Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,578,786 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is AJ Green criminally underrated?

He is arguably the best WR in the league, but no one even mentions him when discussing the best WR's because Andy Dalton is such a liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM

6,327 posts, read 3,575,552 times
I'm not sure he's underrated. Dalton isn't elite but he's also not necessarily a liability overall but he did have a down year last year for sure.

DeAndre Hokins probably has a better case of having played his whole career mostly without talent at the QB position.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 AM

17,399 posts, read 14,953,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm not sure he's underrated. Dalton isn't elite but he's also not necessarily a liability overall but he did have a down year last year for sure.

DeAndre Hokins probably has a better case of having played his whole career mostly without talent at the QB position.

Sammy Watkins, too. Two years with Tyrod Taylor, one with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton.. He didn't do great last year with Goff, but.. I'm not ready to put Goff on too high a pedestal just yet.

Don't know how things will go this year.. Mahomes is untested and lord help the Chiefs if something happens to him or he doesn't pan out. Henne and McGloin behind him.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 3,575,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Sammy Watkins, too. Two years with Tyrod Taylor, one with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton.. He didn't do great last year with Goff, but.. I'm not ready to put Goff on too high a pedestal just yet.

Don't know how things will go this year.. Mahomes is untested and lord help the Chiefs if something happens to him or he doesn't pan out. Henne and McGloin behind him.
Watkins failed to come away with a couple of balls that would have been touchdowns in that wild card game against Atlanta. It was just one game but it was a good example of how some of his under achievements fall squarely on him. He's also missed a lot of games due to injury those far. I wouldn't quite put him in the same category. He does have a ton of potential still though. But he is really going to have to show it this year because Hopkins as been putting up big numbers pretty much every year and he has never had a great or even good QB for a whole year.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,776,502 times
I wouldn't say Green is criminally underrated. He's routinely mentioned among the top 10 WRs in the NFL and if you play fantasy football, he's usually near the top of the WR heap.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I wouldn't say Green is criminally underrated. He's routinely mentioned among the top 10 WRs in the NFL and if you play fantasy football, he's usually near the top of the WR heap.
My point is he should routinely be mentioned in the top 2 or 3. Imagine that guy with big Ben, Matt Ryan, or Eli. He single handedly has kept Andy Dalton in the league.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:27 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,098,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
My point is he should routinely be mentioned in the top 2 or 3. Imagine that guy with big Ben, Matt Ryan, or Eli. He single handedly has kept Andy Dalton in the league.
First, I love the fact that you brought this topic up. I'm a Bengals fan and think AJ Green is a future Hall of Famer and underrated as a receiver. Not sure how many times Dalton overthrew (and underthrew) a wide-open Green. Green had Jalen Ramsey beat for a TD but Dalton threw it over his head and out of bounds.

Second, yes, he has bailed out Dalton numerous times. Admittedly though, he actually has had balls bounce off of him and into defenders hands. It happens. That said, to be fair to Dalton, his offensive line has been awful. If he doesn't get rid of the ball under two seconds, he's going to get flattened. Plus, he never had a great running game. This year will be different. New offensive line coach and better players on the line. Dalton will have no excuses. I think he's better than people give him credit for, but, his detractors aren't without good reasons either.

Lastly, I think that Green being quiet (outside of his tiff with Ramsey) and not as flamboyant as OBJ and Antonio Brown hurts his popularity. OBJ and Brown are certainly deserving of all the attention they get due to their impressive skills, but, their Chad Johnson-esque dancing gets them even more attention.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:06 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Is it just me or is AJ Green criminally underrated?

He is arguably the best WR in the league, but no one even mentions him when discussing the best WR's because Andy Dalton is such a liability.
It's just you.

He is not "arguably the best WR in the league".....

Production matters and while Dalton isn't a superstar he isn't terrible and Green's production doesn't warrant him being number 1

The Top 3 WR's in the league are Brown, Jones and OBJ in whatever order you want to put them in.

AJ is in that next tier just below but he is hardly under rated as he is consistently ranked as one of the best WR's in the game....I would put him top 5 but number 1....no way....

Old 05-28-2018, 02:32 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,624,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It's just you.

Production matters and while Dalton isn't a superstar he isn't terrible and Green's production doesn't warrant him being number 1

The Top 3 WR's in the league are Brown, Jones and OBJ in whatever order you want to put them in.

AJ is in that next tier just below but he is hardly under rated as he is consistently ranked as one of the best WR's in the game....I would put him top 5 but number 1....no way....
This here. My sentiment exactly. A matter of fact, that is my order as well. While I think Green is very good, I dont have him above those three.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It's just you.

Hmmm. Green has 14 more career TDs than Jones on 30 less receptions, and he only has 2 less than Brown on almost 200 less receptions. Beckham is far behind in both. All while catching passes from Dalton instead of a future hall of famer.

I think theroc nailed it, Green's calm (Fitzgerald like) demeanor has hurt him in this discussion, but in my opinion he is a better receiver than all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football