U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,983,242 times

Advertisements

WELL I started putting it together on the website, re read it and did not like what I saw SO I have the AFC Done and here goes
Always Comical, sometimes serious and occasionally entertaining.......
The CAT's AFC PICKS*

AFC EAST
PATRIOTS 11-5
Really No Reason to suspect that the team is finished. They still have Bilicheck, Gronk, and Brady plus 51 other guys who can come off the bench nad play better than the second stringers on anyone's fantasy football team.

JETS 7-9 I would say that once they get Air-born, they should fly ok, but Air Traffic Control is something they need to really watch on Defense.

MY FINZ 5-11 5 WIns i generous for one of the league's worse run franchises. I am also really starting to doubt the intelligence of my fellow Dolphin fans (FINZ FANZ) after decades.....they say Tannehill is the problem, but they do not see how crappy the offensive line is. The problem is in order of severity
1)The offensive line 2)THE GM 3) The OWNER 4) THE COACH 5) THE RECEIVERS and 6 The depth, or lack thereof at any position. So yes, I think 5 wins is generous

4 BUFFALO BILLS 2-14 Speaking of poor offensive lines, the Buffaloes have already let their QB go down in preseason
THANKS blockers....more to come sadly, as this tea dropped in the Las Vegas odds to worse chance of winning the Super Bowl.

AFC NORTH
1 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 10-6
They have already given this division to this team, and I do not like that, because I have seen them muck it up too many times when they were the heavy favorites. They have holes and gaps that were not addressed but still have a solid core, and in a division with two teams from Ohio, they have it pretty easy

2 BALTIMORE RAVENS 9-7 I don't think Harbaugh is headed back to college yet, and I think the team will improve this year. Big Joe Flacco is still a top level QB
But if they fail, then Harbaugh may move in and get Urban Meyer's job in February.

3 CLEVELAND BROWNS 5-11 I don;t have a lot of faith in the coach or the poorly run front office, but there is enough talent to win AND they will have a radically different look and this will catch 5 teams off guard.

4 CINCINNATI BENGALS 4-12 They still have Andy Dalton on the positive side, but they have the same coach and the same ugly uniforms on the negative side. That is not good, especially since I am not impressed with Dalton's supporting cast.

AFC SOUTH

1 HOUSTON TEXANS 10-6 A healthy Texan team can beat anyone. Problem is, they are not usually healthy, especially late when it really counts. I think they will go the distance, but lose.

2 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 10-6
A lot of sportswriters who have never played the game and have no idea (the ones who picked the Succaneers to go 13-3 last year) are picking the Jaguars to win this year. Problem is, it is hard to recover from the wipeout in the championship game sometimes. And they have some key losses on offense BUT they will win on defense. And they have the depth to finish strong.

3 TENNESSEE TITANS 8-8 Would Mariotta be a better QB if he had better supporting cast and better coaching? This has all the makings of an inconsistant 8-8 team.

4 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 7-9 I was not as high on them but Andrew Luck has proven he can win....if he is uninjured and has a good supporting cast. He looks healthy, but I doubt the players around him will be able to push the team far enough.

AFC WEST
1 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 11-5
I trust the decisions Andy Reid has made at QB and I trust the defense to win. I do not trust Andy Reid ahead of me at the ALL YOU CAN EAT Buffet, but otherwise I trust him as a coach. And he and I both need to lose a little weight.

2 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 9-7 If I hear one more sportscaster say "OH the Chargers will win the Super Bowl because they finished strongest last year" , I am ready to start throwing up Hairballs. Just shows how anyone can get on TV or write a sports column.
That is, after all, what I am doing here. And you are reading it.

3 DENVER BRONCOS 7-9 I think the defense and the QB will keep them in some games and get them a few wins, but the team is a little ways away form being the dominating team they were with the Franchise QB who now does Nationwide commercials in his spare time

4 OAKLAND RAIDERS 6-10 Gruden will keep the fans interested, and improve the team slowly IF he sticks around for a while. Las Vegas says they will win 8, I'd bet Under IF I were to bet, and that could be to hype up anticipation of moving to Vegas, where like California weed is legal and no one will really care.
================================================== =============

Playoffs
First lets look at the last 15 AFC CHampions.....PATRIOTS-PATRIOTS-BRONCOS -PATRIOTS-BRONOCOS-RAVENS -PATRIOTS-STEELERS-COLTS-STEELERS-PATRIOTS-COLTS-STEELERS-PATRIOTS-PATRIOTS. I can livethe Steelers, they are my SECOND FAVORITE TEAM! But I hate two of the others and am indifferent to the other, save the classic UNITAS jersey I own and sometimes wear. Point is, can we let someone else win for a change?

