Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 03:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,511 times

Advertisements

The Senior finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame was just announced.

It’s a great choice, too — Johnny Robinson. He’s extremely old, but still alive to enjoy the honor. Also extremely deserving, arguably among the top five most deserving snubs. Has a fine postseason honors profile (6/7/allAFL) and reportedly looks great in film study (scores second highest at Ken Crippen’s film study site, for one, behind only Don Hutson). Was screwed over when he was a regular candidate because of anti-AFL bias back then. Really can’t argue with this choice at all. Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
The Senior finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame was just announced.

It’s a great choice, too — Johnny Robinson. He’s extremely old, but still alive to enjoy the honor. Also extremely deserving, arguably among the top five most deserving snubs. Has a fine postseason honors profile (6/7/allAFL) and reportedly looks great in film study (scores second highest at Ken Crippen’s film study site, for one, behind only Don Hutson). Was screwed over when he was a regular candidate because of anti-AFL bias back then. Really can’t argue with this choice at all. Congratulations!
YES!

I can name many other AFL players who are deserving to go into Canton and are not in. The HOF selection committee gave short shrift to the AFL as a league and that's a fact. Robinson should have gone in a couple decades ago, like Jerry Kramer and Robert Brazile did this past January.

Regarding his stats--- what makes that even more impressive, and only the people who followed that league from its earliest beginnings can tell you, is that in Robinson's first two seasons he was the wide receiver opposite Chris Burford.

1960-35 catches/601 yards/2 touchdowns
1961-41 catches/611 yards/4 touchdowns

He also was a backup running back in both of those years, in 1961 he had 98 rushes for 458 yards for 4 touchdowns. He made the switch to defense easily in 1962 as he was a 2 way player with LSU. In 1962 he got 4 picks. He totalled 57 picks for his career.

He didn't get big press from the media when he got drafted because defensive safeties don't score touchdowns, or not enough to be considered a Heisman candidate. The NFL damn sure knew who he was as he also was the #1 draft choice of the Detroit Lions. It's about time he was recognized.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-17-2018 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 PM

Agreed, Double H. There are several old AFL players who have reasonable HoF arguments not in:

Walt Sweeney
Ed Budde
Jim Tyrer
Winston Hill
Art Powell
Lionel Taylor
Earl Faison
Tom Sestak
Houston Antwine
Larry Grantham
Mike Stratton
Dave Grayson
George Saimes

Old 08-17-2018, 07:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Joe Kapp, if for no other reasons than that cool scar he has on his jaw from a broken beer bottle and his kerfuffle with Angelo Mosca

Old 08-18-2018, 04:54 PM

Heh, a couple thoughts on Kapp. I remember the 1969 NFL Championship game well. I know that Cleveland Brown linebacker Jim Houston doesn't remember the last quarter and a half. Kapp took off on a run and literally ran over Houston, knocking him out of the game. Houston wasn't an average player, he was cleveland's best linebacker, a 4 time pro bowler. 27-zip Vikings who then advance to SB-IV.

Getting back on topic, I know Kapp remembers Johnny Robinson. And Bobby Bell, Buck Buchanan, Jerry Mays, Emmitt Thomas, etc., etc.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:08 PM

While I wouldn’t put Joe Kapp in the PFHoF (his NFL stats are awful even adjusted for era, and he didn’t exactly throw a perfect spiral — more like a wounded duck), he was reportedly a tough customer especially for a QB. Didn’t know about the Jim Houston story, Double H, thanks for sharing.

I think he’s in the Canadian Football HoF, though.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-21-2018 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: one word correction

Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
While I wouldn’t put Joe Kapp in the PFHoF (his NFL stats are awful even adjusted for era, and he didn’t exactly throw a perfect spiral — more like a wounded duck), he was reportedly a tough customer especially for a QB. Didn’t know about the Jim Houston story, Double H, thanks for sharing.

Kapp is! He played 8 years in the CFL, mostly with the B.C. Lions. But in the NFL, he is a part of one of the most noted league records-most touchdown passes in a game. He hung 7 on the Baltimore Colts early in the 1969 season. One thing to note about that. The Colts had a down year after suffering the 16-7 loss to the NY Jets in SB-III. And that blowout loss to the Vikings only underlined the fact that Don Shula's days were going to be contentious, at the very least. Kapp earlier had won 2 Grey Cups while with the CFL, and IMO he really wanted to play in Minnesota as Bud Grant was a former CFL head coach, replacing Norm Van Brocklin. Having said all this, I do keep in mind that Kapp wasn't a pinpoint passer, but the guy was tough as nails. I loved the guy myself!

One more note on Kapp- he was the head coach at California when Cal played the Stanford Cardinals and then the marching band took care of the blocking patterns as Cal scored that td with all the laterals. The qb who put that last td on the board to set up the Stanford kickoff? John Elway.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-21-2018 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 PM

With Robinson nominated to the seniors ballot, it is unclear whether a second name will appear later. Some years they induct two, like they did with Jerry Kramer and Robert Brazile. Some years it's only one. I don't get the inconsistency, but that's the topic for another thread.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:30 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
Quote:

Good ole Joe Kapp -- master of the dying quail!

Old 08-21-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
With Robinson nominated to the seniors ballot, it is unclear whether a second name will appear later. Some years they induct two, like they did with Jerry Kramer and Robert Brazile. Some years it's only one. I don't get the inconsistency, but that's the topic for another thread.
They’ll only have one Senior this year, but two Contributors. They’ve been alternating two in one category and one in the other for the past several years now. I think the object was to focus more heavily on the Contributors and get more emphasis on them, especially since GM types and owners and folks like Steve Sabol and Art McNally were languishing far too much. They’ve gotten more caught up in this category recently.

The two Contributors should be announced sometime Thursday. Scuttlebut I’ve been hearing suggests Pat Bowlen and Gil Brandt are likely, but we’ll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football