ridiculous overreach by teams in a desperate off chance that the guy will be the next Brady or Montana, whom of course neither were close to 1st round picks. I'll say Josh Allen on a hunch. I think Mayfield is a total bust. Add to it, the Dolphins are high on him. That alone should tell you the guy is a waste of a first round pick.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
At this point I seriously wouldn't hang my hopes & dreams on any one of these newbies, not even for the long haul. This crop of QBs seems to represent a lesser tier than some would imagine. Too many variables with each one, and obviously none of them are anywhere close to the Elway, Kelly, Marino crop of 1983.

However, here goes...

I'd have to put all my imagination on one guy: Sam Darnold.

Why, you ask?

Darn it! For me it's because he's a west coast guy () and he always gave it the old college try; he seems to be a blue collar worker... and seems to try really hard to be good; no silver spoon in mouth, no diva attitude. He feels more like a good story to me. Darnold may just be the one to still be standing after all the dust settles, and will have made more of a name for himself well into the future.

Top 5? Whew ()...

1. Sam Darnold
2. Josh Allen (something about this guy as well)
3. Josh Rosen
4. Baker Mayfield
5. Lamar Jackson

Still, anyone of the above could totally disappear after one or two seasons...

Old 04-22-2018, 10:19 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
my issue with college quarterbacks is that all to often they do well in college, but when they turn pro, they start to falter for the most part, at least in their first couple of seasons. some get better after that, some get worse.

i think what we will find is that none of the guys listed will be considered the best of the group. it will be someone taken in the fourth or fifth round, probably from a small school that has been overlooked by everyone at that point, and will be drafted as a solid back up for an aging starter.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
my issue with college quarterbacks is that all to often they do well in college, but when they turn pro, they start to falter for the most part, at least in their first couple of seasons. some get better after that, some get worse.

i think what we will find is that none of the guys listed will be considered the best of the group. it will be someone taken in the fourth or fifth round, probably from a small school that has been overlooked by everyone at that point, and will be drafted as a solid back up for an aging starter.
The real truth may be just as you state, rbohm.

This current crop of QBs leaves much to be desired. All of the hype which has been drummed up for this group has been an overreach at best -- based on its available talent. Even the "expert" mock drafts are showing a major waffling and uncertainty with what is being offered out of the college ranks.

Last edited by Colt AZ; 04-22-2018 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 03:45 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
Other for sure. QB is notoriously a crap shoot with some low pick becoming great. These guys at the top don’t seem all that great. Time will tell of course.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I think Mayfield is a total bust. Add to it, the Dolphins are high on him. That alone should tell you the guy is a waste of a first round pick.
Many teams are said to be high on Mayfield. Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Broncos. It's not just the Dolphins. But that is kind of besides the point anyway. You should never believe what you hear about a team and what QB they like.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Even the "expert" mock drafts are showing a major waffling and uncertainty with what is being offered out of the college ranks.
I think that waffling has more to do with the fact that their are four QBs that all look like top 10 picks but at the same time there is no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning in this draft. But for the most part I don't see any of these four guys any worst a prospect as Goff or Wentz two years ago. Just because there's not Peyton or Luck doesn't necessarily mean these guys are not good prospects. Goff and Wentz certainly were not in the Luck or Peyton category either.

If Rosen, Mayfield and Allen were not in this draft, there would be a consensus of Darnold being the legit #1 prospect. But that wouldn't make him any better despite the fact that the experts then wouldn't have anything to waffle on.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM

I'm glad to see the majority of people like Josh Allen so far. Hope he pans out if the Bills take him.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm glad to see the majority of people like Josh Allen so far. Hope he pans out if the Bills take him.
Yep. I can't put my finger on what it is about the guy, but he puts out a good vibe. Here's hoping for the best out of him, as well as this year's draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football