U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I can only imagine what kind of stats Herman Moore could roll up if he played in today's passing game. Until Calvin Johnson came along, Moore was without a doubt the best that the Lions ever had regarding wide receivers IMHO. And actually, I remember the game that started his decline. Lions were playing the Seahawks in the home opener and Moore tore his knee up, missed a couple months IIRC. From that point forward, he was never the same. By 2001 he was a backup on the NY Giants and then that was it. Sad.

And Barry Sanders? One of the 5 best running backs in NFL history. I love to read about all things NFL, one of these days I'd like to get the book on Sanders--"Now You See Me."

Bondurant is right. I'd have to do some digging regarding free agent signings through that stretch but Detroit was lacking in defense, no doubt.

Detroit was way too quick to abandon the running game in that stretch.

I remember the 1991 NFC Championship game. Sanders busted off a 20+ yard run early.. Then got stuffed pretty well on the next 2 series.. And that was it. He was done. He had 11 carries in that game for 44 yards. And while the final was 41-10.. It was not out of hand until late. Halftime was 17-10 Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 11:42 AM

929 posts, read 296,904 times
The Rams and Vikings teams of the 70s always come to mind. The Rams upset the Cowboys twice in Dallas to reach the NFC title game. I think though the Vikings were a thorn in their side. The one squad that reached the Super Bowl ironically was the 1979 9-7 team that was more lightly regarded, but in fact too had the vaunted Steelers on the ropes late into the 1979-80 Super Bowl.
The Vikings in turn always seemed to run into one of history’s best teams every time in the Super Bowl and ultimately lost all four they appeared in.
The Chargers of the mid 2000s as alluded to. And in fact, regarding Marty Schottenheimer’s post season shortcomings, ignoring his 90s Chiefs teams that I think more overachieved in the regular season, how about the 86-89 Browns? Their nemesis of course was always Elway and the Broncos. But with Bernie Kosar, a fearsome rb tandem, and a hard hitting and talented secondary, I though those Cleveland teams 1-22 should have been better than Denver and at least gotten to a couple of Super Bowls.
Lastly, the 81-85 Dolphins were 56-17. Yes by 1984 the offense was a different look with the record setting passing attack fueled by Dan Marino and the Marks brothers. But the Killer B defense was much the same. They lost to an all time great team in Super Bowl 19 vs SF and by then the defense was aging and was well exposed by the 85 playoffs. But the infamous 81-82 divisional loss to the Chargers, the loss to the Redskins in SB 17, and the shocking loss in 83 to Seattle were games they should have or could have won. One SB trophy in the early 80s was very attainable.
I guess we got to put those 90s Bills teams on here. They lost to the better team in the last three years. But they were the more talented squad and should have beaten the Giants in what remains the greatest Super Bowl ever played, SB 25.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 07-19-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM

1,579 posts, read 983,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
The Rams and Vikings teams of the 70s always come to mind..how about the 86-89 Browns?.
Sonny, Good post.. I agree on the late 8os Browns.
But I don't think the old Viking teams underachived. They won an NFL championship, followed by 3 NFC conference championships in less than 10 years, no ?

Sometime I think it's overlooked that the Vikes won a league championship. Super Bowl of that era was between 2 different leagues. I guess technically, Minnesota did get a championship.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Sonny, Good post.. I agree on the late 8os Browns.
But I don't think the old Viking teams underachived. They won an NFL championship, followed by 3 NFC conference championships in less than 10 years, no ?

Sometime I think it's overlooked that the Vikes won a league championship. Super Bowl of that era was between 2 different leagues. I guess technically, Minnesota did get a championship.
Yes great point about the championship in the 60s. I was thinking in context of winning at least one Super Bowl. The Vikings were dam good both in the 60s and 70s. I don't think of the Browns as a team that necessarily should have won a Super Bowl in the late 80s, but I put them on the list for kicks, given that they could have gotten to one at least: they lost all three AFC Championship games and each to Denver. I thought the Browns had the better personnel, or at least as good for all three of those meetings.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Minnesota was a prohibitive favorite in SB-IV, IIRC they were a 12 point pick. After watching the Vikings take apart the Cleveland Browns in the NFL Championship game, I could see where Vegas could set the bar to that level. The thing about that game I remember most was Viking quarterback Joe Kapp steamrolling linebacker Jim Houston. And Houston was through for the day. Jim Houston wasn't some schmo, he was one of the Browns best players, a 4 time pro bowler.

But Kansas City was ready. After their loss to Green Bay in the first super bowl, I believe Hank Stram was tired of hearing that Vince Lombardi quote--"Kansas City is a tough team but they don't compare with the tougher National Football League teams. That's what you wanted me to say, there, I said it!"

