U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:36 AM

929 posts, read 299,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A lot of football is a field position game today. Punters who can consistently give their defense a lot of field to work with by putting down punts inside the 10 make a major contribution to helpin their team. As far as HOF, I cant think of anyone at punter Id want in other than guy. Jeff Feagles was legit for a while but nah.
Reggie Roby didn't come to mind? A good case is made here....
https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/2/...or-reggie-roby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
How many times have we seen a game won by a successful punt...????
As others mention, it can and has, albeit the examples are usually open to a great deal of subjectivity as to whether the field position aspect was ultimately the difference as opposed to the defense stepping up either way. However, just off the top of my head, there was a clear example where the San Diego Charger punter in the wildcard game vs the Colts was probably the Most Valuable Player of the game and keeping that potent Peyton Manning offense at bay. One game- take it for what its worth, but that particular instant, it was clear-cut and wasn't just based on one punt either. The Charger punter was Mike Scifres and I believe it was 2009? The 8-8 Chargers beat the 12-4 Colts in a low scoring overtime affair. And Scifres was truly unbelievable in that game in regards to the booming punts and pinning Manning deep.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:55 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,146,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Reggie Roby didn't come to mind? A good case is made here....
https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/2/...or-reggie-roby
Funny thing, I thought about this particular guy a few days ago, but could not for the life of me remember his name! Names like Kaptain King and other such weird monikers kept coming to me.

However, that doesn't mean I think any less of, uh... Reggie -- certainly nowhere near what most people think of any normal, under-appreciated punter.

He definitely deserves a shot at what most everyone else has already decided is a no-punters precious HOF.

And, if Ray Guy has anything to say about it...

Old 05-04-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Funny thing, I thought about this particular guy a few days ago, but could not for the life of me remember his name! Names like Kaptain King and other such weird monikers kept coming to me.

However, that doesn't mean I think any less of, uh... Reggie -- certainly nowhere near what most people think of any normal, under-appreciated punter.

He definitely deserves a shot at what most everyone else has already decided is a no-punters precious HOF.

And, if Ray Guy has anything to say about it...
Unfortunately Roby died of a suspected heart attack in 2005. His "moon shots" were legendary and in warm-ups he did in fact punt a few that hit the roof in dome facilities. He could kick the ball a mile while still providing a lot of hang time to those same kicks. He was arguably better than Ray Guy.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:00 PM

32,549 posts, read 26,480,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Unfortunately Roby died of a suspected heart attack in 2005. His "moon shots" were legendary and in warm-ups he did in fact punt a few that hit the roof in dome facilities. He could kick the ball a mile while still providing a lot of hang time to those same kicks. He was arguably better than Ray Guy.
wasnt roby the one that said he wanted to hit the new scoreboard in dallas?

Old 05-04-2018, 02:16 PM

4,310 posts, read 1,871,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wasnt roby the one that said he wanted to hit the new scoreboard in dallas?
Only if he came back as a ghost.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:06 PM

17 posts, read 4,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Ray Guy is in the pro football Hall of Fame. He was a great punter but no punter should be in the Hall of Fame. They do not make a big enough difference. The average game sees 5 punts for each team. If one team has the best punter in the league, and the other team has an average punter, the difference in yardage is 10-15 yards. A good running back or wide receiver would make a bigger difference when compared to the average running back or wide receiver. With that criteria, Mark Brunell and Frank Wycheck should be in the Hall.
I agree there should be no punters in the HOF and I'm a die-hard Raider fan. Guy did change the game of punting, but we're still talking about punting.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:23 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraOlson View Post
I agree there should be no punters in the HOF and I'm a die-hard Raider fan. Guy did change the game of punting, but we're still talking about punting.
Yeah. The math says that punters just are not influential enough to warrant either big contracts, or a place in the Hall of Fame. The difference between a good punter and an average punter is a few yards a game. Now if the idea is to take every position and place the very best represenatives of that position in the Hall regardless of their actual contributions to the team, then Guy and perhaps a few others should be inducted. To be fair, I'm a stickler when it comes to the baseball Hall of Fame. Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Willie Mays. Mike Schmidt and Walter Johnson deserve the Hall. Bruce Sutter and Tony Perez do not. It is for the very very best players, not the very good players.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Yeah. The math says that punters just are not influential enough to warrant either big contracts, or a place in the Hall of Fame. The difference between a good punter and an average punter is a few yards a game. Now if the idea is to take every position and place the very best represenatives of that position in the Hall regardless of their actual contributions to the team, then Guy and perhaps a few others should be inducted. To be fair, I'm a stickler when it comes to the baseball Hall of Fame. Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Willie Mays. Mike Schmidt and Walter Johnson deserve the Hall. Bruce Sutter and Tony Perez do not. It is for the very very best players, not the very good players.
Definitely this post hits on the mark in regards to my mentality abut enshrinement to the Hall-of-Fame. I think the elite punters should be in. Not very many for sure- maybe only Guy and Roby- but nevertheless they were truly dominant at their position and I think of that aspect far more than if the outcomes of games were influenced enough by the position he plays. If we are going to talk outcomes of games, did the likes of OJ Simpson matter when he played for the Niners and Bills? The teams he was on almost always stunk.

The Hall-of-Fame is watered down imo and too many players continue to be inducted who shouldn't be. Other than the very elite punters and say, a Pete Rose because of other circumstances that are keeping him out of course, I can't think of a player I'd make a case for who should be in, but isn't. I only care so much about stats when stats aren't created equally from different eras, or even from the same eras due to different supporting casts, different home stadiums, etc... . I want to simply use common sense and ask myself, was such-or-such individual truly dominant at his craft over a long enough duration? I understand the debate over a guy like Terrell Davis. I also understand its subjective. I do not however understand how somebody watched Kurt Warner in football or Bert Blyleven in baseball and think, "those are elite caliber players I watched for much of their careers". "Hall-of-Fame" should truly define greatness and bring up connotations of the very best and not those were simply very good, compiled stats based on longevity, or get the benefit of some single, silly angle (first third baseman to hit 40 homeruns in a season, walk 100 times, make fewer than 20 errors, and abstain from tobacco every Sunday of the season): too often voters and fans have more and more lost sight of this and been haphazard in denoting somebody a "Hall-of-Fame" caliber player.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:55 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,059,208 times
I think if a Special Team player is elite, he should be admitted. I have no problem with Ray Guy getting in, just like I feel Steve Tasker and Devin Huster should get in, because they had a huge impact on how their teams won football games. No one should over look a guy just because of his position. The Hall does the same thing with Offensive Linemen. Well, they are getting better with Offensive Linemen, but they still have a ways to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or