U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:20 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,847,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I have no problem with your list of the top defenders though I think Aaron Donald already belongs there after 4 years,,,

I don't get your premise that the NFC has been the dominant conference over the past decade....just not supported by facts.

Interconference records exactly even over past 10 years with each conference having more wins in 5 out of the 10 seasons...

https://www.ryansleeper.com/50-years...-nfc-matchups/

Super Bowl Champions also even 5-5 over past 10 years

I just don't see an opinion of the top defenders tipping the scales for the NFC particularly when this is an offensive driven league by far.

How about the top QB's of this era, much more important to team success than a hodge podge of defenders..how many Super Bowl Rings for your top 10 defenders....that would be 4...hardly proof of a "dominance"

Brady

Manning

Rodgers

Brees

Rothliesberger

Rivers

Wilson

Luck

Ryan

Newton

Again...5-5 but those 5 AFC QB's have 9 SB rings compared to 3 for the 5 NFC QB's

There has been no NFC dominance over the past decade....great "teams" aren't necessarily collections of great "stars" that has been proven many times over...
The decade I'm talking about isn't the last decade of football. It's the 2010s decade of football, beginning with 2010. Super Bowls are split 4-4 between the conferences so far this decade, but consider this:

•Patriots have half of AFC Super Bowl wins; four different NFC teams have won it all...

•10 different NFC teams have played in a conference championship, compared to 7 for the AFC...

•the best defenses (2011-2013 Niners, 2012-2015 Hawks) of this era came from the NFC. The best offenses (different incarnations if the Saints, '15 Panthers, '16 Falcons, 2010-2011 Pack) also were NFC...

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe what I'm really talking about is the NFC is more balanced, wider parity, but not necessarily better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 07:22 AM

1,191 posts, read 482,771 times
Definitely think Darrelle Revis belongs in the conversation here. Maybe Patrick Peterson, too.

Agreed with the folks who brought up Aaron Donald and Patrick Willis as well.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 AM

23,655 posts, read 33,488,749 times
Yes a homer pick but what about Julius Peppers? He has been able to have good sack numbers even transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and has 6 pro bowls in the last 10 years. Even had 11 sacks at age 37 on a pitch count last year.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
Yes, a vote for Peppers no doubt. I was mad the Packers didn't bring him back, they should have.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 PM

4,989 posts, read 11,072,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The decade I'm talking about isn't the last decade of football. It's the 2010s decade of football, beginning with 2010. Super Bowls are split 4-4 between the conferences so far this decade, but consider this:

•Patriots have half of AFC Super Bowl wins; four different NFC teams have won it all...

•10 different NFC teams have played in a conference championship, compared to 7 for the AFC...

•the best defenses (2011-2013 Niners, 2012-2015 Hawks) of this era came from the NFC. The best offenses (different incarnations if the Saints, '15 Panthers, '16 Falcons, 2010-2011 Pack) also were NFC...

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe what I'm really talking about is the NFC is more balanced, wider parity, but not necessarily better...
I would definitely agree with you on that point, there is more parity in the NFC which makes it tougher for a NFC team to do what the Pats have done in the AFC.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:03 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Revis is a good call. Had he been drafted a couple years later he would be a no brainer.

Looks like Mack had an impact last night. But Rodgers did what Rodgers does. Von Miller with a great start to the season too.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,847,551 times
Once again I was validated last night that Donald is not only the best defender in The League, not only is he levels above Mack as a player, Donald seriously may be the most dominant interior player ever. We haven't seen this dominant of individual defensive play since peak JJ Watt, which was inarguably one of the greatest four-year defensive runs ever (2012-2015). In an era of record setting offense, we've been treated to two of the best defensive players to ever play this great game...

Khalil Mack is not close to what Watt was--and by the way, Watt is in the running for CBOY and this 2018, "diminished" JJ Watt is as pretty much as good as Mack is--, and Khalil Mack is not close to what Aaron Donald is...

I supported my arguments earlier in the thread, I've only been given more evidence to strengthen my argument. Mack is a great player, and his addition to the Bears has changed that franchise. But we've seen him before. There is no comp for Watt or Donald!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:46 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
Great posts, good points, and in spite of a high flying offense, you need some play makers on defense.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 AM

Murk you are arguing something that nobody has ever argued against nor cares to argue about. The peak of JJ Watt and Aaron Danold’s careers are on another level than anyone else in the league. That is a fact that everyone knows. But why do you keep trying to bring down Mack by saying he is not as good as two future first ballot Hofer’s? Nobody is saying he is as good or better than those two. But that doesn’t mean Mack isn’t still a great player.

Big Ben is a great QB but isn’t in the same league as Brady. So should we also crap all over Big Ben now too?

Old 11-20-2018, 06:53 AM

Bowman, Von Miller, Keuchley, none of them are in the same class as Watt or Danold IMO. So again why are you singling out Mack against those two specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or