U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 AM

4,797 posts, read 11,974,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Itís that time of year! The week 1 slate kicks off this Thursday with the Falcon @ Eagles. Get your picks in!
falcons win this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 08:38 AM

4,797 posts, read 11,974,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
Looking forward to another season of awful picking and even worse analysis by yours truly.

Falcons @ Eagles-Eagles already proved they can win the Super Bowl with Nick Foles under center, so I'll take them to squeak by the Dirty Birds in what should be a spectacular Thursday night dandy to kick off the season.

Bills @ Ravens--I can't imagine picking the Bills in too many games this year. It looks like they're in for a rough season. Somehow Nathan Peterman won the starting QB job and he could be in for a long night with the Bills patchwork offensive line. Ravens aren't that great either, but Flacco and company should be able to win this at home.

Jaguars @ Giants-Outside of the London games, I'm still not sold on the Jaguars. They supposedly have a lights-out defense, but Eli has ODB back and a future star in Saquon Barkley to hand the rock to. I think the Giants will bounce back from a horrible season.

Bucs @ Saints--Winston got suspended three games for being a weirdo. I'm tempted to pick Tampa Bay here since there's no Winston to smoke. But, come on now, it's N'awlins at home with Drew Brees and Alvin Kamara. Saints should take this easily.

Texans @ Patriots-I'll bite on this upset pick. I think with Watson back that this will be a shootout just like last year's regular season matchup between these teams. At the present time with Edelman suspended and the Patriots backfield hobbled, I believe Watson will outduel Brady and get the win. Pats dropped the season opener last year and it didn't hurt them any. I figure they'll get a loss here and infuriate Belichick enough that the Pats will proceed to run the table and annoy most of America.

49ers @ Vikings-Here's looking at a 9-7 season, Viqueens. I know a few Vikings fans who think they're a Kirk Cousins away from winning a Super Bowl. I think they're trending towards mediocrity with their new QB and predict they'll get off to a rough start against my Niners. In Jimmy G. we trust. The guy just refuses to lose. We'll be without our number 1 running back, so it'll be all on Jimmy G's shoulders to lead us to victory. Go Niners!

Titans @ Dolphins-Yeah, I remember the Titans made the playoffs last year. Heck, they even won a playoff game. I just like the Fins now that Tannehill is back under center. No, he's not great, but I like him better than Cutler. Kenyan Drake should have a big game.

Bengals @ Colts-Somehow Marvin Lewis got a 2-year contract extension. A win here would be a good start in justifying that move. I know Luck is supposed to be the savior for the Colts, but I think the Colts will still suck this season even with Luck.

Steelers @ Browns-Watching Hard Knocks has me pretty amped on the idea of a Browns redemption season, but I can't pull the trigger on an upset pick. I remember watching Jeff Fisher's Los Angeles Rams on Hard Knocks and thinking they were gonna be good too. Maybe HBO can make any NFL team look good. I predict a dog fight. Browns always play the Steelers tough. The last three games have been decided by 4 points or less. With all this said, the Browns have only won 1 game over the last two seasons, so I'll go with the safe pick and take the Killer Bees here even if Bell doesn't end up playing. I do like the Browns to get 4 or 5 wins this season though.

Chiefs @ Chargers-Everyone seems very high on the homeless Carson Chargers this season. I'm not buying any of it. They're still the Chargers and will invent new ways to lose football games. They always suffer from injuries too. They just had to re-sign Antonio Gates again because their starting TE is out. I think the Chiefs will have another good season only to flounder in the playoffs yet again. I believe Mahomes will be an upgrade at the QB position overall. At times they'll miss the steady and heady Alex Smith, but Mahomes will be able to take the team to the next level offensively.

Seahawks @ Broncos-Now that the Broncos have a real QB (never thought I'd call Case Keenum that), I like their chances to compete against and defeat quality opponents like the Seahawks. Seahawks never seem to play that well on the road since they don't get any help from the 12th man or the homer calls.

Cowboys @ Panthers--Just like the last few years, I hate the Cowboys and won't be picking them to win any games this season. I'd rather my picking record get destroyed than to pick the Cowboys to win any game. Besides the Panthers should win this with Superman, McCaffrey and company.

Redskins @ Cardinals- As long as Sam Bradford stays upright and David Johnson stays healthy, the Cards should rebound this year. My main concern with the Cardinals is watching Bruce Arians on the sidelines. He always looks like he's going to have a heart attack.

Bears @ Packers--There's about 134 million reasons why I think the Packers will take this game. Rodgers historically has dominated Da Bears. I see that happening again in Week 1, but it's nice to see Da Bears are, at least, trying with the acquisition of Khalil Mack.

Jets @ Lions- I think Sam Darnold will be the best of this rookie QB class, but there's no way the Jets are beating Matt Stafford and Jim Bob Cooter at Ford Field. JBC has all kinds of tricks up his sleeve.

