U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About The Possible elimination of Kickoffs In Football
Against the elimination of kickoffs in football 28 80.00%
Support the elimination of kickoffs in football 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2018, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,117,251 times
Reputation: 5964

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
This debate probably wouldn't exist at all unless the NFL was considering a change, and they're doing so because of concussion concerns.
I know the debate exists because there is a real possibility of a change. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,241,502 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Okay, from what I just read, fair caught anywhere INSIDE the 25.

The kicking team could decide that a start at the 25 wouldn't be such a bad thing.

But, then... why kick the ball at all? Why not just allow the other team to just have the ball at their 25?

That way nobody runs... nobody tackles... nobody gets hit... nobody falls...

NOBODY gets hurt?
Well, as I alluded to earlier, you have to keep kick-offs because of the possibility of using the onside kick attempt. You do away with kick-offs, you do away with the onside kick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 PM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,133,277 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, as I alluded to earlier, you have to keep kick-offs because of the possibility of using the onside kick attempt. You do away with kick-offs, you do away with the onside kick.
Hopefully, the NFL would understand the importance of at least leaving the onside kick; it should remain in place in order to allow a way for a team to play catch-up. However, if regular kick-offs are the main reason for concussions, then why have them otherwise?

An automatic placement at the 25 would alleviate that particular concern, although there would still be the other form of kick: the punt! It seems that the NFL would still have concerns there as well.

Personally, I don't believe that kick-offs can be totally eliminated, because it takes away from the overall excitement of the game, but if concussions are the product of those, then something has to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Various
1,117 posts, read 394,731 times
Reputation: 968
Keep kick off, eliminate touch back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,803 posts, read 6,588,431 times
Reputation: 4177
According to NBC Sports, the kickoff will now be more of a "punt" play.

Quote:
Coverage teams would lose the 5-yard head start they previously had; five players required to align on each side of the kicker; elimination of all wedge blocks, including two-man double teams; eight of the 11 return team members would line up within 15 yards of the restraining line, with blocking prohibited within those 15 yards; and elimination of pre-kick motion.

Onside kick rules would remain mostly the same.
Adjustments will make kickoffs “much more of a punt play” – ProFootballTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Sioux Falls, SD area
3,182 posts, read 4,647,905 times
Reputation: 5350
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
According to NBC Sports, the kickoff will now be more of a "punt" play.



Adjustments will make kickoffs “much more of a punt play” – ProFootballTalk

Next rule change will be that any pass over the middle within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, the defenders will have to tackle the receiver below the waist. Think I'm being overly dramatic? Just wait, something like this is coming.


Bring on the rockem sockem robots. The only contact allowed in the near future will be by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,345 posts, read 14,117,251 times
Reputation: 5964
"Can you believe they're going to allow forward passing? What's next, free kicks for field goals when the quarterback can't find someone to throw too??" - city data forum 1904
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 01:33 PM
 
159 posts, read 240,364 times
Reputation: 209
I support continuing kick offs like they are now. But, if they are looking to replace it with something else, they can just start with a fourth and 10 or 15 situation from the kickoff spot. The team could either run a play from scrimmage (instead of an onside kick) and try to get a first down, or punt (instead of a kickoff). And the receiving team could fair catch or return it. And if it goes out of bounds on the 2 yard line, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 AM
 
Location: 912 feet above sea level
2,270 posts, read 883,967 times
Reputation: 12457
Eliminate the kickoff!?!?!?!?!?!?

What next??????

Mandate helmet use?
Unlimited substitutions?
Institute overtime for games tied after 60 minutes?
Move the goalposts from the goal-line to the back of the end zone?
Narrow the hashmarks?
Add wild-card teams to the playoffs?
Establish a five-yard contact rule?
Ban the single-bar facemask?
Institute the two-point conversion?
Prohibit chop blocks?

The game will be ruined!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM
 
32,503 posts, read 26,398,194 times
Reputation: 19155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Eliminate the kickoff!?!?!?!?!?!?

What next??????

Mandate helmet use?
Unlimited substitutions?
Institute overtime for games tied after 60 minutes?
Move the goalposts from the goal-line to the back of the end zone?
Narrow the hashmarks?
Add wild-card teams to the playoffs?
Establish a five-yard contact rule?
Ban the single-bar facemask?
Institute the two-point conversion?
Prohibit chop blocks?

The game will be ruined!!!!!!

what is next? a change in the name from the national football league to the national FLAG football league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top