U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 03:28 PM

21,608 posts, read 14,388,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
This is the story of 90% of the Thursday night games. Most are unwatchable.
Even worse is MNF, those are really awful. ESPN grossly overpaid for those games, in comparison to NBC, CBS and Fox, and end up with one dud after another.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:41 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,263,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
This is the story of 90% of the Thursday night games. Most are unwatchable.
Exactly and I don’t watch them myself except Dallas/Detroit Thanksgiving. The London/Mexico City games I won’t watch either generally. And Calico I got to be honest with you I don’t watch Monday night games either and I have been losing interest in Sunday night games a bit too

Old 09-07-2018, 03:55 PM

2,138 posts, read 595,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If you're upset about the "politicizing" of the NFL you're a snowflake. None of that distraction is going to make me watch less football. Games like last night's will, though. Too many penalties and poor execution by both teams made for a very boring contest. The late start killed an otherwise exciting finish. Too tired to care at that point.
Agreed, odanny. If you care so much about something that doesn't even get shown on TV the large majority of the time, you are certainly a snowflake. Keep in mind, those same people kept watching through all the other issues that has plagued the NFL, but draw the line at peaceful protest.... Not cheating or domestic abuse and arrests or failed drug tests, etc etc. Shows that it is more about their prejudices than anything.

Anywho.... My husband and I don't watch a whole lot of the NFL anymore simply because it is sooooo boring most of the time. I know in my head that the game plays faster than college, but it doesn't seem like it when watching. Plays seem to drag out, there is a longer period between snaps, more penalties... Games like last night certainly don't help either. It was just a sloppy, boring game. Bad play calling, bad officiating, slow and boring.

We will take NCAA over NFL every day of the week. It is just a better product, and has nothing to do with politics. Because we are adults, and freak out over people expressing an opinion.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:17 PM

3,168 posts, read 1,806,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Read it again.

I care about the game, not the platform.
I guess the words you used confused me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
For me I don't even watch NFL anymore.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:17 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,966,382 times
I think it is a lot of things, certainly the political aspect is polarizing to a certain degree, but I don't think to a large degree.

My Patriots who seem to be embroiled in controversy each year only to keep returning to the big dance have turned many off to the NFL.

The lack of any teams returning to relevance each year. Not too many teams have a good two or three year run lately.

Quarterbacks, I think fans want to see some winning quarterback, receiver combinations of years past. We have quite a few teams that have been going through quarterbacks like an old lady with nickels on the nickel slots.

Netflix, Amazone, Roku, Hulu and the likes. There are so much great programming and series now. It is so common to hear friends talk about binge watching full seasons in a weekend.

Maybe also like the Shriners, Masons and other groups of years past that have been seeing diminished membership...........people just have so much going on in their lives now.

Those teams just up and moving to new locations just to get new stadium.

I think it is a lot of little things that add up big.

My three cents!

Old 09-07-2018, 04:19 PM

3,168 posts, read 1,806,944 times
There have been politics around professional sports for decades. What has changed is how television, in this 24 hour a day need something, anything talk about world.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:31 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,263,977 times
^^ Exactly and I think all professional sports have gotten political and besides every thread that we had about NFL ratings have gotten political and I suspect this threat will get political too and this threat could get closed soon just like other nfl ratings thread.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:16 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,132,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Exactly and I donít watch them myself except Dallas/Detroit Thanksgiving. The London/Mexico City games I wonít watch either generally. And Calico I got to be honest with you I donít watch Monday night games either and I have been losing interest in Sunday night games a bit too
Hang in there, Jonny. Eventually you won't be watching any of 'em.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:19 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,132,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I think it is a lot of things, certainly the political aspect is polarizing to a certain degree, but I don't think to a large degree.

My Patriots who seem to be embroiled in controversy each year only to keep returning to the big dance have turned many off to the NFL.

The lack of any teams returning to relevance each year. Not too many teams have a good two or three year run lately.

Quarterbacks, I think fans want to see some winning quarterback, receiver combinations of years past. We have quite a few teams that have been going through quarterbacks like an old lady with nickels on the nickel slots.

Netflix, Amazone, Roku, Hulu and the likes. There are so much great programming and series now. It is so common to hear friends talk about binge watching full seasons in a weekend.

Maybe also like the Shriners, Masons and other groups of years past that have been seeing diminished membership...........people just have so much going on in their lives now.

Those teams just up and moving to new locations just to get new stadium.

I think it is a lot of little things that add up big.

My three cents!
Good thoughts, JB!

Old 09-07-2018, 05:41 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
I agree, JBTwinz, many good thoughts in your post, and isn't just one thing about the NFL no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football