Rams @ Raiders-I'll take the Gruden Grinder in an upset and predict Marshawn Lynch will outrush Todd Gurley in this Battle of Old Los Angeles. It'll be weird seeing Jordy Nelson play for the Raiders. Rams are the better team and will still have a big year, but I like Gruden, a former MNF analyst, to win his first game on on Monday Night Football.
Niners???? Wish you were here in MN so we could make a friendly wager. The Vikes are going to WHOOP UP on the 9'ers. McKinnon was here for years and while I always liked the guy and appreciated his talents, it is very hard to hear him referred to as a "number 1" RB. Very hard. He is the lighting in a thunder and lighting tandem. I could never see him shouldering the load as a feature back.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,996 times
The First week is always the hardest to pick, and contrary to what the NFL pronouncers say, there are NO UPSETS in week one because, hey all the teams are still undefeated!!!!!!!

Last year, the Cat started off slow and then toned it down to a slink across the finish line with no one noticing. This year promises attempts at entertainment as well as some interesting picks.
So on to the week one picks

Thursday Night WHEN BIRDS ATTACK
FALCONS @ Eagles My son said to place the bet on the Falcons (or rather the pick here) I have seen a level of complacency in the Eagles, a team that has the potential to repeat. They have a few injuries I think a loss against the well stacked Dirty Birds. A loss by the Eagles will shock them back into reality, and they will run the table. The Falcons are in a tough division and after last year, are looking to win and fly high.

Buffaloes @ RAVENS A good season for the Buffaloes? Nevermore...at least not with this team. Big Joe Flacco and company had a good camp and look reay to make some things happen this year.

JAGUARS
@ Giants IF the spotted cats fail to win this one, on the road, against a new Giants team, then they are in for a long long season. They need the momentum to start today.

Buccaneers @ SAINTS The City of New Orleans is well ready for a Pirate Raid, and Drew and a company will put down the Bucs with ease.

TEXANS @ Patriots This is a hard game to pick. I doubt lightning would strike twice on opening day for the Patriots but the Texicans are just solid enough to make it happen, and if any defense can stop Old Man Brady, then these are the ones to do it.

49ers @ VIKINGS My friend, the one who told me that Cousins will be the right QB for the Vikings, says that "Cousins will be the Right QB for the Vikings." I have reservations, but against a 49ers team that is probably well understood by now, the Vikings at home will prevail.

Titans @ MY FINZ I am picking my Finz at home because of the new schemes, as well as poor coaching and gaps in the Titans lines.

Bengals @ COLTS Luck has taken this team to the playoffs before, I am not sure he has the supporting cast yet to do it again but they should be better than last year.

STEELERS @ Browns Whilst the Browns are hyped up and ready to play, lets remember that they are still the Browns, still coached by Hue Jackson and still against the STEELERS !

CHIEFS @ Chargers I trust Andy Reid to put together a good team. I trust him most places except in the Buffet Line. I do not trust the Homeless Chargers to meet expectations.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
A SUPER BOWL REMATCH
SEAHAWKS @ Broncos

Now most people are talking about how the Seahawks do not win on the road, how they do not win openers how depleted they are......Well Seriously..They are coached by Pete Carroll, one of the greats, and the COOLEST COACH in the NFL. As for the Broncos, Case Keenum? really? Well maybe, but not this time. I am taking the road team even at Mile High for the UnderHawks....

Cowboys @ PANTHERS The Cowboys are Pretenders, not Contenders........ Both teams have a lot of nagging injuries to the Offensive Lines, but the big deal on Offense is Cam Newton, who is Tier One while Dak Prescott is Bottom Tier. On Defense, I would take the Panthers for experience vs the Cowboys fly by the wire style. Big win for the Black Cats at home.

Redskins @ CARDINALS The Pesky Red Birds are due for a win at home. The Indians are off the reservation. Bruce Arians will be watching from Sunny Acres retirement home. David Johnson needs 120 yards for my FFT

Bears @ PACKERS The Bears may actually win a few games this year. Sadly. But Not this one. Thankfully.

Jets @ LIONS As much as I would like to see that kid from Oklahoma win his opener as a Rookie, I do not see him beating the Lions 3/4Billion$ QB on Monday Night in The Ford Lemon Bowl.

RAMS @ Raiders As much as I would like to see Gruden win at home on Monday Night, the RAMS seem to be a team moving forward, perhaps to the Super Bowl this year. I do wish the Rams would go back to the solid blue and white uniforms from the early 70s.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 09-05-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 12:37 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,057,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Niners???? Wish you were here in MN so we could make a friendly wager. The Vikes are going to WHOOP UP on the 9'ers. McKinnon was here for years and while I always liked the guy and appreciated his talents, it is very hard to hear him referred to as a "number 1" RB. Very hard. He is the lighting in a thunder and lighting tandem. I could never see him shouldering the load as a feature back.
I agree with your assessment on McKinnon. I live in Iowa, so I've seen many Vikings games. I've never been impressed with him. What I meant by number 1 RB is that he was number 1 on the 49ers depth chart. I actually think Matt Breida is the better RB and you'll get to see him on Sunday when my 49ers upset the Vikings. Enjoy a season of mediocrity with Kirk Cousins.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 AM

