U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:41 PM

9,594 posts, read 4,598,726 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...lph/ar-AAwNma0

"I was surprised when they took a quarterback because I thought that maybe in the third round, you know you can get some really good football players that can help this team now,"

Ben says that he will NOT mentor Mason Rudolph. Not surprised, he has always been a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 04:33 PM

10,677 posts, read 11,087,576 times
Iím not sure what he expected. Not too long ago he was flirting with retirement. Or at least hinting about it.

Though it does seem like an A-hole thing to say, I canít help but think from his perspective that pick could have been used on an area of immediate need and see his point. He may feel a bit entitled to his opinion too after taking an already storied franchise to 3 more Super Bowls. Seems he should be at least somewhat in tune with the team needing to think long term too, but who knows what motivates the thought process in these guys.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:08 PM

4,848 posts, read 6,362,529 times
Looks like he eats too much pudding, publicly contemplates retirement and can't figure out why Pittsburgh drafted a QB. Is he a rube or a jerk?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:10 PM

9,594 posts, read 4,598,726 times
Alex Smith knew that he was being replaced in KC, but he mentored Mahomes.

most QBs do.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:55 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,858,489 times
Big Ben doesn't seem like the mentoring type.

I agree with iknowftbll. Big Ben was wavering on his commitment to playing in the 2017 season last off-season. He's not getting any younger. This very well could be his last season. Steelers don't know. They need to have an option for the future.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,125,137 times
Here's wishing the best for Mason Rudolph. He should've received a warmer greeting from an NFL player regarding his upcoming inaugural season with the Steelers!

Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Alex Smith knew that he was being replaced in KC, but he mentored Mahomes.

most QBs do.
I can think of a few old school guys who was able to benefit as well and all four of them are in the HOF.

Norm Van Brocklin>>>>>>Sonny Jurgensen

Johnny Unitas>>>>>>>>>Dan Fouts.

Fouts spoke highly of Unitas on several occasions as he's a commentator for AFC games. He knew Unitas didn't have a lot left after the 1972 season but Charger owner Gene Klein signed Unitas to a fat contract. For years in the 1960's the Chargers were among the elite in the AFL but as the 1970's kicked in they were winding their way into the basement. Klein wanted to bring in a guy who could show the club what a super bowl ring could look like. Everybody on that '73 Charger club knew Unitas didn't have a lot left. And sadly Fouts finished the last several games of that '73 season. I remember when the Chargers came into Mile High Stadium around week 10 or so just to see the man play. But it was Fouts who played qb instead. In an interview several years ago I remember Fouts remarking, "he not only taught me how to carry myself on the field but also off the field. Unitas was Fouts hero growing up as a kid in Oregon.

Jurgensen had gone on record that Van Brocklin had a computer mind regarding all things quarterback. Sonny was a backup for his first couple years but he "was absorbing all the information he could" out of Van Brocklin. The year after Van Brocklin retired Sonny passed for 3723 yards and 32 touchdowns but shortly after that the Eagles imploded as Joe Kuharich ran Pete Retzlaff, Timmy Brown, and Tommy McDonald off by trades. But when Sonny went to DC he got back into solid qb play.

That's what the great ones do. They mentor.

I'm in agreement with the other posters regarding Ben. He'd gone on record as seriously thinking of retirement not only this past season but also after the 2016 season. Yes, he's had a great career and yes, he will go into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame. I say he plays two more years, tops. The Steelers did the right thing by looking to the future.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-07-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 05:50 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,548,322 times
Great post, H! I think Ben goes out with the Steelers, and true not all QB's mentor. Some are better about it than others.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:40 PM

23,641 posts, read 33,434,470 times
Big Ben, from the Diss, sit yo down! You yourself said on more than one occasion that you may walk away after the season. You were considering a business decision for yourself. The Steelers have to look out for the franchise if you leave so they made a business decision to get a QB ready if anything happens.

I donít care if Ben mentors Rudolph but he has no right to be mad at his own words driving the Steelers to prepare for life after Big Ben.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 PM

4,984 posts, read 11,050,787 times
Big Baby Ben comes off as a whiny biatch and it really isn't a good look at all....really no excuse for his comments and hey, have fun in that QB room this Fall with your soon to be team mate

In truth probably EVERY NFL starting QB in Ben's position has the same thoughts....difference is every single one of them would keep their traps shut and keep it to themselves.

Brady was in the exact same position 5 years ago when the Pats drafted Jimmy G...never heard a peep from Brady he just put his head down and worked his arse off..

Many in New England credit Brady's late career resurgence to having Jimmy G breathing down his neck and reigniting his competitive fires....THAT is how you respond to a team drafting your eventual replacement Ben....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football