Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times

Advertisements

Apparently, some of you don't remember when replacement players actually did play. It was bad.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:07 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Apparently, some of you don't remember when replacement players actually did play. It was bad.

Don't care. This is worse.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Don't care. This is worse.

i remember when replacement players were n the field, the owners will do what it takes to get the season going. personally i think that the current crop of players needs to have a big scare put into them.

let them strike, i dont care. if i were a team owner, those players would be released as i replaced them with players from around the country that didnt make the cut the first time.

i would also tell the players that if they wish to remain in the locker room during the anthem taht they can take their uniform off and go home instead. same with if they decide to kneel while the anthem is playing. hit the locker room and change into civies and go home.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:50 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It doesn't really matter how the players feel about the rule change. What matters is what the customers think and the rule change is overwhelmingly supported by the fans. A significant amount feel that the rule isn't strong enough and should include player suspension provisions. What are the players going to do? I know they can sue but the NFL can and does make and enforce the rules and can change them. Maybe just maybe the player union will vote to go on strike and the NFL can just void the union contract and hire replacement players. There are plenty of football players that would love to have the job and to be quite honest with you, there aren't very many individual players that are overly popular with the fans right now other than maybe Tom Brady and a couple others.

Wait a minute, did I miss something......Does Al Sharpton live in the White House now?

I will not disagree with any of your points. Either way things are not going to be good for the NFL. Those "plenty of Football players you speak of looking for a job" would only diminish the quality of play, and the NFL will continue its decline. Between this dilemma and CTE, the NFL has major issues moving forward.

Seems the coaches are not supporting the new policy either. They are afraid of division in the locker-rooms. Just imagine how the media would run with the majority of players not on the field during the playing of the NA. Better off not having any on the field during the NA which in my opinion is where it's headed anyways.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:19 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Funny that breast cancer awareness on the field, autism awareness on the field, spousal abuse awareness on the field, and military appreciation on the field, NONE of which have anything to do with the game, are no problem for any of you. But awareness of the death of black men on the field, well THAT'S a line you don't want crossed and now complain that you want your paid entertainers to just entertain you.

Peaceful protest is the very definition of the things that our service members fought and died for. And it was a Marine who taught the players to kneel in reverential protest, as that was NOT disrespectful (unlike stomping on the flag or burning it would be or like Roseanne's butchering of the anthem while grabbing her crotch was).

And I can guarantee that most people complaining about it never stand for the anthem in their own living rooms waiting for the game/race to start. At least, I've never seen it at any football party or NASCAR race party I've ever been to.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:42 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

And I can guarantee that most people complaining about it never stand for the anthem in their own living rooms waiting for the game/race to start. At least, I've never seen it at any football party or NASCAR race party I've ever been to.
This is such a lame excuse. I hear it all all the time in other threads on this matter. Comparing standing on the field to standing at home is actually not a good comparison. What if I'm driving the the road listening to the game on the radio? Should I stop the car, jump out and stand at attention? Don't be ridiculous!

Now I can say, almost all fans I see at LIVE games, in the stands, will STAND for the national anthem. That is a much better comparison.

Standing at an open event is showing your patriotism to others and sharing that experience with patriots from your country.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
This is such a lame excuse. I hear it all all the time in other threads on this matter. Comparing standing on the field to standing at home is actually not a good comparison. What if I'm driving the the road listening to the game on the radio? Should I stop the car, jump out and stand at attention? Don't be ridiculous!

Now I can say, almost all fans I see at LIVE games, in the stands, will STAND for the national anthem. That is a much better comparison.

Standing at an open event is showing your patriotism to others and sharing that experience with patriots from your country.

if it's disrespectful in the stands, it's disrespectful in your car or at home. the FLAG doesn't care one way or the other. And again, what about all the people milling about the concession stands and the concession stand operators and store operators that are at the field? If you're not going to force all of them to "respect the flag" at the same time, then you're in the wrong to force ANYONE to do it.

Forcing patriotism is what North Korea does. No wonder 45 likes Un so much...

And again, this comes down to one thing: it's about black men. You don't mind any other activism that they do on the field, from wearing pink shoes and gloves to having PSAs during the game about spousal abuse or autism. None of it matters to the game, nor affects the game in any way. So why so bent about this particular activism which also does not affect the game in any way? Black men raising awareness not for women's causes, or children's causes, but for a black man's cause. Period. Why can't they campaign for breast cancer awareness on their own time? Why do they have to put children's disease awareness in front of millions? Why should the military be celebrated at a sports event? Why should any celebrity use their audience to influence people? Because that's what works when you want millions of people to know about it, instead of just your family and close friends.

They do work in their communities when not on the field. They DO campaign for awareness whenever they can and many put their own money up for helping this cause, but they ALSO use the platform available to them to spread that message to MILLIONS. Why during the anthem? Because for a segment of our population, many of the words in the anthem are still a lie. And the rise in blatant racist activity since 2015 is proving that to be true.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

To put it mildly....a ridiculous comparison. Thank you. +1

Old 08-22-2018, 11:31 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
I call cowards on athletes who do a protest in front of a captive audience who paid admission to watch a sporting event.

Yes, captive, because the fans can't boo them or heckle them while they protest during the anthem.

Why don't the protesting cowards do their protesting on busy street corners where people have the option to applaud them, ignore them, or heckle them.
How is a player kneeling preventing the sporting event from happening? It would be one thing if players were interrupting play for their protest, but this is simply not the case.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
All the people who are saying you are at a job etc. does your job play the national anthem before you sit at your desk? I actually think patriotism should be considered a religion then then NFL cannot force the establishment of an official religion like reckless patriotism has become.
By choosing to protest these players are making a statement (intentionally or not) that they are against the very people who fight to defend their right to protest in the first place. Many Americans are appalled by that action.

It's a slap in the face of those who are happy to be in this country. It's pretty simple. If you cannot respect the country that you live in, move. If you were in certain other countries protests like this could get you time in prison or the ground by their government. America isn't like that because the government doesn't intervene. The government lets society make the decision, and they did.

What happened is that society deemed this was inappropriate behavior and formed their own protest by choosing to stop watching NFL games and chose of their own free will to stop paying money to the NFL.

By disagreeing with this decision you are basically saying that only some people have the right to protest if their agenda agrees with yours. The NFL decided that they didn't like lost revenue and put a policy in place to try and curb the loss of revenue. Players are not forced to stay there. They can leave any time if they disagree with the policy, just as you can quit your job if you don't like a policy that your company put in place. That's the beauty of freedom.

If the NFL hadn't put the policy in place and revenue continued to spiral downwards eventually players wouldn't be paid the same amount. Then you'd have players going on strikes and staging protests to complain about being underpaid and ignoring the fact that they drove the fans away. You never bite the hand that feeds. And they have without ever thinking of the long term effects on their own livelihood.

Living in this country is a choice. No one is forced to stay here. We have one of the few countries like that. A little respect to the people who fight to keep it a free country isn't a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football