6,837 posts, read 7,897,920 times
Falcons @ Eagles
Bills @ Ravens
Jaguars @ Giants
Bucs @ Saints
Texans @ Patriots
49ers @ Vikings
Titans @ Dolphins
Bengals @ Colts
Steelers @ Browns
Chiefs @ Chargers
Seahawks @ Broncos
Cowboys @ Panthers
Redskins @ Cardinals
Bears @ Packers
Jets @Lions
Rams @ Raiders

Last Season's Total: 164-92

Last edited by ditchlights; 09-06-2018 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Add last seasons total

Old 09-06-2018, 07:54 AM

689 posts, read 338,232 times
Falcons
Ravens
Jags
Saints
Patriots
49ers
Titans
Colts
Steelers
Chiefs
Seahawks
Cowboys
Cardinals
Packers
Lions
Rams

Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 AM

3,151 posts, read 2,193,197 times
Eagles
Ravens
Jaguars
Saints
Patriots
49'ers
Titans
Colts
Steelers
Chargers
Seahawks
Panthers
Cardinals
Lions
Rams
Packers

Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,492,339 times
Last week: N/A
Overall: N/A

Week 1, outside of week 17 the hardest week of the season to pick. My goal for week 1 is to just shoot for a .500 record, anything after that is gravy.

Falcons @ Eagles. I'll bite on the Falcons here. Ring ceremony, banner raising, Eagles went through the Falcons to get there, and while the Eagles will still be celebrating, the Falcons will be smarting. Obviously, week 1 of the regular won't make up for even a quarter of what happened back in January, but the Falcons start the season with a win.
Texans @ Patriots. Another road team I'll take here. Texans with a hopefully healthy Watson will challenge the Jags for the division, and the Patriots usually start the season slow before turning it on for good after week 4. With a new D coordinator, this is as good a chance as any for the Texans to win in Foxborough.
Bills @ Ravens. I'm not sure the Ravens will be a playoff team, but if they want to be they better not be losing games like this: at home against a team that will be awful.
Steelers @ Brownies. This is why I waited until the last minute for week 1 picks. If I had picked anytime before yesterday I would have picked the Steelers and said something like "Browns will be better, not good, but not 1-31 bad either and they'll steal a few games. I want to pick them here, but I can't do it, but would I be surprised if they ended up winning?? Nope, not at all." Then after hearing the quotes out of the Pittsburgh locker room yesterday about Bell and woof! That has disaster written all over it, road game against a team that will surprise, Browns for the win.
Bungels @ Luck's Colts. How much luck will Luck have for the Colts this year?? And how many lives does Marvin Lewis have, 50?? Even a cat would be dead by now!
Titans @ Dolphins. Dolphins steal one at home
Niners @ Vikings. Could be a potential playoff preview that the Vikes defense will win as the Jimmy the Great legacy dies in Minnesota.
Bucs @ Saints. Saints will not be smoking a Winston, mainly because Jamies will be smoking one himself sitting this one out. Easiest pick of the week (I'm going to start doing that this year, see how many of these "easy" ones I get right?? I'm going to guess no more than 3).
Jags @ Giants. Last year the Jags went to the swamp and somehow lost to the Jets, they won't lose this one to a bad team at the swamp.
Chiefs @ Homeless Chargers. The Patrick Mahomes era starts off with a loss as the Chargers actually do just enough to win.
Redskins @ Pesky Redbird Cardinals. See "Chiefs Chargers." Alex Smith isn't flashy by any means, but the Redskins don't need him to be flashy; they just need him to take care of the ball and win games, which is what he will do about 50% of the time.
Jerry's World @ Panthers. Not sold at all on the Panthers this year. I think they are in for a rough season which starts with a home loss to Zeke, Dak and the Boys in week 1 which will set the tone for the Panthers season long struggle.
Seahawks @ Broncos. Broncos at home over the revamped Hawks secondary.
Bears @ Packers. Rivalry game, so this will be a close game. Bears have actually played well in GB the last couple of seasons.
Grounded Jets @ Roaring Lions. Jets will be grounded on the Detroit Wayne County airport tarmac.
Rams @ Send them to Vegas already Raiders. NFC West looks to be pretty competitive, so it would be wise for the Rams to win the "Relocation Bowl."

Old 09-06-2018, 02:18 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
Let it be known I am changing my pick to Philly tonight. I’ll edit my first post in this thread.

Winners:
Philly
Baltimore
NY Giants
New Orleans
Houston
Minnesota
Miami
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
LA Chargers
Denver
Carolina
Arizona
NY Jets
LA Rams
Green Bay

Old 09-06-2018, 02:23 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I was 2016 champ. Last year. Not so much. But I am looking to get back on track this year and that starts with an Atlanta victory over the defending champs on Thursday Night!
I guess I can't edit this for some reason. So I'll just quote it. Going with the Eagles instead of Atlanta tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football