So division winners will be STEELERS CHIEFS TEXANS AND PATRIOTS
WILDCARDS WILL BE CHARGERS AND JAGUARS
PATRIOTS AND CHIEFS will get BYES
The Jaguars will beat the Steelers and the Chargers will beat the Texans
The Jaguars will beat the Chiefs and the Patriots will beat the Chargers
We will have to endure the Patriots beating the Chargers again. Dammit.

*Don't bet your Pizza Money on anything I say. I had the Eagles coming in last place last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Default The CATS NFC 2018 PICKS

OK to the National Conference

NFC EAST
As I mentioned once or twice, the LAST Team to repeat the NFC EAST was the Philadelphia Eagles. Since 2004 there have been no repeats, but the Eagles are talented enough to do it again. They also have FATE working against them, and those odd NFL Variables that make a difference on Sundays.
But seriously, this is a talented team, a powerful team and if they go anyhing less than 12-4, then someone needs to be spanked.

The NEW YORK Football GIANTS seem to be "all IN" And a rookie RB along with Eli Manning having some decent catchers, a stronger Offensive line and a few key picks at Defense. They are ready to get a winning season.

The Dallas Cowboys are pretenders, not contenders. Behind the best O-Line in the game, the offense always looked good. But the OL is hurt, one player probably for the season and the other starters are already nursing injuries. When players are coming into the season already hurt and banged up, it is only a matter of time, sadly, before the season ends early. And Dak does not have targets, the defense has NO depth at all in the secondary, so Manning Wentz and Smith will have field days throwing. Oh and it may be about the end for Jones' little red-haired Sideline Muppet on strings too.

The Redskins are still trying to find themselves in a tricky division. Gruden may be finding a new job in January too Likely the Redskins will finish 4th but likely very few games in difference between them

EAGLES 12-4
GIANTS 9-7
COWBOYS 8-8
REDSKINS 7-9

NFC NORTH
Just today, Aaron Rogers, a top tier QB all the way, bought into a 4 year extender with the Packers Meanwhile, the VIkings will be fielding a new QB. I was not sure about this, so I called and asked a longtime friend and football analyst, the kind of guy you hire when you buy a team to help you rebuild things (You listening, Ross?) He assures me that Everything will be FINE with the Vikings and that Cousins will be the right fit for the team. (Sad that the oft injured Teddy is just water under the Bridge now...)
The Lions are supposed to be a surprise pick but they won;t see the playoffs in this league. And the Bears, well, they have a long way to go.
1VIKINGS 12-4
2 PACKERS 10-6
3 LIONS 8-8
4 BEARS 5-11

NFC SOuth
This is another one of those divisions where repeats do not happen, so in spite of the number of predictors of the Saints winning the Super Bowl (and having the best team on paper) Picking a Saints Panthers
FalconsBuccaneers finish same as last year would be risky. About the only safe pick is that the Buccaneers WILL finish last, and Dirk Koetter, one of the worse coaches in the NFL, will finally get the long overdue Black Spot. As for the others, the Panthers will have Norv Turner instead of Mike Shula working the offense and I think that will be a big improvement. The Saints do have the best team in the division on paper. And the Falcons still have a loaded roster Making this one difficult division to pick because all three teams look to improve.

1 PANTHERS 12-4
2 SAINTS 11-5
3 FALCONS 10-6
4 BUCCANEERS2-14

NFC WEST

Let me say this again: The 49ers WILL NOT go to the Playoffs. Just because a new QB that no one in the division had seen or understood snuck in and won a few games catching a few guys off guard LAST YEAR does not equal success this year. If Playing free Agent Fantasy football Worked, then the RAMS would win the Super Bowl. But DO not rule the Seahawks out. They still have the leagues coolest coach, I would take a second rate Pete Carroll team over anything coached by Gase or Garrett any day.

