Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:57 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Now officially NFL players are required if they are on the field for the anthem, they are required to stand. They can stay in the locker room if they do not want to stand. The Jets chairman has come out against the new policy already. 49ers owner Jed York abstained from voting on the rule due to a lack of input from players.

Sure this won’t be a surprise to some but I think the NFL took a cowardly way out to appease the current presidential administration and a lot of fans who could care less about the welfare of the majority of players that make up rosters.

mod note--am a little late on making this a *sticky* but I'll look at this thread just like the one we had last September on this very same subject which went to 209 posts. By that time all the regular football posters opined on this, some several times. I'll keep this thread a *sticky until the thread runs its course or the thread runs into a bunch of personal insults by posters

And I won't put up with personal insults.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-29-2018 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i dont think the policy goes far enough. i think that if a player kneels for the anthem, or stays in the locker room, then they should put on the street clothes and go home because they shouldnt be playing that game. if the players do this more than once, they should be suspended for more than one game, do it often enough they should be suspended for the season, with loss of pay.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont think the policy goes far enough. i think that if a player kneels for the anthem, or stays in the locker room, then they should put on the street clothes and go home because they shouldnt be playing that game. if the players do this more than once, they should be suspended for more than one game, do it often enough they should be suspended for the season, with loss of pay.
Agreed. There should be no option to stay in the locker room and continue in that way to be distractions from and disruptions to....the game.

It is, however, a step in the right direction.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:49 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Nothing says the American ideal quite so much as a forced "patriotism" celebration. When you support and/or cheer for this sort of enforced "respect the flag" BS you've just pizzed on the memory of every service member who lost their life fighting for this country and the principles it represents. Far better you question why the federal government and specifically the armed forces need to waste our tax dollars on advertising campaigns and military demonstrations at sporting events.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
I don’t have a problem with the policy. If the players do not wish to participate in that part of the pre game ceremony they can stay in the locker room. Nobody is being forced to do anything here. I also don’t think the league is trying to appease the president. I think they’re trying to appease the many fans they lost through the protests.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:08 PM

165 posts, read 115,122 times
Telling them to stay in the locker room during the athem is in essence snuffing out the protest.

This new policy is not going to solve anything. It’s only going to further inflame the situation and in turn cause more “distractions” from the game IMO.

Last edited by Ocean Flames; 05-23-2018 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-23-2018, 05:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
So cute to see the NFL that for many years enjoyed tax-free status and contributed nothing to the country hiding behind the flag.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:27 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I honestly think we need to take a look at why we play the anthem at all at sporting events. At my job, we don’t play the national anthem before I sit at my desk.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post
Telling them to stay in the locker room during the athem is in essence snuffing out the protest.

This new policy is not going to solve anything. It’s only going to further inflame the situation and in turn cause more “distractions” from the game IMO.

no it isnt snuffing out the protest at all, it is just forcing the players to protest in a more appropriate location as well as a more appropriate time. i, like the vast majority of fans, dont want to turn on the football game, and watch players trying to make a political statement. i also dont like when game commentators use their positions to make political statements during the game. thats not why i watch football.

i will say that when you watch the opening ceremonies at a nascar event, you dont see ANY of the teams or team members taking a knee during the anthem, though some would like to. the car owners would never allow it. drivers and pit crew would be fired after the race if they did what some NFL players are doing.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 PM

165 posts, read 115,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I honestly think we need to take a look at why we play the anthem at all at sporting events. At my job, we don’t play the national anthem before I sit at my desk.
Agreed. Isn’t this pretty new? Meaning they didn’t start doing this until after 9/11? It was a way to show patriotism etc.,?

The new rule states that kneeling is forbidden but the protesting players can still do many things that some would consider offensive during the anthem ie turning away from the flag, making the black power salute etc., I don’t know if players would go that far, but it’s possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football