Actually what I saw was the Vikings defense undersized, the Chiefs had some O-linmen who out weighed the Vikings by 20 lbs. IMO. They rushed for 151 yards, sort of by committee, using Mike Garrett, Wendell Hayes, and Warren McVea. I remember the end arounds that Frank Pitts ran got a couple first downs to keep the Chief's drives going. A lot has been said through comments I've seen over the years on NFL Films about all of Hank Strams different formations. I agree to an extent, but actually it was the Chiefs defense that throttled the Vikings. The Chiefs had a great secondary with Jam marsalis, Emmit Thomas, and Johnny Robinson (who should be in the HOF but isn't). The Vikings best receiver was Gene Washington and he got shut out. The Viking running backs only got 17 carries combined for 53 yards. Kapp threw 2 picks and Gary Cuozzo just the one.

Dawson didn't throw a whole lot for one good reason--sloppy conditions. Remember, this game was played at Tulane Stadium and when you see any highlights of this game you see the fans wearing coats and jackets. And of course, that long pass play to Otis Taylor sealed it. And it wasn't a long throw so much as Taylor put a fake move on Earsell McBee. Even at 16-7, I never felt the Vikes couldn't come back. I remember Kapp was just beaten up. Cuozzo finished up for him.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 PM

7,231 posts, read 8,239,270 times
1990's Oilers: I have little memory of them other than being 4 years old and watching them blow that 32 point lead to Buffalo, but on paper they should have won at least one conference title, and perhaps that '92-93 squad would have been the one.

1998 Vikings: Everyone points the blame at Gary Anderson for missing that kick in the conference title game but the defense couldn't make a stop and they also couldn't score in OT. I thought for sure though they would make a Super Bowl appearance with that squad, but IIRC the next season Cunningham struggled and was benched, and well I guess aside from Moss was getting up there in age anyway. I guess you could make a case for the 90's Vikings as a whole but the 1998 team is the one everyone remembers.

2000's Eagles: I always thought they should have been in at least one other Super Bowl appearance. Just could never get over the NFC title game hump and first, then did and lost the SB, and then got back to the NFC title game I think once after that.

2000's Colts: This is another one who I thought should have been more than they were. They had all the makings of a potential dynasty and yet, just one SB win. At least they won a title.

2000's Chargers: Yeah, just unlucky and weird you-know-what that prevented them from even playing in a Super Bowl.

I'll agree the Seahawks should have been back-to-back Champs, and who knows maybe they get another one if Lynch gets the ball on the 1 yard line. I'll also give an HM to the Matt Ryan era Falcons although they could still win one, but, you know......

Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
1990's Oilers: I have little memory of them other than being 4 years old and watching them blow that 32 point lead to Buffalo, but on paper they should have won at least one conference title, and perhaps that '92-93 squad would have been the one.

1998 Vikings: Everyone points the blame at Gary Anderson for missing that kick in the conference title game but the defense couldn't make a stop and they also couldn't score in OT. I thought for sure though they would make a Super Bowl appearance with that squad, but IIRC the next season Cunningham struggled and was benched, and well I guess aside from Moss was getting up there in age anyway. I guess you could make a case for the 90's Vikings as a whole but the 1998 team is the one everyone remembers.

2000's Eagles: I always thought they should have been in at least one other Super Bowl appearance. Just could never get over the NFC title game hump and first, then did and lost the SB, and then got back to the NFC title game I think once after that.

2000's Colts: This is another one who I thought should have been more than they were. They had all the makings of a potential dynasty and yet, just one SB win. At least they won a title.

2000's Chargers: Yeah, just unlucky and weird you-know-what that prevented them from even playing in a Super Bowl.

I'll agree the Seahawks should have been back-to-back Champs, and who knows maybe they get another one if Lynch gets the ball on the 1 yard line. I'll also give an HM to the Matt Ryan era Falcons although they could still win one, but, you know......
Those Oiler teams under Jack Pardee with Buddy Ryan as the D.C really pulled some choke jobs in the playoffs. Of course the 35-3 blown lead to Buffalo with back-up Frank Reich engineering the Bills comeback. Then there was the divisional playoff lose at home to Kansas City. That was a horrible loss as well. Joe Montana was the QB, and Marcus Allen the RB, but that Oilers team still had no business losing to that KC team that day and I think had won something like 11 in a row heading into that game.
I thought about those Eagles teams that lost 3 straight NFC title games before reaching a Super Bowl, but although they were favored in two of them, I didnít think they were the better team in any of them. The Peyton Manning Colts too I think generally lost to teams they should have in the playoffs, with the notable exception of the season they started 13-0, including an easy win vs the Steelers, only to be outclassed in the rematch by the eventual Super Bowl champs three weeks later. That was a terrible loss for the Colts.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

First time I've heard Norv Turner referred to as "weird you-know-what"

Old 07-21-2018, 04:45 PM

2,270 posts, read 880,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am not going to dig into the stats; but the 90s Lions with Barry Sanders and Herman Moore were chronic underachievers.
The Lions have spent the last 60 years underachieving.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:45 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,234,660 times
I would definitely say the Lions. They always seem to have someone on the team who could carry the load (Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Mathew Stafford) but yet, they always fall short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or