1 RAMS 13-3
2 SEAHAWKS 8-8
3 49ers 8-8
4 CARDINALS 5-11

BYE RAMS PANTHERS
WILDCARD PACKERS SAINTS
SAINTS take out the VIkings and the Packers fall to the EAGLES
The RAMS Knock off the EAGLES whilst the Saints Roll over the Panthers

The RAMS take it to the PATRIOTS in the SUPER BOWL (AGAIN) but this time, the RAMS win

Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM

1,587 posts, read 989,423 times
2018 prediction:
Jalen Ramsey will continue with a stream of moronic commentary on NFL offensive players. Ramsey was in the news today saying Amendola is terrible.. after Amendola put almost 100 yards & 2 TDs on Jacksonville in their last match up. Ramsey also diminished Gronk, who routinely drags cornerbacks around the field.
Predictably, the sports media who fawn over the obnoxious & outspoken (but often unintelligible) defensive backs are praising Ramsey for his 'honesty'.

A pass defense that gave up Amendola's almost 100 yards & 2 TDs in a playoff game.. calling that receiver 'terrible', & the worthless sports media sees/exposes no irony. I guess the good news, they're taking a temporary break from celebrating Josh Norman.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
2018 prediction:
Jalen Ramsey will continue with a stream of moronic commentary on NFL offensive players. Ramsey was in the news today saying Amendola is terrible.. after Amendola put almost 100 yards & 2 TDs on Jacksonville in their last match up. Ramsey also diminished Gronk, who routinely drags cornerbacks around the field.
Predictably, the sports media who fawn over the obnoxious & outspoken (but often unintelligible) defensive backs are praising Ramsey for his 'honesty'.

A pass defense that gave up Amendola's almost 100 yards & 2 TDs in a playoff game.. calling that receiver 'terrible', & the worthless sports media sees/exposes no irony. I guess the good news, they're taking a temporary break from celebrating Josh Norman.
Makes me enjoy watching TV with the sound off sometimes.....

Old 09-03-2018, 04:09 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Super Bowl: Chargers over Vikings

Phillip Rivers League MVP

Old 09-03-2018, 08:54 PM

7,240 posts, read 8,248,910 times
I'm going to make this short and sweet.

Jaguars over Eagles in SB 53.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 AM

A few things to predict for this seaason

* A few coaches will be fired before it is over.
Likely candidates: Dirk Koetter, Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson and Adam Gase.

* If a team is hosting a game, playing in the city where they operate, then they might have home field advantage.

* Generally, the team that scores the most points will win the game. Keep this in mind when making week by week predictions.

* Roger Goodell will continue to irritate and aggravate fans and the media alike.

* Teams that finish strongest have an advantage in the playoffs over teams that start strong then fizzle out at the end of the season.

* Sadly, someone will probably get hurt playing football. Injuries are a side effect of the roughness of the game.

AND FINALLY

The Cat will continue to entertain.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:19 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,136,930 times
All I'm going to predict is that this NFL season will bring plenty of surprises, laughter, happiness, jaw-dropping plays, and some disappointments... but most importantly: EXCELLENT FOOTBALL!

Just like last season!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:13 PM

929 posts, read 298,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
A few things to predict for this seaason

* A few coaches will be fired before it is over.
Likely candidates: Dirk Koetter, Jay Gruden,Hue Jackson, Adam Gase
Vance Joseph goes out first. Jay Gruden should have been axed long ago. He’s terrible. Gase, I ordinarily wouldn’t agree this soon. He is only one season removed from a shocking 10-6 playoff season in his first year. I tend to think he is going to pan out well in Miami. But if his aggressive “my way or the highway” approach blows up in his face this year and Jay Ajayi continues to shine in Philly, then yeah he’ll be likely gone, but not until after the season.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 AM

16,532 posts, read 21,003,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Vance Joseph goes out first.

Yes!

There were more than a couple games where Vance Joseph's game calling came into question last season. And his personnel decisions? Well, when your kick returner fumbles six kicks during the season, you have to wonder about what Vance saw in Isiah McKenzie's so called "unlimited potential." Then there is the locker room problems from mid November, especially after the clock cleaning courtesy of ex-Bronco coach Adam Gase and his Miami Dolphins 35-3. That game? Heh, oy!!

The Broncos bye week is after week 9. The first half of the schedule shows a lot better than the last half. If Joseph gets to the half way point with a 6-3 record, he's ok. If he's 3-6, I think Elway shows him the door. If he finishes with a 9-7 record, I think he stays. Time will tell though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or